Music Camp Ripoffs?

and if you ask, you'll find the teaching staff rarely get rich off this either.

That's true... my fee only allows me to break even. It ends up being a free work/holiday. I believe this is the case for most of the other staff as well. Sometimes I wish I could just afford to pay to get in so I could wander aimlessly without being tied to a teaching schedule.

I haven’t seen the books so I don’t know what the organizer makes, but he does work hard on it through most of the year. He came very close to throwing the towel in this year on account of being hit from three different angles.

1. the campus where it takes place raised their fee
  2. the shuttle bus being used went out of business and he had to go with an expensive one from out of the area
  3. the Park Service came down hard on him for having too many people and cars in the forest.

What this meant was he had to cut back on comps and some of the people working for tuition and restrict the total number of people who could come. He also had to add a car fee to encourage people to carpool. He’s organizing a place nearby out of the forest to park cars. People will be able to meet up there and then drive into camp and share the car fee.

All of these things coming at once almost spelled the end of camp and the organizer agonized over it for a long time. These sorts of things usually remain unknown to people who come to camp and the organizers are easy targets for their frustrations. I would be the same way probably, but in this case the organizer is a personal friend and I'm aware of some of the behind the scenes work that goes into it. It would have been a pity if this very unique summer music camp were to fold. I’m just glad we’ll see it another year and hopefully many more to come.

You can travel to Denton, TX, and camp in my backyard for free, buy yer own grub and cook it in the kitchen, and get drunk with me and my friends around a campfire and play all night.

For a three day weekend, be sure to bring at least $30 a night to walk to Dan's Silverleaf and buy plenty of drinks. That should leave you with a few extra dollars for when Ruby's Diner opens up at 6am. They have a good breakfast buffet when it's fresh (meaning, at 6am), and they feature an old black-and-white photo of the last public lynching in Denton County about a hundred years ago.

Ah well, now we are hitting my ability to pay!

Camps can be a lot of fun. I think I like them best for the social aspect. I go away with many new friends and have a ball.

However, along about Wednesday afternoon, I am tired of learning things and want to go home. I think I am now better served at long weekend endeavors. I just don't like to be away as much any more.

just to set the record straight, depending on how far you must travel to get there, lark camp, (which i have never done), is considerably cheaper than an event such as the catskills.....reason being: if you do not live within driving distance of the hamlet of east durham, ny, you are gonna shell out for the following:

a) plane ticket, hundreds;

b class & event fee in the hundreds

c) a week in a dilapidated motel, hundreds more

d) meals, unless above-mentioned d.m. serves them

e) and finally, still hundreds more for a week of car rental because the best thing about this week is the two-per-nite "listening sessions" and (best thing for some) two additional

playing sessions, which the sponsors seem to situate to suit pub owners rather than you, in order to enjoy these

activities, you need wheels, which you will also need to get to many of the farflung-located classes.

there is nominally a shuttle bus, but it is not helpful for the evening activities....

that is a whopping amount of dosh. really, as much as going to ireland, but for the current exchange-rate situation.

on the other hand, music-wise, it is as good as clancy week. ennis tradfest, i agree with pb, but if you are one who wants classes, ennis fest does not have those....

Edited by ceemonster

Seriously. Come hang out at my house with my musician friends for a weekend. Food is negotiable. Beer is mandatory. And very cheap here in Denton. My house and backyard can probably lodge about 20 people.

FREE!!!

But I hear there is a chorded zither infestation :rolleyes:

Sounds like it could be fun, maybe we will stop by sometime when we pass through. Of course, first we have to get to Texas.

Alan

Seriously. Come hang out at my house with my musician friends for a weekend. Food is negotiable. Beer is mandatory. And very cheap here in Denton. My house and backyard can probably lodge about 20 people.

FREE!!!

But I hear there is a chorded zither infestation :rolleyes:

Sounds like it could be fun, maybe we will stop by sometime when we pass through. Of course, first we have to get to Texas.

Alan

I don't detect an Ohio State fan, do I? I was born and raised in Wolverine country.

I don't detect an Ohio State fan, do I? I was born and raised in Wolverine country.

Nein, A Spartan from the thumb who grew up on polkas, country and conjunto. The location does say "Stranded in Buckeyeland" after all. Learned about Irish, oldtime and folk while in East Lansing and fado when my life started investigating her roots. We listened to the evening polka show while milking, which probably explains my love of freereeds. Southeast MI was great place for polkas in the seventies between the evening show out of Saginaw, and then on Sunday you could hear them all day by switching around the dial to catch shows out of Ann Arbor, Detroit and some of the smaller communities, though we generally started out in the morning with Spanish Language show on the same radio station as the evening polka show. Of course, if you grew up there, you probably know what I am talking about. We only ended up here after Robin had an opportunity to go to graduate school at the Ohio State University.

Alan

Nein, A Spartan from the thumb who grew up on polkas, country and conjunto. The location does say "Stranded in Buckeyeland" after all. Learned about Irish, oldtime and folk while in East Lansing and fado when my life started investigating her roots. We listened to the evening polka show while milking, which probably explains my love of freereeds. Southeast MI was great place for polkas in the seventies between the evening show out of Saginaw, and then on Sunday you could hear them all day by switching around the dial to catch shows out of Ann Arbor, Detroit and some of the smaller communities, though we generally started out in the morning with Spanish Language show on the same radio station as the evening polka show. Of course, if you grew up there, you probably know what I am talking about. We only ended up here after Robin had an opportunity to go to graduate school at the Ohio State University.

Alan

I was born in Detroit in 73, so I have childhood memories of polka music. I'm sure that's what kicked in the first time I ever saw a 20-button anglo, changing my life forever.

And, actually, I've always been WAY more of a Spartan than a Wolverine. Been to track-n-field camp at MSU a few times.

Cheers, Alan, my fellow Michigander.