English International Lineup

I think you can see now why it has taken about 18 months work.

My sadness is that we could not include all those players who sent me recordings.

Hi Alan,

Well, I'm really looking forward to listening to those who have made it onto English International!

Regards,

Peter.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sadness is that we could not include all those players who sent me recordings.

Hi Alan,

Well, I'm really looking forward to listening to those who have made it onto English International!

Regards,

Peter.

I might pop round for a bit more recording and drop you my copy.

Al

Hi

This is going to sound like (and probably is :wacko: ) a stupid question- but where does one get a copy of the CD's and at what cost.

chris (well someone has to ask stupid questions- it saves other people being embarassed)

Hi Alan,

Regards,

Peter.

I might pop round for a bit more recording and drop you my copy.

Al

Well, with the days getting longer, the "recording studio" is open for more hours each day, so we might have a deal.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi

This is going to sound like (and probably is :wacko: ) a stupid question- but where does one get a copy of the CD's and at what cost.

chris (well someone has to ask stupid questions- it saves other people being embarrassed)

Chris the collection is not available at the moment but when it is released it will be available from all the (Living) artists featured,direct from Graham rootsrecs@btclick.com

in the USA from Button Box and other stockists TBA The price will be as Anglo International @£25 if you are an ICA member less 10% ,but you will have to quote your membership number

Al

Edited by Alan Day

That sounds brilliant - what a lineup! Can't wait to hear it, thanks for all the hours of hard work you've put in.

Pippa

Pippa you were responsible for bringing to my attention Tommy Elliott one of the finest English concertina players this country has produced and already being hailed as one of the best ,

if not the best, miniature player ever. His playing also helped me as he uses just about every trick in the book, so it taught me what the instrument was capable of.

For all that I thank you and of course Viona, Tommy's Daughter.

Al

Wow, Al, this sounds fantastic! I know some of the players and can assure any remaining doubters that this is likely to be a "must have" collection. I can't wait!

By strange coincidence I was thinking about you today Allison listening to Sarah Graves singing " Fair and tender ladies " and thinking this is just the song you would like.

For me of the song Damian Barber sings "Foggy Dew" is one of the most moving love songs I have ever heard. Probably it will not be everyones taste, but for me it is very emotional. Certainly both these artists are superb at accompanying themselves whilst singing.

Graham is writing up the booklet faster than I expected it could be with you all in about six weeks or less.

Al

Anglo International also was heavily English leaning and not much International.

I find the name to be entirely appropriate. While I think there were some important US anglo players left out of Anglo International, I think Alan and Graham have done an excellent job creating a compilation which highlights the breadth and depth, both in style and location, of people that play the Anglo Concertina today. I am very confident that when we get English International in our hot little hands, it will display the same thought, care and effort that went into the first anthology.

Keep up the great work!

Anglo International also was heavily English leaning and not much International.

I find the name to be entirely appropriate.

Good for you. And I don't.

An apple, that is 10% grape is not an apple, not a grape, but not entirely half apple, half grape.

Again, I understand and agree with the effort, but if practice, that is (as Marx thought) the only prove of theory, shows that there is not much international enthusiasm about English Concertina, which is even called "Englsih", than perhaps the approach may change a little. Otherwise some people that think like me, may have the feeling of the effort not been serious enough, something like a company play. But I got my answer, so I rest my case.

I find the name to be entirely appropriate.

Good for you. And I don't.

An apple, that is 10% grape is not an apple, not a grape, but not entirely half apple, half grape.

Again, I understand and agree with the effort, but if practice, that is (as Marx thought) the only prove of theory, shows that there is not much international enthusiasm about English Concertina, which is even called "Englsih", than perhaps the approach may change a little. Otherwise some people that think like me, may have the feeling of the effort not been serious enough, something like a company play. But I got my answer, so I rest my case.

Sounds like sour grapes to me :ph34r:

I understand the idea, but it clearly didn't work. Unless you have close to 50% of players been of different culture, offering different approaches to EC playing, demonstrating ethnic divercity, it's not really International.

The title of the cd is English International not English Global. An English, or even American :o , dictionary will clarify the difference.