Bb/f Concertina

bargemans

Hi, Having been listening to Roger Edwards playing his Bb/F concertina on the Anglo International CD , I have an overpowering desire to own one. Has anybody one for sale or as a trade. I have a D/G Jeffries or a C/G Conner or even a D/G Dipper which I might be persuaded to trade. I'm only looking for a top qulity instrument from on of the premier makers. Many thanks, Andy

Hi, Having been listening to Roger Edwards playing his Bb/F concertina on the Anglo International CD , I have an overpowering desire to own one. Has anybody one for sale or as a trade. I have a D/G Jeffries or a C/G Conner or even a D/G Dipper which I might be persuaded to trade. I'm only looking for a top qulity instrument from on of the premier makers. Many thanks, Andy

Check with Greg Jowaises, a member of this forum, he had a Bb/F Wheastone Anglo for sale about a week ago.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by Ben Otto

Hi Andy,

I'm curious about the Wheatstone Linota which you won, on ebay, last month. Curious, because I wanted to know whether I was right about the serial number and dating "guess" which I made.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Andy

May have a concertina you might be interested in please email me patrickcullen54@hotmail.com.

Patrick

• 3 months later...

I am also looking for a Bb/F (36 button if possible) box. Anybody out there know of any leads?

Thanks, Rob

PS - I echo the opinion of bargemans in his appreciation of Roger Edwards playing on Anglo International. It definitetly got my attention. Does Roger have any other material available?

I am also looking for a Bb/F (36 button if possible) box. Anybody out there know of any leads?

Thanks, Rob

PS - I echo the opinion of bargemans in his appreciation of Roger Edwards playing on Anglo International. It definitetly got my attention. Does Roger have any other material available?

Hi Rob,

It's great to hear that the beautiful sonority of a top-quality anglo in Bb/F is still appreciated by some. Too bad that from the 1970s to th 1990s, so many of these were retuned to C/Gs by tuning up each reed, which has often severely compromised the tone of an entire set of once-brilliant reeds.

Unfortunately, I don't have any 36 key Bb/Fs for you. But I do have a number of unrestored Bb/F Jeffries with reeds that have never been retuned, and I will be selling off these and many other parts and projects as I work through the leftover inventory from Groff's Music, the small teaching studio and concertina shop I ran for a few years in Massachusetts. If you are interested, watch ebay or email me at groff(at)bio(dot)miami(dot)edu. Or I may find time to update my long-obsolete website, groffs.music.com (the phone number listed there is no longer mine).

Good luck and do persist in looking for an original pro-quality Bb/F, and keeping it original. Unrestored ones still surface on ebay etc., and these are some of the greatest playing and sounding concertinas ever made.

Paul

Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob,

It's great to hear that the beautiful sonority of a top-quality anglo in Bb/F is still appreciated by some. Too bad that from the 1970s to th 1990s, so many of these were retuned to C/Gs by tuning up each reed, which has often severely compromised the tone of an entire set of once-brilliant reeds.

Unfortunately, I don't have any 36 key Bb/Fs for you. But I do have a number of unrestored Bb/F Jeffries with reeds that have never been retuned, and I will be selling off these and many other parts and projects as I work through the leftover inventory from Groff's Music, the small teaching studio and concertina shop I ran for a few years in Massachusetts. If you are interested, watch ebay or email me at groff(at)bio(dot)miami(dot)edu. Or I may find time to update my long-obsolete website, groffs.music.com (the phone number listed there is no longer mine).

Good luck and do persist in looking for an original pro-quality Bb/F, and keeping it original. Unrestored ones still surface on ebay etc., and these are some of the greatest playing and sounding concertinas ever made.

Paul

I couldn't agree more with you Paul. The Bflat/F is so rich yet not as slow as lower pitches. I play it at home all the time. I totally agree with you about leaving them as they are as tuning up means there's no way back. Hope you are keeping well.

Regards

Shay

I couldn't agree more with you Paul. The Bflat/F is so rich yet not as slow as lower pitches. I play it at home all the time. I totally agree with you about leaving them as they are as tuning up means there's no way back. Hope you are keeping well.

Regards

Shay

I agree with you about the rich tone of the Bflat/F concertinas. Occasionally see an anglo with A/E reeds. Frank Edgley has made of few of these, one of which I am proud to own and play. Not sure how the speed of the reeds to voice compares to the Bflat/F, but the tone is equally rich IMO. You may want to consider an A/E, though I think they are rarer, if you can't find a quality Bflat/F. Good luck in your quest.

Edited by CaryK