Maestrocase On Ebay

Badger

I think, in practice, that very few of us have these things fitted, Scott; we cope, and perhaps you'll find you can too. I'd worry about it later. Mind you, recently a couple of folk here were discussing how they find the family car makes a good music room...

The late Bob Copper used to mute his concertina with an old pair of corduroy trousers - the bum bit with the waist pulled closed encloses the 'tina, and the legs provide access for your arms. I've tried it and it works quite well (although I suppose it depends on having a big enough arse!).

Badger - be careful not to neglect the banjo. I'm also a 5-string banjo player and am far better known for that, but the concertina gets nearly all the practice time these days.

Ray

The late Bob Copper used to mute his concertina with an old pair of corduroy trousers

That sounds like a cue for a song, Ray. ;)

Strange that Bob felt the need to do this, since his concertina did not seem particularly loud, to me. Maybe it was because he was more accustomed to singing unaccompanied.

Regards,

Peter.

I should have said "while practising", Peter. I never saw him use baggy cords in public (except to actually wear them!). :lol:

In fact I never personally saw him use the trouser mute while practising, either, but was told about it on very good authority by someone who knew him better than I.

He was indeed a gentle player - the last time I saw and heard him was a couple of years before his death when we were both involved in a school music festival, and he sat it a marquee with the entire audience of children, parents, teachers - and me - utterly enthralled. No other members of the family were with him - it was just Bob singing solo and accompanying himself on the concertina with whispered chords and occasional little suggestions of the tune. Very simple but very effective.

All the best,

Ray