Maestrocase On Ebay

Badger

Hello,

I'm a bluegrass banjo player looking to dip a toe into the concertina world to add a different sound to our jam sessions. I've all ready decided to go with English style and have been looking at the Jack\Jackie models. Juliette Daum has inspired me and I think maybe baritone is the way to go for me. However, even $350 is a bit for me to spend if I decide I don't like it and want to keep picking the 5-string. Have any of you ever played the very inexpensive Chinese (I'm assuming) concertinas on eBay? The sell for around $150 and I'm thinking this might be a safer "very first attempt" at concertina. Unless they are complete junk and unplayable to start with. I realize you get what you pay for. I started on a very cheap ($140) banjo and upgraded within a year after I realized it was going to work. Looking to replicate the same steps here.

Here is an example link of the concertinas Maestro Case is selling: MaestroCase eBay concertina

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Scott Baumann

Sun Prairie, WI

Edited by Badger

Have any of you ever played the very inexpensive Chinese (I'm assuming) concertinas on eBay? The sell for around $150 and I'm thinking this might be a safer "very first attempt" at concertina.

"Safer" is not a word I'd be inclined to use.

Unless they are complete junk and unplayable to start with.

The consensus seems to be that they are just that. Trying using the Search facility here, and just search on the word "Chinese". You'll see that there's a lot to go through, but essentially your same question has been asked many times, and you should find the responses enlightening... and perhaps a little frightening.

Here is an example link of the concertinas Maestro Case is selling: MaestroCase eBay concertina

The Maestro Case advertisement (I think it's misleading to call it an "auction", with a Buy It Now price only a dollar above the minimum) says, "retail value $928". Right! And Ontario was one of the 15 original United States! :angry: Around $150 is the retail price for such an instrument, and many of us think they're not worth that. I've never seen such an instrument even advertised -- much less sold -- for more than a couple hundred dollars. Consider that when you think of what else you might be willing to trust that dealer for.

However, even $350 is a bit for me to spend if I decide I don't like it and want to keep picking the 5-string. Have any of you ever played the very inexpensive Chinese (I'm assuming) concertinas on eBay? The sell for around $150 and I'm thinking this might be a safer "very first attempt" at concertina.

If you get a Jack or Jackie and decide it's not for you, you will likely be able to resell it and recoup some of your money. While you have it, you will also have warranty and support from the maker (who is relocating to Washington State), and full-value trade-in if you upgrade. Resale price of a used Chinese box? Good luck! And most of those selling them new seem unlikely to be able to tell whether they're functioning or not, much less how to fix one.

I have a 30 button Anglo made by the same people. It actually looks good; the wood is nicely finished. The bellows are quite airtight. The action is similar to an old Stagi - each 5 buttons pivoting off a single thin rod. Mine has plastic valves, which is supposedly an improvement over leather valves on other cheap instruments. The straps are definitely cheaper and worse than the ones on the Rochelle, but they work and are usable. All the buttons work and are in tune with each other. The buttons don't always stay straight coming out, as the sides are their guide. I don't think this is an issue with the Rochelle/Jackie line, as they have a riveted action. The buttons aren't so bad that they stick or go all the way in, so this hasn't been a real issue. While I don't imagine that this concertina would last through prolonged use by a serious player. it has served me well as a learning instrument. Percentage wise, I stand to lose quite a bit on resale, although this is unimportant as the actual dollar amount I stand to lose will be relatively small. Mine was $170 including a pretty nice case. If I had it over, I probably would have bought the Rochelle, which was $285 and readily available at the time, because of the trade-up policies available from sellers.

Edited by Stuporman

If you get a Jack or Jackie and decide it's not for you, you will likely be able to resell it and recoup some of your money. While you have it, you will also have warranty and support from the maker (who is relocating to Washington State), and full-value trade-in if you upgrade. Resale price of a used Chinese box? Good luck!

FWIW my experience is that resale value for a good condition used Chinese box on eBay will probably be around 50% of new price; with a Jack/Jackie, depending on availability of new ones, you'll probably be looking at 75% or more. From my experience, used Chinese boxes sell reasonably quickly.

If you get a Jack or Jackie and decide it's not for you, you will likely be able to resell it and recoup some of your money. While you have it, you will also have warranty and support from the maker (who is relocating to Washington State), and full-value trade-in if you upgrade. Resale price of a used Chinese box? Good luck!

FWIW my experience is that resale value for a good condition used Chinese box on eBay will probably be around 50% of new price; with a Jack/Jackie, depending on availability of new ones, you'll probably be looking at 75% or more. From my experience, used Chinese boxes sell reasonably quickly.

Thanks, Woody. That's far more precise than my "estimate", which came from vague recollection of prior discussions. And more complimentary to the Chinese boxes than I expected. But I suppose that if people are willing to buy them new, then there must also be people willing to buy them used.

Hello Stuporman.

Does your 30b anglo have a B flat or a B on the fourth button left when you pull the bellows? I played a similar type which had one wrong note there.

Marien

I have a 30 button Anglo made by the same people.

Hello Stuporman.

Does your 30b anglo have a B flat or a B on the fourth button left when you pull the bellows? I played a similar type which had one wrong note there.

Marien

I have a 30 button Anglo made by the same people.

I had an EC from the same people with the same problem. 2 pairs of notes had their reeds swapped. A high B and Bflat, and a low B and B flat, I think.

Patrick

I've all ready decided to go with English style and have been looking at the Jack\Jackie models. Juliette Daum has inspired me and I think maybe baritone is the way to go for me. However, even $350 is a bit for me to spend

Hi Scott,

I'm a complete novice, inspired by bandoneon player Dino Saluzzi to investigate the possibilities of some kind of concertina. (My main instrument is jazz guitar, though I can play other instruments with varying lesser degrees of competence.) I opted for a baritone English. I just got my Jack last week and I reckon it's well worth the money. There's such a thing as false economy!

Cheers,

-Keith (in the Netherlands)

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone cares....

I've made the decision to order the Jack straight away and get something that is high enough quality to not impede the learning curve. Just waiting on my yearly refund from Uncle Sam to get the ball rolling. Thanks for all the help in making the decision. I'm very excited to get started on my new adventure as I've been lurking on here pretty much every day for the last month or more.

Keith - How go the first few weeks of practice? Is it pretty loud? I all ready drive my wife and son crazy with the banjo, but at least I can mute that.

Is there such a thing as a concertina mute?

I bought a Chinese English several weeks ago and found that the buttons for low A# and high F# were interchanged with A and F, that several high notes were out of tune and the bellows very stiff. It may be the (very) minimum worker was taking his revenge -but then it was cheap.

I've ordered a Jackie but apparently it is coming by dog-sled. Hope that it meets expectations.

Edited by Jimprints

I've all ready decided to go with English style and have been looking at the Jack\Jackie models. Juliette Daum has inspired me and I think maybe baritone is the way to go for me. However, even $350 is a bit for me to spend

Hi Scott,

I'm a complete novice, inspired by bandoneon player Dino Saluzzi to investigate the possibilities of some kind of concertina. (My main instrument is jazz guitar, though I can play other instruments with varying lesser degrees of competence.) I opted for a baritone English. I just got my Jack last week and I reckon it's well worth the money. There's such a thing as false economy!

Cheers,

-Keith (in the Netherlands)

Ciao!

I'm still waiting for my Jackie, ordered several weeks ago at the new Washington state address. All paid for! The written promise was that it would be shipped within 24 hours. No e-mail address at the USA site. Is this a scam? Jim Innes

I'm still waiting for my Jackie, ordered several weeks ago at the new Washington state address. All paid for! The written promise was that it would be shipped within 24 hours. No e-mail address at the USA site. Is this a scam? Jim Innes

I don't think so. Wim Wakker has a very good reputation, but he is in the midst of moving from one continent to the far side of another continent. That would be enough to goof up my business. Maybe someone here can help you raise him; he really is the sort to put things right.

Ken

Just in case anyone cares....

I've made the decision to order the Jack straight away and get something that is high enough quality to not impede the learning curve. Just waiting on my yearly refund from Uncle Sam to get the ball rolling. Thanks for all the help in making the decision. I'm very excited to get started on my new adventure as I've been lurking on here pretty much every day for the last month or more.

Keith - How go the first few weeks of practice? Is it pretty loud? I all ready drive my wife and son crazy with the banjo, but at least I can mute that.

Is there such a thing as a concertina mute?

Hello Badger, of course we care, that's why people pitched in with replies! I have a Jack that's almost a year old and I love the sound of it, but yes, it is pretty loud. There is such a thing as a concertina mute, a set of baffles; fitting them would normally involve removing the concertina ends and installing something like stiff card on the inside of the fretwork. Traditionally these would have tiny bits of cork underneath to create stand-offs so the baffles weren't so efficient that they cut the sound off entirely. :o

Remember that the Jack is a baritone instrument with some quite large reeds inside; these reeds take quite a lot of air to get them going so it isn't as responsive as a treble. It does however have a delightful and gloriously sonorous tone, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Enjoy.

Pete.

I've ordered a Jackie but apparently it is coming by dog-sled.

If so, it may have taken a detour through Sweden. ;)

I'm still waiting for my Jackie, ordered several weeks ago at the new Washington state address. All paid for! The written promise was that it would be shipped within 24 hours. No e-mail address at the USA site. Is this a scam?

More seriously, my experience with Wim -- like the experience of many others -- is that he's honest, helpful, and prompt. His email address at the Concertina Connection web site should get you in touch with him, no matter what continent he's on, and I'm sure he'll straighten things out.

I'm making good progress. Some things are easy, others are difficult (for example, descending or ascending parallel chords). As for volume, it can be pretty loud, but I'm concentrating on playing softly, and I've fitted leather baffles to mute the tone.

Well...that came out wrong. I knew that you guys "care" about concertinas and certainly do your best to help us newbies get started. Thanks much for that!

Does anyone have any pictures of a concertina with the muting baffles installed? I'm not quite wrapping my brain around this concept.

Thanks much Pete! I get it now. I was orginally envisioning something being wrapped around the bellows, sort of like a rubber sleeve. How that would quiet the thing down...I don't know...but somehow that is what I got into my head.

Do you know if anybody is making and marketing these? Something pre-cut I could just slip in the ends and be done with it? I'm learning pretty quickly that the concertina world is even smaller than the banjo world....

Thanks!

Scott

Edited by Badger