Left Hand Chords On The G/d Anglo

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that. It will certainly help me with experiments to get a nice sound on the A major chord.

I was a little surprised you did not include the bass note for the G chord pull:

D0000

000GB

I know the D bass on a G chord can sometimes sound a little ugly, especially as it is so low compared to the other two notes of the chord, but it is useful for keeping the beat going.

Also, D7 pull:

D0AC0

I found the following transition really rewarding as I was making my first steps into chords:

000X0

X0X00

00000 (D major, pull)

followed by moving one finger:

X0XX0

00000 (D7, pull)

Followed by

X0XX0

00000 (G Major, push)

Edited by Mikefule

I'm sure this exposes my musical ignornace but could you explain the bit at the bottom of the page. What is the three chord trick?

Thanks

Thom

Three chord trick:

In the key of G major:

The tonic chord is G which is the notes G B D

The dominant (5th) is D, which is the notes D F# A

The subdominant (4th) is C E G

Between the three you have all 8 notes of the scale "covered" at least once. One of the three chords will always harmonise with any note from the scale.

Note that C is the "subdominant" of G, which is another way of saying that G is the "dominant" of C.

So, D is the "dominant" of G, and G is the "dominant" of C. The three chords have a relationship which can be extended through other chords, going "up" a 5th (G D A E etc.) or down a 4th (G C F B etc.).

The three chord trick is the basis of many simply folk tunes, as well as the archetypal rock and roll and blues sequences.

I was a little surprised you did not include the bass note for the G chord pull:

D0000

000GB

Simple oversight, I'm afraid. Still, easily fixable with a black marker pen...

Three chord trick:

[snip]

The three chord trick is the basis of many simply folk tunes, as well as the archetypal rock and roll and blues sequences.

Thanks for doing that. The three chord trick isn't the be-all of accompaniments, but it's a hell of a good starting point.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson