National Fiddler's Contest & Festival - June

Dieppe

I know this may seem off topic, but does anybody here happen to go to the National Oldtime Fiddler's Contest & Festival in Weiser, Idaho in June? I grew up in that area, and when I was about 3 I seem to remember my dad (deceased when I was 5) playing fiddle, and something about that event going on. (I was 3, wha-do-ya-want? ;) )

Does anyone here happen to go? I realize that this music event seems rather, uh, fiddle focused... but is there room for a concertina or two? Has anyone been?

(I was thinking, if I have to visit my mom who still lives up there, this year.. I could go during the Fiddle Festival, have a free place to stay, and have something to do while I was there. Trust me, other than farming, t'ere ain't much going on there. :blink: )

Patrick

Hi Patrick, I go, and it's definitely a fiddle-centric event. It's the type of gathering where the different fiddle factions break off and gather with one another. The Appalachian (true old timey) fiddlers gather in "Stickerville", and every once in a blue moon an irish session is sparked up there. In other areas, the bluegrassers gather, and in yet another, the texas swing style fiddlers gather... It's a blast for sure, especially if you're a fiddler. I wouldn't expect to meet any other concertinists there, unless you and I arrange something...

Hi Patrick and John

We're planning on going this year......we were there in 2006 and 2004 as well. its an every other yr thing. we play mostly mid-western old time fiddle tunes and hang in Stickerville. I play concertina on the 6/8'ers , waltzes and schottisches....banjo on the reels, except "The Irish Reel" and "the other Irish Reel", although last time I mostly played guitar as there is always an abundance of banjo players. We also play Irish and had a few Irish sessions, found quite a few there who play both old time and Irish. Look for the Airstream from South Dakota.

oh yeah........Weiser's a blast, Patrick. you won't regret it if you go. I see that your avatar is a piano accordion. I've seen a great PA player in the swing jams, and last time there was a latino 3 row button box player entertaining at one of the food vendors.

John

our website

Hi Patrick and John

We're planning on going this year......we were there in 2006 and 2004 as well. its an every other yr thing. we play mostly mid-western old time fiddle tunes and hang in Stickerville. I play concertina on the 6/8'ers , waltzes and schottisches....banjo on the reels, except "The Irish Reel" and "the other Irish Reel", although last time I mostly played guitar as there is always an abundance of banjo players. We also play Irish and had a few Irish sessions, found quite a few there who play both old time and Irish. Look for the Airstream from South Dakota.

oh yeah........Weiser's a blast, Patrick. you won't regret it if you go. I see that your avatar is a piano accordion. I've seen a great PA player in the swing jams, and last time there was a latino 3 row button box player entertaining at one of the food vendors.

John

our website

Well, having grown up 14 miles away, I remember how a lot of people came into the area but were in another place. If I have to go up there to see my mom, like I said, might as well go during the Fiddle Festival! :)

And... I don't think I've the patience to drag my PA along since I'd, more than likely, be flying up. Although, I don't have to I suppose..

The Airstream from South Dakota? You might not be the only one? Or would ya? Ah, I'll post here if I do end up going.

Patrick

Hi Patrick, I go, and it's definitely a fiddle-centric event. It's the type of gathering where the different fiddle factions break off and gather with one another. The Appalachian (true old timey) fiddlers gather in "Stickerville", and every once in a blue moon an irish session is sparked up there. In other areas, the bluegrassers gather, and in yet another, the texas swing style fiddlers gather... It's a blast for sure, especially if you're a fiddler. I wouldn't expect to meet any other concertinists there, unless you and I arrange something...

It's too bad there isn't a "Buttonville" huh? Yeah I'll drop a line here if I do go.

• 3 months later...

For anyone who may be going to the Fiddle Festival, I'll definitely be in Idaho that weekend. I'm not sure when I'm going to the Festival, but I'll try and look up either of the two Johns that might be there! :)

Patrick