Lachenal Duet For Sale?

Paul Evenden

I have a Lachenal Duet, ser # 691 for sale. In very playable condition ( one or two reeds flutter). It's 55 buttons, McCann system ( i think). Comes with custom made case, heavy duty. I have no idea the value.. can any help in this? Any suggestions?

thanks

bcmusicman

here are some pictures....

Not Maccann system but Crane/Triumph (two words for the same system).

And the model is Lachenal's "New Model".

Looks nice.

Even though the duets had their own series of numbers, #691 is a low serial number, but as far as I know, that's neither an advantage nor a disadvantage for what otherwise seem to be identical instruments. My own New Model Crane, which looks much the same but needs much internal work, is #3027.

I tried searching eBay for completed sales, but nothing came up. Here's what the concertina dealer Chris Algar says on his web page:

http://www.concertina.co.uk/Duet-Concertinas.htm

You would be looking at £800+ for a decent steel reeded 48k Crane or 55k Maccann - Wheatstones always dearer than Lachenals.

At present larger Cranes and Maccann, 57 key+ will cost between £1000 and £2000+ with Aeolas being top of the tree.

But that's "retail price" for a fully restored instrument from a dealer, so probably a bit less, especially if it needs any work.

If you're able to verify if it's in tune and put up some sound samples, that would interest buyers much more I would think. As well as high-res pictures, and pointing out specifically any small imperfections. eBay's a bit of a gamble on items like this that appeal to a very small audience. If you don't happen upon someone looking for one that particular week, it could go for a very low amount, although at least Mr. Algar as noted above would put in a bid!

I'm a lapsed anglo player who's moving on to Hayden duet, but I'd love to see your concertina, and I'm less than an hour's drive from you, it seems. Let me know if you have time before selling it for a showing, although I'm not really in the market for a Crane...but I have a nice digital camera if you want some pictures, or maybe I could help you out in some other way. Drop me a PM (private message) here on the board, or click my logo below to see my website and email me directly.

--- Jeff

Edited by Boney

Lachenal serial numbers are difficult to pin down, but 691 is probably somewhere around the turn of the 1900s - Lachenal only started making Crane duets in 1896.

Is this one in modern concert pitch? It would certainly be worth more if it is.

yes, it is in modern concert pitch and in tune... all the notes work... 2 a little warbly

the instrument is in good repair, no visible damage/cracks etc.. bellows is good

just the usual wear spots on the instrument

reeds sound a bit dusty maybe.. due to lack of playing....

good loud sound

i have a short sound clip, Mingulay Boat song.

done with a cheap computer mic so not the best quality.

No-one is allowed to comment on the playing!

mingulay.mp3

so any idea on date and value?

Based on 2 sales of concert pitch Cranes I know 2 similar Cranes that have been sold, one for GBP 950 and one for 1500 in the last 3 years. Don't ask me which one was mine..

Somewhere on this forum Stephen Chambers wrote about a Crane: "which makes #693 pretty early, perhaps about 1900, a centenarian anyway!"

Before that I always thought mine was about 1910 (but I do not have any proof for that, it just looked newer, I think it has not really been used before I got it). mine being serial number 532, I guess it may be somewhere between 1890 to 1900, and yours will be somewhere between 1895 and 1905.

Marien