Wheatstone 64 Key

KeithB

Less than 24 hours to go.... please have a look .... we really want our 'tina to go to a good home...

£4,141.00

Congratulations Keith.

Seems like a very good price for a quality instrument.

I trust you are satisfied with the highest bid?

Pinching myself if I'm honest, as is the father-in-law - and he owes me a VERY big drink.

Just spoken to the gentleman who's bought it - seems like a really lovely fella - who's massively into his 'tinas - been building a collection for nearly 40 years - trading up all the time - and he's described our one as the pinnacle for him. A very lovely end to the weekend all around.

Pinching myself if I'm honest, as is the father-in-law - and he owes me a VERY big drink.

Just spoken to the gentleman who's bought it - seems like a really lovely fella - who's massively into his 'tinas - been building a collection for nearly 40 years - trading up all the time - and he's described our one as the pinnacle for him. A very lovely end to the weekend all around.

I would have loved to have this instrument but I recognised that the price was going beyond my limit. I did put in one bid but it was very quickly overtaken. I was watching the remaining bidding out of curiosity. What surprised me was the sequence of amounts. there were small steps of £50 or £100 up to £2500 then a bid of £3818 - £1300 in a single step!

- John Wild

What surprised me was the sequence of amounts. there were small steps of £50 or £100 up to £2500 then a bid of £3818 - £1300 in a single step!

I don't know exactly why ebay does this but there are some intermediate steps missing. It was £3,918 for a minute or two but that's gone from the bidding history.

Less than 24 hours to go.... please have a look .... we really want our 'tina to go to a good home...

£4,141.00

Congratulations Keith.

Just spoken to the gentleman who's bought it - seems like a really lovely fella - who's massively into his 'tinas - been building a collection for nearly 40 years .....

Lucky Man!

Hmmmmmmmm I know it now belongs to him & I suppose he can do what he wants with it, but I certainly hope he is going to play it & not just stick it in a glass case? ;)

Cheers

Dick

Those big jumps are because when you bid on eBay the system only puts in the minimum amount necessary to beat the existing bids. If a bidder has a limit that's a lot higher than is currently showing, when a new bidder comes in with a higher bid the system jumps to whatever's necessary. In this auction - as in many - the significant action happened in the last five minutes.

I owned a concertina of the same specification but with ebony ends - that's the one I had stolen in 1984. I don't know how many were made but I assume it's more than two.

wg

£4,141.00

Congratulations Keith.

Just spoken to the gentleman who's bought it - seems like a really lovely fella - who's massively into his 'tinas - been building a collection for nearly 40 years .....

Lucky Man!

Hmmmmmmmm I know it now belongs to him & I suppose he can do what he wants with it, but I certainly hope he is going to play it & not just stick it in a glass case? ;)

Cheers

Dick

You'll be reassured to know he's a player first - collector second

You'll be reassured to know he's a player first - collector second

Excellent Keith!

After all, it surely is an insult to the maker, for a good instrument not to be played. :(

I reckon, collectors who don't bother playing their instruments, should sell them on to genuine players & start collecting some inanimate objects instead, ........like stamps!

After all, you can't get much music out of a stamp! :lol:

Cheers

Dick

• Like 1

...collectors who don't bother playing their instruments, should sell them on to genuine players...

I can understand why people think that. But I don't agree with it.

I think of collectors as preserving the instruments for the next generation of players who come along.

The instruments aren't being buried- just saved from being lost, stolen, destroyed, or worn out.

They'll come back into circulation eventually and meanwhile they're being kept safe and sound.

And what is a genuine player? Is it better for the priceless Linota to be bought for a careless eight year old

by her nouveau-riche parents? Or better for a collector to keep it safe (for you or me) in a glass case?

Is it better for the priceless Linota to be bought for a careless eight year old

by her nouveau-riche parents?

Hey Dave, you must be living in a very select area, with neighbours like that. ;)

Personally, I'd far rather see good Jeffries being played by the sort of 8, 9 & 10 year old enthusiasts you see at the Fleadhs & Miltown every year, than just gathering dust in some glass case or bank vault, being kept simply as an investment for some rich fat cat.

I know to us, many of these beautiful instruments really are works of art, but I have a sneaky suspician, that if instrument makers really did just want their instruments to be looked at, they'd have become painters instead. ;)

Cheers

Dick

...collectors who don't bother playing their instruments, should sell them on to genuine players...

I can understand why people think that. But I don't agree with it.

I think of collectors as preserving the instruments for the next generation of players who come along.

The instruments aren't being buried- just saved from being lost, stolen, destroyed, or worn out.

They'll come back into circulation eventually and meanwhile they're being kept safe and sound.

And what is a genuine player? Is it better for the priceless Linota to be bought for a careless eight year old

by her nouveau-riche parents? Or better for a collector to keep it safe (for you or me) in a glass case?

It's nice to know that the instrument will be played. There is a sculptor who builds beautiful little art pieces, takes a photograph, and then buries them in the desert. No laws against that. Strictly speaking, I doubt, though, that collectors have purely altruistic motives. They may love and care for what they covet, they may even give them away one day, or they may profit in times of need. Hopefully they're not turning concertinas into table lamps. I would love to hear the sound of that instrument, but that's not my call.

Edited by michaelpier

I would love to hear the sound of that instrument, but that's not my call.

You can hear one almost exactly like it - ebony ends instead of wood - in this cut, recorded in 1980. (Sorry for the self-promotion.)

Sir Patrick Spens - http://www.compulink.co.uk/~wendyg/rosevil...trick_Spens.mp3

wg

Hey Wendy, if you've got it .... FLAUNT IT! B)

Wonderful Music!

I would love to hear the sound of that instrument, but that's not my call.

You can hear one almost exactly like it - ebony ends instead of wood - in this cut, recorded in 1980. (Sorry for the self-promotion.)

Sir Patrick Spens - http://www.compulink.co.uk/~wendyg/rosevil...trick_Spens.mp3

wg

Hey Wendy, if you've got it .... FLAUNT IT! B)

Wonderful Music!

Indeed!

... and mikes the wooden thing that he stands on.....

We call that turning a liability into an asset. We had to do something like that on one cut of my record - we couldn't get the foot out so we made it louder so it sounded intentional.

wg

Back in the days when I was in a little band we actually put a cushion under the guitarists foot. Looked odd but it worked!