Mary Macnamara And Martin Hayes

where are there "shameful" comments about english comments on this youtube thread? without editorializing about english concertinas, i corrected a bodhran player who knows nothing about concertinas but nonetheless helpfully announced to the world that this was an "english" concertina. my comment noted that one is unisonoric and the other bisonoric, but did not opine about their relative merits.....

i knew about this clip but have never seen it, and am delighted to see it now....mary mac rotates with two or three others as my favorite concertina player, and this is lovely....

where are there "shameful" comments

For me there was only one comment in your otherwise correct and reasonable post that was over the top..."So spare us." Perfectly normal and acceptable on our pages in the never ending debate on Irish Concertina Othodoxy which erupts from time to time (I pray to St. Cecilia this will not be one of those times). Paula the bodhran player did not clearly know the difference between an anglo or english. Hate to tell you this, but it's not a big deal more often than not with most non-concertinists inlvolved in TRAD in my perhaps aetypical experience.

Thoughtlessly slinging a "diss" (as the young say) suggests a lack of decorum which I know from reading your posts is not the case.

Sometimes the listener notices, even if they are casual in their involvement: My Dominique had one of her colleagues over of supper recently, the fabulous Irish Mezzo-Soprano Paula Murrihy. As a child she competed in TRAD dance and is a former student of the great Noel Hill. Dominique asked her to bring along her concertina. I was really having fun playing tunes with her after the meal and we both had a good laugh trying to play one another's instruments.

After Paula headed home, the ever direct Dominique (who couldn't care less about the anglo/english debate) observed, "Paula's playing sounds more Irish to me". <_<

Edited by Mark Evans

Not the usual bunch of comments on a U-Tube video, which usually get no further than "cool", "awsome" etc. What struck me about these two reels was the speed, so the listener can savour every note. When I last visited sessions in Clare the old guys were forever telling the young'uns to "slow down Sharron".

"so spare us" is pretty mild in my view, as applied to misinformation in the guise of authoritative disquisition from someone who it turns out, knows nothing about what they are giving out about. i assure you, "over the top"

would look & sound quite different.....but regardless, this thread here, concerns not that issue, but rather, the issue of merits-of-english-versus-anglo opinions, which i sat out on youtube and am sitting out here for the moment....