Cat Attacks

When I had a cat, he hated when I played my concertina. He would bite my leg and complain until I put him out of the house.

A few years ago, while recording at a friend's house, his cat kept jumping onto my leg while I played. Eventually, it scaled my body and perched on my shoulder, hissing and yowling, swatting at the box while I continued recording. Unfortunately, due to a computer crash, that track was lost, a misfortune for the world. The cat was tripping out.

Anyone else been attacked by animals while playing? I'm just hoping it's not me or --egads-- my playing that spawns such violence.

My dog loves the violin, but when I got my first concertina, she took off. The cats hated it as well, thy came in to see what I had, as soon as I started to work with it, they flew from the room. They tend to give me wide berth when it is in my hands. But last week the dog sat and watched me play, and the cats looked on with interest, or perhaps disinterest, hard to tell with cats. I’m not sure if they like the new one better, I’m improving, or they just gave up and are adjusting. Perhaps they are secretly laughing or plotting…

But you should see them all run when the Ariette is in my hands and being pumped!

Tony

My cats are largely ambivalent except for one who absolutely adores the sound of concertinas. As soon as I start to play he has to throw himself into my lap--the volume doesn't seem to bother him--and he'll stay there until I quit playing. He would also try(often successfully) to get onto my shoulder when I played fiddle so I would generally generally wear a heavy shirt when I practiced.

I got a strange reception from a group of penguins in Antarctica. I thought it would be a good idea to play the concertina while ashore, since there may not be many players permanently there.

At the first sound, the reaction was immediate - they all headed off squarking, but almost immediately came back to investigate and sing along.

By the way, I've forgotten how to attach jpg's to the messages, can anyone remind me?

By the way, I've forgotten how to attach jpg's to the messages, can anyone remind me?

At the top of the post window there are five icons after the smilies drop down list, first is insert hyper-link, second is insert image; click that, then browse your drive or link to a web based pic. :)

Pete

The Cat (a slinch eyed rascal), slinks from the room throwing reproachful looks over his shoulder when the concertina comes out; he stays and listens to the melodeon.

The traitor! :ph34r:

Cat skins make lovely supple bellows :ph34r: ..... or would if I was supple and limber enough to catch 'em :lol:

Dave

I loved my cats. I used to use my concertina to find my cats -- they'd always come when I played! I had one cat who could hear me from way down the road and would come trotting home. (Passed on -- lived to be about 15 years old.)

I have a 'movie' taken with my camera that shows how another cat of mine, Teacup, reacted when I played my concertina. She seemed to really love it... like she thought it was another, wonderful cat or something. Climbed all over me. But, I can't stand to see the movie now, because, although she didn't attack me when I played, she did eventually go wild and attacked me -- she had a VERY crazy streak. (And, she's gone now, and I miss her!)

I ended up in hospital ER, still have scars, and had to take antibiotics (no rabies stuff needed). My daughter had had to escape with a fire ladder, out the upstairs window. It was a wild scene, and when it was over, the cat had also bitten the police officer helping us.

The cat had gone wild once before -- attacked one of our dogs. Podunk (dog) still refuses to come back in this house for very long (he went and stayed in my husband's garage/shop).

These attacks were all so strange, because the cat was so loving, otherwise! But, she had to be put to sleep. There was something really wrong -- she seemed to be really bothered, near the end, and it's weird but she seemed to want to die -- hard to explain.

Unfortunately, her sister cat had to also go -- I tried to keep her, but she started going bonkers, too, and especially since she had problems, I don't think she knew how to live without the other one. I miss her, too -- can't stand to see any pictures of her, either, now, because it all still hurts!

And, all this right after I'd just got my first and probably to-be-only tattoo -- a cat. Since I loved my cats!

PLANTS!!!!

My next pet will be a houseplant.

As for now:

I play for my rabbit and the parakeets. They seem to really enjoy the time spent.

The two dogs seem to enjoy the music, too, and they usually just plop on the floor and listen.

There have been threads before about cats, dogs, and other pets' love of the concertina, but I think Polkabeast's story wins!

My current cat either runs downstairs, or runs to the door, she can't take more than 5 minutes or so. (My playing has improved over the years, her reaction has not.)

I did have a cat awhile back that would climb up on my leg and bite my hand to try to get me to stop. That was some task, with my hands in the straps and the instrument moving - somehow she was always successful.

My two cats run out of the room when I am playing.That must tell you something.

A few funny things happened when we had a cattery,now closed the cats were OK the owners were the problem.

Our cat boarding huts were in a row with the top section for them to sleep in and the bottom section for litter trays their baskets etc.The problem was that when you opened the door of their sleeping compartment the cat was level with your face.Two Siamese cats we had boarding my wife sent me in to clean them out.As you opened the door both would attack.One bit through a leather glove I had on.Another siamese would let you in, be so affectionate that it would almost turn inside out,but when you tried to get out of the run it then attacked grabbing you around the leg to stop you from leaving. A Woman turned up to collect her cat when my wife was on the phone,"can you recognise it" I said She picked out her cat a thin black one and we put in in the basket.Luckily just before the woman left I told my wife the cattery number I had taken the cat from and she had chosen the wrong cat Her one was three times the size of the one she picked out.When asked her about this, she replied that she thought the cat had lost some weight. It had only been in a week. Another Woman turned up with her six cats loose in the car,swung the door open and all six were seen running off into the distance across the fields. One couple turned up on our doorstep ,,at one in the morning ."We have just arrived at Gatwick so we thought we would pick our cat up. This was one of the reasons for closing it down

Al

Edited by Alan Day

jejeje

You have a good history with the cats, jejeje

Well, it is not the same, but the dog that has my father-in-law howls when I play concertina near him.

I think that the sound of concertina hurts his ears.

Edited by tamborileru

jejeje

You have a good history with the cats, jejeje

Well, it is not the same, but the dog that has my father-in-law howls when I play concertina near him.

I think that the sound of concertina hurts his ears.

My son uses that excuse when he howls at my playing...

When I had a cat, he hated when I played my concertina. He would bite my leg and complain until I put him out of the house.

A few years ago, while recording at a friend's house, his cat kept jumping onto my leg while I played. Eventually, it scaled my body and perched on my shoulder, hissing and yowling, swatting at the box while I continued recording. Unfortunately, due to a computer crash, that track was lost, a misfortune for the world. The cat was tripping out.

Anyone else been attacked by animals while playing? I'm just hoping it's not me or --egads-- my playing that spawns such violence.

HA! Hillarious!

I think box playig has that effect on most critters, even the ones who can speak...

I wonder then if somebody has actaully measured sound leevls from concertinas/accordions or other free reeds, in the higher frequncies that animals can hear? It would be interestign to see a frequncy plot of the true sonic range of concertinas.

When in college, there was this rather annoying student who did not like my harmonica playing, she was always gettign in the way of my involvement with another girl student (the annoying one was her friend), so I nicknamed her "Espaniol" as a play on words i.e. "the Spaniel".

So every time she dropped by I would shout "Espaniol!", and begin blowing as hard as possible on my key of A marine band harmonica, people thought I was working on my spanish...though she never seemed to get the hint.

no insult intended to the spanish speakers among you.