Concertina Book From 1886 Music On Web

I promised to give you an update on the situation regarding this book.

It is now back in the UK with me.

I am considering many options that have been offered to me with regards to making this book available as a total download.

Juliette has kindly done as many pages as her circumstances have allowed.

I think instead of scanning the pages a better option may be photographing them and then posting the photo of each page.Your advice is welcomed with regards this suggestion.

One way or another this book will be available in total to you all as soon as arrangements can be made.

Al

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promised to give you an update on the situation regarding this book.

It is now back in the UK with me.

I am considering many options that have been offered to me with regards to making this book available as a total download.

Juliette has kindly done as many pages as her circumstances have allowed.

I think instead of scanning the pages a better option may be photographing them and then posting the photo of each page.Your advice is welcomed with regards this suggestion.

One way or another this book will be available in total to you all as soon as arrangements can be made.

Al

Alan,

The offers made by myself still stand as offered. If you where going to photograph the pages may I suggest doing so with a digital camera which would than allow for a more direct loading of the image to the net. I hope that Juliette's family is doing well and that her fathers health has improved (having not heard anything either way). I do have a 5Mpixel camera and the ability to direct link it computer if that would help (greater than 600 dpi quality would be best done as Pdf's to preserve image quality while keeping file size down).

Again what ever your choice is. It is up to you and honored. I thank you for undertaking this work to make this music available to us.

Michael

Edited to correct grammar

Edited by Michael Marino

I think instead of scanning the pages a better option may be photographing them and then posting the photo of each page.

Actually, scanning is easier and gives better results with a lot less fuss than photographing each page.

Is the problem disassembling the book to make it lie flat on the scanner? It'll be difficult to get a suitable photograph with the book lying open also. I'd speak to someone who's done this sort of thing before. Who scanned the Wheatstone ledgers? Good quality is worth a bit of patience.

I think instead of scanning the pages a better option may be photographing them and then posting the photo of each page.

Actually, scanning is easier and gives better results with a lot less fuss than photographing each page.

Is the problem disassembling the book to make it lie flat on the scanner? It'll be difficult to get a suitable photograph with the book lying open also. I'd speak to someone who's done this sort of thing before. Who scanned the Wheatstone ledgers? Good quality is worth a bit of patience.

The Wheatstone Ledgers were digitized by Robert Gaskins using a scanner. You can read all about how he did it at http://www.horniman.info/DOCUMNTS/HOWTO.HTM

Chris

The Wheatstone Ledgers were digitized by Robert Gaskins using a scanner. You can read all about how he did it at http://www.horniman.info/DOCUMNTS/HOWTO.HTM

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris we are looking at another possibility at the moment which may be quicker.

Al

• 6 months later...

I thought I would update you all with regards to this book. It has been returned to me from distant parts and I have been giving it a rest before setting it off on another adventure.

I will let you know shortly when the complete book is available as a download. I am investigating a few options and I will let you know the details shortly.

Al

I thought I would update you all with regards to this book. It has been returned to me from distant parts and I have been giving it a rest before setting it off on another adventure.

I will let you know shortly when the complete book is available as a download. I am investigating a few options and I will let you know the details shortly.

Al

Ratface (Danny) has a link on page two that is still working and gives you many of the pages of this book.

I propose to give you the rest.

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting up an old topic, but would anybody happen to know where these pages are available today? There's one song I was looking for, but I've lost my printout and can't remember the name of the piece.

Many thanks!

Patrick

Would anyone happen to have the table of contents of the songs that were scanned? There's a piece I've been trying to remember, but I don't have the original files anymore. Does anyone happen to have the files from this?

Patrick

Never mind, I did find it here. Thanks folks! "Turkish Music" was the tune I was looking for.

http://www.concertina.org/2011/04/08/the-concertina-book-of-music/

Patrick

It seems this is only the first half of the book... the zip files of Alan's scans (photos) which had been posted on the ICA site are gone, and it seems Juliette Daum's recent website revamp made her JPEGs disappear too. I tried my luck on the Wayback Machine, but they hadn't crawled the ICA zips. If anyone has these, I'd be willing to collate them into a PDF with a table of contents

The good news is I still have the book.

I thought the ICA had all the pages on their files.

This worries me about letting the book go and it will be lost forever.

I must have all these photos I throw nothing away.I will have a look.

Al

OK I have found the photos I took of the book pages they are in two files.( 110 MB and 59.4 MB)

To send over each individual photo would take ages .Your advice would be appreciated.

Please note these photos carry on from those ones that Juliette published.

I am in the process of moving so please excuse any delay.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Thanks Alan! Take your time, as personally I did find the piece I wanted. It would be nice to have better scans in a PDF file of sorts. If they can all be put together, can they be distributed as a free ebook on Amazon or something? Now that would be interesting... Or even a $1 ebook?

Thanks Alan! Take your time, as personally I did find the piece I wanted. It would be nice to have better scans in a PDF file of sorts. If they can all be put together, can they be distributed as a free ebook on Amazon or something? Now that would be interesting... Or even a $1 ebook?

I do work with Project Gutenberg in producing e-Books from out of copyright material.

Music is a little tricky - they want to find a format that will stand the test of time. Currently the "Best Practice" is to produce a book with pages of music as a picture book (ie a book with the music as pictures) and in addition to transcribe the music and produce a high quality PDF, a midi, and a file of musicXML so tese can be printed out or played.

Books are produced as HTML, epub and mobi (for kindle) forms, but currently only the HTML will support the pdf's etc. The other eBook formats just ignore it (though you get the music as jpgs) .

If you think this is worth doing, I can look at making it an official project for Distrubuted Proofreaders http://www.pgdp.net/which means that the book would end up (eventually) in the public domain on Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page (It would need to be proposed to them and accepted as meeting copyright and other requirements).

Or I could see what I could with the book creation tools and run it through that process independently.

Chris

or taking it on as a

>If you think this is worth doing, I can look at making it an official project for Distrubuted Proofreaders

This does seem a worthwhile project, doesn't it? And if in Gutenberg, it would be preserved. I'm liking' that. Is that something we should be looking at as a group for a number of these archival books that I've collected over the years from this group? Make them more accessible and searchable for all to use? "concertina music" Which brings my mind to the subject of: I wonder if that would be a route for ICA to go with its materials. If they have limited funds maybe it would be better to use those funds to support this larger organization that specializes in just information storage--rather than try to do it on their own? I'm not very politically savvy, so to my simple mind that seems a nice marriage of experitise? ??

mutopiaproject.org has similar goals as (what I know of) Project Gutenberg, but is focused on transcribing music (into lilypond).

Maybe that would be more suitable then ... I think that tackling music is fairly new on Gutenberg, some of the music group seem to use lillypond, but they don't (so far) distribute the source file, just use it for the PDF etc.

(I'd still be willing to give it a try with PG :-) )

Chris