Choosing Wood For A Jones Repair

I've got to make some new ends for an old Jones anglo, and have secured permission to use some of the shop facilities at a local university. Now I need to get the wood. One of the technicians suggested "Sonokeling Rosewood" from www.axminster.co.uk but the sample photo is quite a bit lighter than the Jones I've got. Is there a particular variety of rosewood that is best to use? has anyone got suggestions for UK-based (or even better, London based) suppliers?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
but the sample photo is quite a bit lighter than the Jones I've got. Is there a particular variety of rosewood that is best to use? has anyone got suggestions for UK-based (or even better, London based) suppliers?

Thanks!

Just a quite note to put your mind to rest...

Wood darkens with age and (in particular) enviroment, and sometimes repairs to wooden ends howl at you since the new wood is so obvious, but there is no choice unless you can find aged timber for repairs.

Some makers/repairs carry parts from instruments that were beyond repair especially for this purpose.

They might be worth a try.

Kind regards - John Timpany.

I've got to make some new ends for an old Jones anglo, and have secured permission to use some of the shop facilities at a local university. Now I need to get the wood. One of the technicians suggested "Sonokeling Rosewood" from www.axminster.co.uk but the sample photo is quite a bit lighter than the Jones I've got. Is there a particular variety of rosewood that is best to use? has anyone got suggestions for UK-based (or even better, London based) suppliers?

Thanks!

there several types of rosewood used in insrument manufacture.

The rich dark one which has an almost indigo tint to it is indian rosewood. Indian is the rosewood I find the best for matches to most dark rosewood concertinas when I have to let in new wood, or cut new veneers.

The other two are honduras rosewood and brazillian rosewood. The honduras is the lightest with a wider spaced dark figuring; often used for guitar/ banjo finger boards. Brazillian is the most dramatic and is between indian and honduras in tone, but has a very dark and contrasting grain. I have a Rock Chidley which is in brazillian rosewood.

Dave