"inappropriate" Songs For The Concertina

As soon as I have a concertina with all the accidentals I will need, I plan to tackle that classic Patsy Cline/Willie Nelson jukebox fave: Crazy.

How this became "our song" in my marriage, I do not know. But I'm glad it is :wub:

I find hymns sound good if you ignore the words and use lots of chords, as do pompous national anthems

The other day I discovered that the Russian Nation Anthem fits beautifully on a 20 button anglo. I even got the harmony part in.

Some of my fondest memories of concerts are where there is an inappropriate judgstiposition of music. Purple Haze on cello (that was by the cellist from Damien Rice for any other indie rock fans out there) and a contradance version of Nirvana. Good times!

Hello everyone! I've been distracted for a while and came to see about getting another question answered but could not resist this post. I have just started learning concertina but play classical guitar. I have had pretty good luck with the intermediate level renaissiance era guitar music sounding very well. Also I have had fun with the Wizard Of Oz music. so far "Over the rainbow"," It Really was no miracle","come out","The coroners song""ding dong the witch is dead, lolipop guild, if--brain,merry--land of,,,, All these have sounded great on my anglo. some others ,,,,all in all....a mighty fortress is our god...penny lane...casy junior,,,,feed the birds,,,its a small world,,, send in the clowns,,,Lavender blue dilly dilly,,,siamese cat song (if you fake the harmony),,,,,,,,,,zip a dee do da,,well bunches!!! with my 20 button anglo I have not had much luck with minor keyed tunes I always thought that green sleeves or el pasa condor or scarbourough fair would sound good. well you all are very nice and I wish we could all sit in my living room with our instruments of all kinds and talk about all these fun things.

your friend

Jim

For a while, it was popular to insert TV theme music into contra dance medleys around here. One particularlly appalling example sticks in my mind: Dusty Bob to the Leave it to Beaver theme. I've also played Gilligan's Island and the Mr. Ed theme on Anglo, for dancers whose standards hopefully weren't too high..

And an open band I play with periodically stoops to playing "How Much is that Doggie in the Window" for the closing waltz, complete with howls from the band at the appropriate moments. Actually, I've played worse tunes on the concertina.

Once, for a family dance, we tried to work up a danceable rendition of the "music" from the Mario and the Five Golden Coins video game.. But the fiddler said it was beneath her dignity, which may have been a genuine first.

Edited by Jim Besser

I put popcorn in the tune-o-tron if anybody wants some~!

Oh my! That one was purged from my brain until you mentioned it. We played that in junior high band for every single pep rally. Gak! Now I'll be thinking about it all day. Or I hope not. "Rakes of Mallow" has been firmly embedded and on eternal replay this week. I was kind of hoping the same would happen with "Farewell to Whiskey," which is paired with it.

ldp, humming "Rakes" louder in my head ...

Sr. Wright:

After having to listen to the MIDI of "Popcorn" for old-time's sake, I remembered the group it was credited to as being "Hot Butter." A quick online search and I have the composer for you -- Gershon Kingsley.

We used to play that in band back-to-back with a really, really loud version of "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago.

Try to think of both as being played by sixth through eighth grade, largely kids beginning to play their instruments (and many playing too loud as well as poorly) in a gym filled with screaming peers and you'll have the effect : )

ldp

Several that I play around the house from time to time are: Bewitched, Polka Dots and Moonbeams, and Shoofly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy. One that I've added to our celtic jam's repertoir is Cluck Old Hen, which we had the pleasure to play with Riley Baugus in the audience the other night. I've started adding cajun tunes to my repertoir, although mainly to transfer them to fiddle if I have to read them with concertina (I'm trying to learn fiddle strictly by ear and so far it's working).

-Eric Root

Several that I play around the house from time to time are: Bewitched, Polka Dots and Moonbeams, and Shoofly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy. One that I've added to our celtic jam's repertoir is Cluck Old Hen, which we had the pleasure to play with Riley Baugus in the audience the other night. I've started adding cajun tunes to my repertoir, although mainly to transfer them to fiddle if I have to read them with concertina (I'm trying to learn fiddle strictly by ear and so far it's working).

-Eric Root

Anybody tried Neapolitan songs like Dicitencello vuje, Santa Lucia, Core 'ngrato? They sound fine to my ear as do Salut d'amour and Chanson de matin by Elgar.

The Aria from Bachianas Brasileiras No 5 by Villa-Lobos (originally scored for soprano and 8 cellos) is good too. On a 'note' closer to (my) home the Scottish tunes 'The Dark Island' and 'Flower of Scotland' are also worth a go.

Charles Mackay