Action Box End Replacement Questions

• 2 weeks later...
One thing no one has mentioned is how best to machine the rebate around the edges of the concertina action box.

David, got any tips on how this might be done?

Steve

As one of the 'David' contributors..

I assume you mean the ogive or molding around the edge of the action box cover. I ground a broken hack saw blade to the correct profile, fitted it into a wooden clamp so it looks a bit like a miniture wooden and oddly shape tri-square - but with a cutter hanging down; its called a 'scratch stock', just google this term and you will find lots of detail. Then form the molding by hand, always working with small cuts and with the grain.

The rebate in the action box frame to accept the pad board should not be at question, as I think its only the cover plate that is being replaced. If I have this wrong, then router the rebate in the framing before cutting to length and mitering the frame together.

Dave E

its called a 'scratch stock', just google this term and you will find lots of detail.

I can recommend doing this, kept me amused for ages. I love good tools, even more I love the skill, resourcefulness and ingenuity of true craftsmen. Fascinating stuff.

its called a 'scratch stock', just google this term and you will find lots of detail.

I can recommend doing this, kept me amused for ages. I love good tools, even more I love the skill, resourcefulness and ingenuity of true craftsmen. Fascinating stuff.

Do you need to adjust your 'parental controls??????'

Dave E

Do you need to adjust your 'parental controls??????'

Dave E

Hello, my name is Peter and I am a saddo.

I did once apply a filter to block websites with content including the following terms:

Interesting

Skillful

Music

Musical instrument

Musician

After that the only website I was allowed to view was Melodeon.net :rolleyes:

Your point about the silkpurse/sows ear is well taken. I'm mostly interested in getting a reasonably playable instrument that sounds like a traditional concertina.

I reckon you'll get one, too. For all the talk about these being basic instruments (which is no doubt true), they still have "that sound," and can have a kind of responsiveness that you just won't find on their lower-end equivalents today.

I am the (genuinely) proud owner of a basic Lachenal (except mine's a 30-key anglo), and it just does far more than the modern "student" instrument I had first. Plus the five-fold bellows give me a lot more air to play with than the 7-fold bellows of my learner box, not least because of the quality of the reeds. Now, no doubt as I improve as a player (I hope!), I'll come up against its limitations -- to an extent this is already happening as my chords get a bit bigger & more adventurous for song accompaniment. But I'll never want a box that I can play at 100mph because that doesn't interest me. (I have a melodeon for doing that ;))