Concertinatreffen Bielefeld 2008

nils

One good reason to keep this item on top of the listing is the announcement of a collection of photos that can be seen at this location (URL).

See you in Bielefeld next year? :unsure: ?

Henk,

Thanks for sharing the photos and report. Seems an ideal location for concertinists - no direct neighbours! ;)

I had thought of attending the Bielefeld school, but it would have clashed with my wife's birthday (and some other things). Next year? Cashes with my wife's birthday again :(

And anyway, there wasn't a class for "my kind" of concertina.

I don't play English, so that's out. My anglo has 30 buttons, so I don't qualify as "German". I make Irish music (being Irish!) but dance music is not really part of my musical heritage (though a competent jig or reel or two would add variety to my gigs).

What I would really enjoy would be a class for Anglo Concertina as such, paying attention to harmonisation, accompaniment, different keys, different styles, different rhythms, melodic phrasing. Playing melodies over an accompaniment, accompanying solo instruments or singers (including oneself), playing fully harmonised pieces - does anyone know of concertina schools or workshops that offer that?

That's what I do now to the best of my ability, but I'm sure that there's still a lot to learn. Looks like Bielefeld would be a nice place to learn it, and although it's closer to NL than to my part of Germany (near Stuttgart) I wouldn't have to enter a different language zone to get there.

Cheers,

John

John,

if your main interest is not a "How to play Anglo" workshop you would fit into the English class very well. We do exactly what you are looking for. In fact there are some more Anglo players who would be interested in other Anglo styles.

Most years there have been English Concertinas in the Irish workshops. I believe the workshops are as much about the music as about a concertina system.

The teachers in Bielefeld never minded this mixture.

German Concertina: It's the two row double reed concertina with long bellows made in Italy, Saxony or China.

Sometimes the German Three Row (Chemnitzer) or the Bandonion are played as well in this class.

Nils

German Concertina: It's the two row double reed concertina with long bellows made in Italy, Saxony or China.

Sometimes the German Three Row (Chemnitzer) or the Bandonion are played as well in this class.

Nils

Nils,

I think we know what is meant by a German concertina. I italicized it in my question only because I was curious to know what sorts of tunes were being taught in its workshop, not those taught in the Irish concertina workshop (too boring! :lol: ).

At one time, I'm sure there were some quite interesting dance tunes being played in Germany on these, and I was wondering if you folks were resurrecting any during the workshop.

Cheers,

Dan

What I would really enjoy would be a class for Anglo Concertina as such, paying attention to harmonisation, accompaniment, different keys, different styles, different rhythms, melodic phrasing. Playing melodies over an accompaniment, accompanying solo instruments or singers (including oneself), playing fully harmonised pieces - does anyone know of concertina schools or workshops that offer that?

Hi John

You are not very modest in your wishes but... When you hurry and don't mind a different language zone, you could go quickly to the Netherlands (Nijmegen) to join the "trek er es uut" event. I know Johan Verbeek gives a concertina workshop and he might fulfil some of your wishes. His style is very original and is directed to harmonies, chords etc. You can hear his playing on the RTLP. I also heard his playing when he visited me to try my new Wakker. At that time he did quite amazing things with the Anglo (base lines, chords and harmonies).

More information about this famous (at least in The Netherlands) "Trek er es Uut" event can be found here (in Dutch :( )

More information about this famous (at least in The Netherlands) "Trek er es Uut" event can be found here (in Dutch :( )

So Henk, what does "Trek er es Uut" mean?

I tried Babelfish, and their translation was, "Appetite there ash uut", which I really doubt conveys the original meaning. :lol:

Using my dictionary and a bit of imagination (e.g., assuming that the last word is a dialect variant of "uit"), the squeeziest I could come up with was, "Pull there for the Eb," but I have serious doubts about that, too. :unsure:

"Trek er es Uut" is dialect for "trek er eens uit". And that means something like: leave the house, go and make a trip.

The verb "trekken" (literally: to pull) is also the dutch equivalent for "squeeze".

"Trekharmonika" is used for instruments like the melodeon.

"Trekzak" is a more general name like squeezebox: "Zak" stands for bag.

So in English you squeeze the box, in Dutch you pull the bellows. :huh:

"Trek er es Uut" is dialect for "trek er eens uit". And that means something like: leave the house, go and make a trip.

The verb "trekken" (literally: to pull) is also the dutch equivalent for "squeeze".

"Trekharmonika" is used for instruments like the melodeon.

I knew that, which is why I tried for a squeezy interpretation. I didn't consider the "right" meaning, which is one that's also found in English... as in "a trek through the wilderness."

Even if I had known about the equivalence "es"="eens", I would probably have guessed that it meant, "Pull once, there!" Any chance that it's a deliberate double meaning?

Thanks, Leonard.
:)

John,

if your main interest is not a "How to play Anglo" workshop you would fit into the English class very well. We do exactly what you are looking for. In fact there are some more Anglo players who would be interested in other Anglo styles.

Most years there have been English Concertinas in the Irish workshops. I believe the workshops are as much about the music as about a concertina system.

The teachers in Bielefeld never minded this mixture.

Nils

Nils,

Sounds good! It would be nice to get in among some other concertinists for a change. I'm the only one I know :(

(Bleibt nur noch der Terminkonflikt ...)

On the other hand, each type of concertina does have its strengths and weaknesses, which is why I thought of an anglo class rather than an "Irish (music)" class or an "English (system)" class.

Is there any communal music-making at Bielefeld? I mean, improvising together on different concertina systems on the basis of familiar tunes? Are other instruments than concertinas welcomed?

Cheers,

John