Concertina Book From 1886 Music On Web

Please remember that this was a private collector who assembled copied music scores into a book form for his own personal use.It was not a book done by a publisher. It therefore shows only this players personal choice of music at the time it was assembled. There is still a long way to go however he may have got into music in minor keys as he progressed.

Al

Ah...I see. I didn't realize that this wasn't published. That makes this especially interesting, then. Was this music already arranged for concertina (and published) in other collections, and then simply recollected, or are there arrangements in his volumes that are unique to this collection? There is mention of a tutor - why would he make a tutor for his own personal use? Was the tutor from another publication, and he just stuck it in with everything else? It seems unlikely that one would write an instruction manual only for oneself, so I would guess that it's written independent of all the other music? Sorry if this has been covered already, I'm just very curious as to the nature of this collection.

The music all appears to have been published and written for concertina by Concertina players Regondi,G Case, Blagrove etc and is a representation of music played late 19th Century.The Music has been copied from the original music and Juliette is printing the front covers of the music as she progresses through the book. The Tutor part is more complicated exercises and is towards the back of the book ,not where you or I would expect to find them. This is almost like a scrap book of music personal to the person who compiled it. There may possibly be music in this collection that is unique if the original sheet music no longer exists. I can understand your questions as only Juliette and I have seen the original.

Al

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The entire collection seems to be in the major keys except for some of the short pieces in the Tutor portion of the book.

The book is a compilation of pieces and exercises and scales. It includes instruction on playing ornaments, playing staccato, etc.. For a person who reads music, or who is willing to put in the effort to learn to read music, it could be considered a very good tutorial and collection, complete in itself. It is a little strange, that it seems to be put together backwards, but then, it was a single person who had this bound for themselves and so they did it the way they wanted, without regard to the idea of it making sense to anyone else.

I also mentioned a forthcoming tutorial that I will publish based in part on this collection. However the tutorial will include diagrams and photos as well as a greater variety of music including modern pieces and songs. So this might have been a little confusing in my original post.

So I now intend to publish my own tutorial on my website, also free of charge. This is not because I am independent financially, don’t I wish, but because there was very little available for me when I started myself and I think I will ultimately benefit from encouraging as many people as possible to learn to play. The sun is out here in France and the old Templar Church is warming up and so I'm planning to record some more videos of my playing soon. I will include close ups of my hands, then you will see what I'm doing. The idea will be to offer videos of how to learn to play the English concertina.

By the way, here is a little quote from the book. “ The 1st _ 2nd _ 3rd _ and 4th _ (or little) fingers being kept over the their respective rows of finger stops” I think people should play however it makes sense to them, but I play, more or less, according to the above rule. But, never-the-less, I don’t think anyone should advise others that there is but one path to playing well, there appear to be many. Just thought I’d throw this into the pot for stirring………. ;)

My father any I have developed a new kind of concertina tablature that works with the English concertina quite well. It allows players, who don’t read standard music notation, to pick out pieces with chords, etc. within minutes. Seems to work pretty well and is easy to print. I will offer some of this tablature as soon as we are sure of all the details as to the best way to proceed with it.

I have lots of other new things going on with the concertina that I’m itching to tell about soon.

I hope to put up another set of pages if this book in the next few days,

Thanks for your support,

Juliette

Edited by squeezora

Hellon everyone,

I just posted another 10 pages of the Concertina Book. Now we're up to page 70.

I've been redoing my website and adding more artwork and photos of concertinas. Please have a look at:

http://www.juliettedaum.com/index.html

I will be regularly posting new drawings and paintings.

I'm working with a company in Limoges to produce porcelain mugs, etc., decorated with concertina artwork.

regards to all,

Juliette

Blimey Juliette, you've gone all psychedelic. Concertinas flying on sycamore wings!

There's some lovely music in this collection isn't there. If I played English I'd be delighted to get quite a few of these. Are you working on any of them?

Shame there's no duet stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm happy to report that I just put up another 21 pages of music from the "CONCERTINA BOOK" on my website at <http://www.juliettedaum.com/ > I'm getting close to the tutor part of the book and will be making videos of some of the special exercises.

Juliette

Would it be too much to ask you to record some of the music before excercises?

I looked through some of the scores and found them to be quite typical, employing lots of playing in thirds, lots of music goes up high, where, to my opinion, Concertina doesn't sound too convincing. Very little in terms of counter-melody, and harmonizing is done very simply. I'm always on the lookout for new music, that suites my abilities, and would appreciate a glance on how it really sounds.

Thanks.

It seems there isn't actually a link to the concertina book page from your home page. However, it can be found directly here.

Not in the menu on the left, but on the upper right side, there's a link called "Free Concertina Sheet music, a Collection from 1886"

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Leonard

m3838 wrote >

Would it be too much to ask you to record some of the music before excercises?

Squeezora>

I plan to do that at some time in the future. Right now, though, I'm working hard on a getting a full concert ready and so I don't have much extra time.

m3838

I looked through some of the scores and found them to be quite typical, employing lots of playing in thirds, lots of music goes up high, where, to my opinion, Concertina doesn't sound too convincing. Very little in terms of counter-melody, and harmonizing is done very simply.

Squeezora

Some of it's quite nice, but remember that it is written in the style of the way the concertina technique was at the time (1880's). That is why I like to play a lot of classical guitar and Renaissance/Baroque lute scores, because the scores are already arranged in a way that works out well for me on the English concertina.

I think some of your aversion to the high notes on the concertina might be the quality of the reeds of the concertinas you are familiar with. I like the tone of Aeola reeds, even up high. But I too, prefer the lower ranges, which I also prefer with most other instruments.

I'm always on the lookout for new music, that suites my abilities, and would appreciate a glance on how it really sounds.

Me too, that's one of the many reasons why I like to listen to other instruments like guitar.

Juliette

Edited by squeezora

• 1 month later...

Dear Lady,

May we humbly ask when the next set of music will be up as myself and my lady wife are very much looking forward to trying out some of the pieces with various instruments. This is absolutely wonderful and a true gem. Our greatest thanks to yourself and Alan for bringing this wonderful text to the public.

Michael

• 2 months later...
Juliette

I was wondering if page 92 onwards contained exercises?

Thanks

I have written to Juliette regarding the book Nanette ,but I am waiting for a reply.

If I get any response I will post it,or better still that she replies to your posting.

Al

Juliette

Thanks

I have written to Juliette regarding the book Nanette ,but I am waiting for a reply.

If I get any response I will post it,or better still that she replies to your posting.

Al

I have had a reply from France regarding the posting of the remaining pages and the situation is that the pages are normally posted by Juliett's Father who has been and still is very ill. As soon as he is well enough he has promised to post the remaining pages for you all. If circumstances are such that it becomes too difficult then the book will be returned to me for alternative action. Juliette is currently working in Germany.

Al

• 1 month later...
Juliette

Thanks

Al

I have had a reply from France regarding the posting of the remaining pages and the situation is that the pages are normally posted by Juliett's Father who has been and still is very ill. As soon as he is well enough he has promised to post the remaining pages for you all. If circumstances are such that it becomes too difficult then the book will be returned to me for alternative action. Juliette is currently working in Germany.

Al

Good news

I have heard from Juliette's Mother who informs me that more pages of the book will be posted shortly,possibly the rest of it.

This is great news as I was getting a bit concerned about the situation.Due to family commitments we must assume that the Tutor Video based on this book by Juliette may not happen.

Al