West Coast Tionol 2004

The West Coast Tionol is happening on President’s Day weekend, February 13-15, 2004 in Seattle. Usually an event for Uilleann (Irish) pipers, the Seattle event includes much more.

Michaela Cunningham will be instructing the two Irish Concertina workshops. Michaela was born in Vancouver, BC, but went to school in Ireland where she picked up the music at age 9 and started playing the concertina at age 11. Her big influences include Mary MacNamara and Micheal O’Reilly. During her teens, she entered several competitions and spent lots of time playing at sessions.

Other featured instructors & notables:

Featured Pipers – Joe McKenna of Dublin and David Power of Waterford (David is now based in New Jersey).

Other pipers of renown – Tom Creegan, Seth Gallagher, Phil White

Workshops:

Fiddle – Dale Russ

Flute – Hanz Araki

Whistle – Bill Ochs

Guitar – Finn McGinty

Singing & Songs – Nancy Conescu

Irish Language – Kieran O’Mahony

Reed-making – Seth Gallagher

Bodhran – David Corey

Saturday’s concert will feature the instructors plus a few surprises. Following the concert, there will be a ceíli with music provided by the instructors and dances called by Kathleen O’Grady.

For more information:

http://www.hoilands.com/tionol.htm or http://www.irishpipersclub.org/tionol2004.html., or a Google search for Tionol Seattle 2004.

I'm very interested in taking this concertina workshop, but I don't see anything about it on the Tionol info page. Do you know if it's still scheduled to go on?

Hmm, let's see if I can do this quote thing correctly.

I'm very interested in taking this concertina workshop, but I don't see anything about it on the Tionol info page.  Do you know if it's still scheduled to go on?

The wheels of the Tionol Organizational group turn a bit slowly as far as getting things up onto the info page. Michaela just confirmed a couple days ago that she'd be doing the workshop, so the answer is Yes, the workshops are scheduled to go on. The info hasn't made it onto the Tionol info page yet.

See you there.

I'd like to add a hearty endorsement of Michaela's concertina playing and teaching. She's young, so I'm not sure whether many people know her yet. I managed to get a private lesson from her a few weeks ago--she's incredibly talented! :)

Michaela came into the Tionol program a day before I sent the info out on the Tionol. The workshops are now scheduled as follows:

Concertina workshops: Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 - 1st workshop at 10:00, 2nd workshop at 11:00

Each workshop will cover different stuff. I hope to get more information from Michaela and will post it as soon as I hear.

Hope to see you there,

Kevin

Kevin - I emailed the Tionol people with some questions the other day but received no reply. Maybe you can help me.

Each hour of workshop is $30 right? Does the $50 weekend registration only cover one class? (I know it also does the tshirt and concert.) So if I wanted to go only for the two concertina classes it would be $60 at the door?

Is there any discount for multple classes? I'm interested in the Sunday whistle class too but I really can't spend $90 this weekend.

I emailed the Tionol people with some questions the other day but received no reply. Maybe you can help me.

Well, those full-time jobs have a way of getting in people's way. ;) I'll try to get in contact with the organizers. I know time's getting short to get the answers to your questions.

I myself am only peripherally involved in the Tionol. :( I told the organizers that I'd put out the word that Michaela would be teaching the workshops.

Hopefully by tonight I'll be able to post the answers to your questions.

Kevin

Each hour of workshop is $30 right? Does the $50 weekend registration only cover one class? (I know it also does the tshirt and concert.) So if I wanted to go only for the two concertina classes it would be $60 at the door?

I received a return call quite late last night from one of the event organizers.

The $50 registration is the Piper's fee and covers all piper-related events. The other workshops are $30 each with two exceptions (concertina players luck out - see below).

Exception #1 - Whistle workshops go on all day. The $30 covers all of them. The reason is that many pipers are also whistle players.

Exception #2 - The concertina workshop, taught by Michaela Cunningham, is two hours long and the total cost is $30. :o What a bargain. :D

My understanding is that Saturday breakfast is included in the above. (After saying that, I hope I'm understanding correctly. By the way, Tom Q. runs a great kitchen so the breakfast is pretty good.)

Kevin