I Bought An Accordion Recently. Does Anyone Know Anything About It?

mmichael

What's an accordion?

Now I'm no expert, but having examined one at close quarters (for health and safety reasons I wore latex gloves; one wouldn't want to catch anything), I came to the conclusion that this is a convenient method of packaging firewood. It's wrapped in plastic to keep it dry and weighed down with odd bits of metal so it doesn't blow away in high winds.

What's an accordion?

Now I'm no expert, but having examined one at close quarters (for health and safety reasons I wore latex gloves; one wouldn't want to catch anything), I came to the conclusion that this is a convenient method of packaging firewood. It's wrapped in plastic to keep it dry and weighed down with odd bits of metal so it doesn't blow away in high winds.

Ah, stop it. Here's some explanation what accordion is:

But seriously, accoridons are possible to play in a way, that concertina player can only dream of.

Here:

Ah, stop it.

Spoilsport! Seriously though you shouldn't under (or over) estimate the very British habit of poking fun at perceived rivals. Your 'Ah, stop it' comment comes from the same semi-serious sense of humour so we're not exactly poles apart. No doubt you will shortly delight us with your rendition of the New World Symphony arranged for English concertina and empty Jack Daniel's bottle. :unsure:

If you don't have an empty Jack Daniel's bottle, send me a full one and I swear to return the empty! :rolleyes:

Pete :D

I won't be dreaming of doing that, thanks!

I gave up the PA to go the concertina route; once I was sure I was going to be able to get on with it I sold the PA. I borrowed a PA at a couple of sessions early on because I couldn't join in otherwise, and haven't touched one since. I might yet acquire a very cheap 48 or 80 bass from a junk shop purely for the wilder parties, beach barbecues and the like. I've had huge amounts of fun with the things over the years but I've moved on. (Anyone else played a PA while abseiling out of a third floor window?)

But, for me, the thing about accordions is someone else has decided what chords you will need and how they should be presented. They're easy to get going on but limiting if you want to take it further. I decided I'd got beyond that and wanted to choose my own bass notes, play music as it is written. (I was also fed up with the size of the PA and subsequently learnt how classy concertinas can sound, but that's by the by). I find myself seeing them as an antique version of those keyboards you can get that fill in the harmony for you. And before you post endless links to Youtube to prove how unfair that is, yes, I know people do very impressive things with them; despite that this is my opinion.

But aren't you in the process of doing exactly the same? You obviously took the PA way beyond my mucking about down the pub but you too have forsaken it for the squeezebox, haven't you?

Surely when you aren't defending the wretched things you'd give exactly the same reasons for moving on?

Editted to add sorry; cross posting I was answering The Russian's post

Edited by Dirge

Spoilsport!

Hm. ;)

Seriously though you shouldn't under (or over) estimate the very British habit of poking fun at perceived rivals.

You confused me. Shouldn't I under or over estimate the very habit, that Brits share with about every other nationality in the Universe?

If you don't have an empty Jack Daniel's bottle, send me a full one and I swear to return the empty! :rolleyes:

Can't do, sorry.

That bottle follows unique laws of physics: The moment you get a full one, it immediately becomes empty.

And before you post endless links to Youtube

Well, they are long for sure, but definitely not endless <_<

You obviously took the PA way beyond my mucking about down the pub but you too have forsaken it for the squeezebox, haven't you?

It was B system Chromatic, and I don't think I took it too far.

I'm not sure I have forsaken it though, it's mostly lack of time to practice at home and inconvinience of taking it to work. And my playing was losing soul, while dexterity increased, and I panicked.

Editted to add sorry; cross posting I was answering The Russian's post

"Oh sword of Damoclus!

Thee Art Menace itself,

hanging over the head of Dirge.

Beware,

for letters are written in fire,

letters

that gleam through blade's rust...

Letters "PC".

They hiss through the emptiness...

They are Emptiness..."

The above poem was written by an unknown poet of uncertain ethnicity and gender.

Edited by m3838

No sorry; I'm just confused now. I thought The Russian was Ok. Sorry if I've offended 'n all that guvnor, didn't mean anything by it, cor blimey strike a light etc etc (exit stage left mumbling)

• 2 months later...
Ah, stop it.

Spoilsport! Seriously though you shouldn't under (or over) estimate the very British habit of poking fun at perceived rivals. Your 'Ah, stop it' comment comes from the same semi-serious sense of humour so we're not exactly poles apart. No doubt you will shortly delight us with your rendition of the New World Symphony arranged for English concertina and empty Jack Daniel's bottle. :unsure:

Pete :D

<PERK> Somebody mention "Jack Damage"??? He was an old friend I knew from my mis-spent youth. Kerry

Other than cars, airplanes and iceboats, I really question the wisdom of trying to operate any machine (musical or otherwise) that you have to stap yourself into. It makes it hard to beat a retreat.