An Unusual Crabb Anglo - - - -

Hi All,

I just got my Crabb Anglo back from Colin & Rosie ( Dipper ) after a long wait, I won't say how long, but most of it was my fault !

I thought I would share the details of this interesting concertina with you, as it is a bit unusual - - - - - -

The instrument is a 48 button Anglo, including the drone and air button, metal buttons, engraved metal ends and also engraved metal sides where the bellows fasten to, instead of the usual wooden ones.

It is a four row instrument, with the left hand fourth row going down to an amazing low C, and the right hand fourth row having a bird whistle button and a cuckoo button, as well as another couple of buttons which Colin has blanked off for now, he says even with all his experience he does not know what would have been in the odd-shaped holes inside - - - - -maybe someone out there has an idea what they could have been? - - - - a large 1/2" dia hole, and a 1.5" X 1/2" apature, looks to have been expertly filled in with wood many years ago.

The cartouche is H.Crabb 158 Liverpool Rd, and the serial number ( internal ) is 8206, again stamped H.Crabb, so perhaps around 1910-1920 ?

I bought this Crabb back in 1985 from a junk shop, and even though the bellows were shot the guy would not take a penny less than £25 for it - - - - - - -

Rosie has made a new set of six-fold bellows for it, and Colin has worked his usual magic on the rest, it is now in C/G, in concert pitch and plays an absolute dream, with a lovely sweet sound, quite different to my 1980 Crabb Anglo even though both have steel reeds.

So there we are, I just thought some of you may be interested in the instrument details, I'm off to play it some more now - - - -

Regards, Andrew.

post-1285-1201641220_thumb.jpg

post-1285-1201641342_thumb.jpg

I think I probably speak for everyone when I say: what a beauty!

It reminds me of the Crabb which Scan Tester used to play, except that had fewer keys. I see that Geoff Crabb has been on the Forum this evening, so I'm hoping we will see some of his usual pearls of wisdom on this unusual instrument.

I just wonder ...... 46 keys + drone, with so much metal in the ends; is this a very heavy "box"?

Regards,

Peter.

I think I probably speak for everyone when I say: what a beauty!

It reminds me of the Crabb which Scan Tester used to play

Which I am sure you know is safely in the hands of Will Duke.

Beautiful box!

Thanks for the nice comments, the instrument is certainly a good example of Crabbs' workmanship in the first place, and Colin & Rosies' afterwards !

Funnily enough Peter, despite all the metalwork it does not feel much different to a more " normal " box for weight, although I always play sitting down with one end resting on my knee for support, playing standing up is hard work - - - - -

I don't think I would be up for a full day out with the Morris anymore !! ( ah the beer, the music, the beer, the groupies, the beer, - - - - - - -)

I left a message with Geoff before posting, as a matter of courtesy and so he could add the Anglo to his records, so he does know about it now.

Regards, Andrew.

I had no idea a concertina could have a bird whistle.

Bird whistle, baby cry, cock crow.... Those are just a few of the possible "novelty" buttons on some vintage concertinas. But as far as I know, they were all special-order items.

Bird whistle, baby cry, cock crow.... Those are just a few of the possible "novelty" buttons on some vintage concertinas. But as far as I know, they were all special-order items.

I'd like to hear recordings of some of the "novelty" buttons, both in isolation or as part of a tune. Does anyone know of any recordings? Or could someone record a quick demonstration?

I'd like to hear recordings of some of the "novelty" buttons, both in isolation or as part of a tune. Does anyone know of any recordings? Or could someone record a quick demonstration?

This video starts with a novelty button. Baby cry, I suppose....