Concertina Book From 1886 Music On Web

Thanks to the kindness of Alan Day for sharing this book with me, I have been able to scan and place on the internet, a wonderful collection of music for concertina along with excercises and other helps to learning and performing on the concertina.

This book really shows the very high level of playing during the later part of the 19th century. I would have loved to have found such pieces available at the time I got serious about learning the concertina 8 years ago. My father searched but couldn't find anything like this.

You can see and download the first 20 pages of music at my website and I will try to put about 20 additional pages up every day or so. There is no charge for any of the downloads.

Please let me know here what you think of this book after you have a look and offer any suggestions you might think of.

You will find the book at < www.juliettedaum.com >

or click on < http://www.juliettedaum.com/index.html >

My site is in both the French and English languages.

Again we have Alan Day to thank for his foresight to save this collection for posterity.

Enjoy,

Juliette

Edited by squeezora

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juliette,

where on your site is it?? I just took a look and did not see it.

Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Hello Seanc,

On the main page of my site I put up a picture of the book and there is a link next to it. If you have visited my website before your memory might still have the old index page in it. Click reload and the updated page should come up.

Thanks and Enjoy!

Juliette

Hello, Juliette!

It seems an interesting book. Thank you very much for this treasure.

Your website has a new look!

P.D. Les photographies sont magnifiques! J'aime la photo qui s'appelle "BERRIES !!!!". Toutes les photos sont très jolies.

P.D. (in English). The photos are magnificient. I love la photo called "BERRIES !!!!" All the photos are very nice!

P.D.2. I wrote the "P.D." in French and English to practise both languages. If I don't practise French, I'm going to forget it!

Have downloaded the current pages and looking at it; it is a wonderful work that truly set the mind to figuring out what the best fingerings of the passages would be. Also ideas of adding other Treble cleft instruments in just for fun. Thank you and Alan so very much for this wonderful knowledge.

Michael

Towards the latter stages of the book is the Tutor section and gives exercises to work on,Juliette intends as a future down load option to play these for you so that you can hear how they sound.

It would be rather nice if anyone learns to play these tunes to demonstrate them here. Some of us play by ear and I for one would like to hear what was written in this book so many years ago.

The actual style of playing dating back to this time will be well represented on English International (about 1850 onwards) .With any luck a month or so time you will have the total package of demonstration, written music and tutor with demonstration.

Thanks Juliette for your hard work and for the nice comments.

Al

Hi All,

I've just added another 10 pages of music from the "CONCERTINA" book and I hope to have some move ready soon.

Thanks for your encouragement and the kind remarks. I will record the excercises and post those in the near future, probably as Youtube videos so you can see how they can be played.

I have several other old books, two from 1843, one from 1850, and one from 1854 that I will copy and put up on my website after I finish this book. I'm working on my own idea of an English Concertina Tutor which will be available on my website for free and will be followed up with Youtube examples.

My regards to everyone,

Juliette

Is it just me, or is there absolutely nothing written in minor in this collection? Unless I missed something, all the pieces seem pretty uniformly jaunty (even the ones marked largo. Is it just because they were transcribed from light opera? It seems like there are minor sections in light opera as well as the jaunty major ones. Don't get me wrong - it's fantastic that these are available...I just have to wonder what the editors were thinking. If you wanted pieces in minor keys did you have to buy entirely different collections?

Hi Juliette

Haven't looked at your website in a long time. You've done a lot of work, and it looks nice. Can't wait for your recorded exercises. Thanks for your efforts they are appreciated.

Leo

Is it just me, or is there absolutely nothing written in minor in this collection? Unless I missed something, all the pieces seem pretty uniformly jaunty (even the ones marked largo. Is it just because they were transcribed from light opera? It seems like there are minor sections in light opera as well as the jaunty major ones. Don't get me wrong - it's fantastic that these are available...I just have to wonder what the editors were thinking. If you wanted pieces in minor keys did you have to buy entirely different collections?

Please remember that this was a private collector who assembled copied music scores into a book form for his own personal use.It was not a book done by a publisher. It therefore shows only this players personal choice of music at the time it was assembled. There is still a long way to go however he may have got into music in minor keys as he progressed.

Al

Please remember that this was a private collector who assembled copied music scores into a book form for his own personal use.It was not a book done by a publisher. It therefore shows only this players personal choice of music at the time it was assembled. There is still a long way to go however he may have got into music in minor keys as he progressed.

Al

Ah...I see. I didn't realize that this wasn't published. That makes this especially interesting, then. Was this music already arranged for concertina (and published) in other collections, and then simply recollected, or are there arrangements in his volumes that are unique to this collection? There is mention of a tutor - why would he make a tutor for his own personal use? Was the tutor from another publication, and he just stuck it in with everything else? It seems unlikely that one would write an instruction manual only for oneself, so I would guess that it's written independent of all the other music? Sorry if this has been covered already, I'm just very curious as to the nature of this collection.

Edited by njurkowski