Does Anyone Recognise This?

Trish

Hi all,

My Grandmother has a concertina which we believe is made my Lachelan & Co (sp) in London W.C. It has its own wooden 6 sided box which is lined in purple velvet & there is a label on the lid of the box which says Lachelan & Co London W.C.

It does need restoring. Some of the keys are stiff or a bit wobbly & one leather thumb strap needs replacing also. I have taken some pictures but they were taken on my phone & are not brilliantly clear unfortunately. I cannot find a serial number on the concertina so I'm presuming it was on part of the label that has faded over the years.

The concertina is 6 sides with 2 thumb/middle finger straps. It has 24 buttons on either side which are coloured white, red and black. It also has a pattern on both sides of the concertina surrounding the buttons.

The concertina has been in my family for years as it was originally my great grandfathers. I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how old the concertina is and what type it is. I tried doing some research on the internet but I didn't get very far.

Thank you for all your help. :D

untitled2.bmp

untitled.bmp

EDIT: I have just found the serial number which is 51228. I had to remove the top side to find the serial number.

There was also some other writing which I could just about make out on the opposite side of the accordion. It said Lachenal & CO London B.LIT James St. Crays Inn R (with a circle above it) W.C

Hopefully this will help more in determining the age and make of the concertina.

Edited by Trish

Hi

Lachenal changed name from Louis Lachenal to Lachenal & Co about 1874. They had moved to 8, Little James Street, Bedford Row Grays Inn about 1859. Have a look at Stephen Chambers writings on Lachenal- in concertina.com it will tell you a lot about Lachenal's history. By the way -don't call it an accordion thats a different beast ;)

hope this helps

chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Lol I'm sorry about calling it a accordion. My Gran told me it was a accordion then a concertina and even a melodion at one point. But I'm 100% sure its a concertina :lol:

Ah that makes sense so what I thought was a B was actually a 8. Silly me. :P Unfortunately this old girl does need some work doing to it as its been in the loft for about 50 years just gathering dust in its box. It's a shame noone in my family can play a concertina. I was told my great grandad used to play this concertina in a band many years ago.

I tried to find out the date the concertina was made but I wasn't getting anywhere with that. The serial number is 51228 so hopefully someone can help me with dating it. Any idea what type of concertina it is? I've heard about Anglos etc

Thank you again.

No Trish, it's an English concertina that also happens to be made in England. That's it's type; it's not an Anglo or duet. To date it I'd ferret about in the files of Cnet to get the formula and you can do the same!

Well I'm no expert either, but none of the heavyweights have pitched in....your pics are hard work but it looks to me like a fairly ordinary 'box of it's type, usable but nothing special, from Chris's comment post 1874 so probably late 19c; bone buttons; mahogany ends(????can't really see). Value a few hundred pounds tops, depending on quality and condition.

Hi Trish, this looks as if it was one of the low to mid-priced rosewood ended so called 'tutor' models in it's day. Might be quite a nice little instrument if it hasn't suffered too much in the loft, but not particularly sought after or valuable as concertinas go. If you tell us what part of the world you are in there may be a c.netter nearby willing to take a look at it and tell you more about it.

Pete

Yes, unfortunately the pictures weren't very clear. The concertina does need some work. It does have 48 buttons in total which are black, white and red. If there is mahogany ends on the buttons then I cant tell. It does look like there is a reddish tinge to the wood but this is probably due to the mahogany or rosewood I presume.

I'm based in England. There is a Auction house not too far away from me who offered to have a look at the concertina and value it before we get it restored.

Thank you again to all of you for your help.

Hi Trish, this looks as if it was one of the low to mid-priced rosewood ended so called 'tutor' models in it's day. Might be quite a nice little instrument if it hasn't suffered too much in the loft, but not particularly sought after or valuable as concertinas go. If you tell us what part of the world you are in there may be a c.netter nearby willing to take a look at it and tell you more about it.

Pete

Hi Pete. Im from England. From looking at the concertina it does need some work doing to it. It needs a new thumb strap and a few buttons fixed as they seem wobbly or stiff in places. It looks like a few pads may of come loose when I look through the fretwork and there is also the general scratches and fading of colour.

English Lachenal #42054 is dated by Chris Algar around 1906. #59113 around 1925.

51228 must be somewhere in the 1910's.

Isn't as old as my Gran thought then. I narrowed it down to 1873-1933 which is a massive gap lol. Thank you. :lol:

... Im from England. From looking at the concertina it does need some work doing to it. It needs a new thumb strap and a few buttons fixed as they seem wobbly or stiff in places. It looks like a few pads may of come loose when I look through the fretwork and there is also the general scratches and fading of colour.

What part of England? County or Town?

An auctioneer will only be able to give a very general estimate of its value. You really need someone who knows concertinas, of which there are quite a few in various parts of England.

Judging as best as I can from the pictures it is quite likely that you would be looking at £200 to £300 for an overhaul and maybe another £170 at least if a new bellows is required.

... Im from England. From looking at the concertina it does need some work doing to it. It needs a new thumb strap and a few buttons fixed as they seem wobbly or stiff in places. It looks like a few pads may of come loose when I look through the fretwork and there is also the general scratches and fading of colour.

What part of England? County or Town?

An auctioneer will only be able to give a very general estimate of its value. You really need someone who knows concertinas, of which there are quite a few in various parts of England.

Judging as best as I can from the pictures it is quite likely that you would be looking at £200 to £300 for an overhaul and maybe another £170 at least if a new bellows is required.

Hi Theo,

I'm from Warwickshire. I'm giving up with the auctioneer, instead I'm going to get it repaired. I saw a man who repairs concertinas earlier and he told me to see it on Ebay. It's not in that bad condition, not really. Sure a few scratches which I expect is the norm considering where its been for the last 50 years and its needs re-tuning and some new buttons but its not a major repair. I hope not anyway. :lol: It looks more cosmetic (apart from what I mentioned above).

I saw a man who repairs concertinas earlier and he told me to see it on Ebay. It's not in that bad condition, not really. Sure a few scratches which I expect is the norm considering where its been for the last 50 years and its needs re-tuning and some new buttons but its not a major repair. I hope not anyway. :lol: It looks more cosmetic (apart from what I mentioned above).

My goodness. "not a major repair". A complete overhaul from one end to the other, new pads, valves, re-bushing, retuning and apparently a replacement button or two. It's a relief there's nothing major to repair like cracks in the action board, you've had that checked out of course? :rolleyes:

I saw a man who repairs concertinas earlier and he told me to sell it on Ebay. It's not in that bad condition, not really. Sure a few scratches which I expect is the norm considering where its been for the last 50 years and its needs re-tuning and some new buttons but its not a major repair. I hope not anyway. :lol: It looks more cosmetic (apart from what I mentioned above).

My goodness. "not a major repair".

I'm thinking positive. :lol:

What is the action board? Lol honestly I don't think it does need a major repair. The steel reeds are fine, the bowers (middle part cant think of right name) haven't got any rips or tears in it apart from being covered in dust. Admittably it needs new buttons and re-tuning and new leather straps and there is 3 loose pads that I can see when I look through the fretwork.