Lost Mc Rules Book

fidjit

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard that the main dish at the concertina.net ball was to be a recently rediscovered special chicken dish invented by that renowned TV cook Mrs Craddock. Yes "Cock au Fanny".

Robin Madge

Quote from Peter T <presume that DLR is fair game, unless Chas dictates otherwise> uquote

Can't find the bloody rule book, let alone any refference to the above DLR. What ever that is??

But wait for it.

As Tony Robinson (alias Baldrick) says. "I have a cunning plan, my Lords."

All will be reveald on, or slightly before, or afterwards, as the case may be the 6th. Febuary.

Nail biting isn't it? :P

Chas

Quote from Peter T <presume that DLR is fair game, unless Chas dictates otherwise> uquote

Can't find the bloody rule book, let alone any refference to the above DLR. What ever that is??

To quote the late, great Willy Rushton, "Docklands Light Railway, you ridiculous newt!"

Hope that helps,

Chris

Mornington Crescent! :lol:

Wait for it .......... otherwise you'll have people thinking that the game is easier than it actually is!

I'm getting thoroughly confused now, when I shouted 'Mornington Crescent' I didn't think that was the point of this thread and we were actually playing the game! Or are we? If so what's the 'making up sentences with concertina related words and phrases' all about?

My brain hurts, I'm off to make the tea. :rolleyes:

I'm getting thoroughly confused now, when I shouted 'Mornington Crescent' I didn't think that was the point of this thread and we were actually playing the game! Or are we? If so what's the 'making up sentences with concertina related words and phrases' all about?

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue! At this point, I have a strong sense of déjà vu. :huh:

Those arriving late at this thread are probably even more confused.

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue!

Just a minute, you can't get away with that! We can't play MC anyway, there are too many none UK residents around here and they'd think we were barking, you can bank on that; but if we were, the DLR clearly wouldn't be allowed under the Orpington offside rule and we wouldn't want to get into Poplar penalties would we?

Please do not adjust your VDU, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. :unsure:

To quote the late, great Willy Rushton, "Docklands Light Railway, you ridiculous newt!"

Hope that helps,

Chris

Ah. Thank you Chris. And thanks for the map. As I said to Peter T. I only have a map of the Stockholm underground and that would have confused even me. As MC isn't on that .

Now where's that rule book? Ah I know where to look.

Keeping them on a low light is quite hard isn't it.?

Chas

We can't play MC anyway, there are too many non UK residents around here

Of course, you wouldn't know since you joined the forum after the last game. With the blessing of the moderators we play 1 game of Mornington Crescent a year in February in honour of Charles Wheatstone's birthday, the great scientist, inventor and Grand Master of the game. The next game will start, as Chas has said, on 6th February, and will be the third such game. I won the first and Chas won the second. As last year's winner Chas has the privilege of setting any special rules and making the first move. Plus, of course, Samantha will sit on his right hand.

We only play once a year, but as you can see this allows quite a head of anticipation to build. Whilst the majority of the players are from the British Commonwealth (God Bless Her) there are a number of US players who have shown an almost uncanny mastery of the game. I am really looking forward to it.

Chris

.............We can't play MC anyway, there are too many none UK residents around here and they'd think we were barking, you can bank on that; but if we were, the DLR clearly wouldn't be allowed under the Orpington offside rule and we wouldn't want to get into Poplar penalties would we?

Please do not adjust your VDU, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. :unsure:

My bark is worse than my bite. Having never been across the pond, I suspect I would get lost, and block the proceedings. The map is a great help in keeping track of the players. I for one will be populating the peanut gallery with interest as an observer, and cheerleader.

Thanks

Leo

Croydonian pedant here; actually Croydon is a town, the largest in Western Europe.

To extend the pendantry, it depends what you mean by "city". Most of the world just uses the word to mean a large or important town, and that is what Croydon is (well, large, anyway, population 330,000). It is a specific and local British sense of the word that a town only becomes a city when the crown grants it a charter to say it is, thus resulting in completely ridiculous places calling themselves cities, like Wells, which is really only a small market town.

It is a specific and local British sense of the word that a town only becomes a city when the crown grants it a charter to say it is, thus resulting in completely ridiculous places calling themselves cities, like Wells, which is really only a small market town.

Anyone from Wells like to comment? :unsure:

Peter.

PS - building work now completed; scaffolding to be removed tomorrow!

Croydonian pedant here; actually Croydon is a town, the largest in Western Europe.

To extend the pendantry, it depends what you mean by "city". Most of the world just uses the word to mean a large or important town, and that is what Croydon is (well, large, anyway, population 330,000). It is a specific and local British sense of the word that a town only becomes a city when the crown grants it a charter to say it is, thus resulting in completely ridiculous places calling themselves cities, like Wells, which is really only a small market town.

Ah Schooldays!

My music teacher was an astute pocket billards player. Made us listen to Grieg. Told us about him seeing the birds nestling on the telegraph wires to form some sort of music notation. Graveyard stuff with ghosts rumbling about. Bloody awful.

Peter, any more references as to what you want and you may get a red card. Or at least reduced to having to buy an extra ticket for your bicycle.

Also from my School days I seem to remember that to be denoted as a City you had to have a Cathedral ! Has Croydon got that ??

Also from my School days I seem to remember that to be denoted as a City you had to have a Cathedral ! Has Croydon got that ??

Correct! Croydon has a Parish Church, but not a Cathedral. Croydon has, on at least two occasions, failed in its bid to achieve city status. Proximity to London may have something to do with this. However, it is my understanding that should Croydon be successful in a future bid (when the Queen is 100, or something), as if by magic, Croydon Parish Church becomes Croydon Cathedral.

It all sounds as simple as the rules to Mornington Crescent!

Regards,

Peter.

PS - bicycles are not permitted on the Underground network unless they are of the origami type.

No, I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure that the charter is the thing; if you have the cathedral then you are a 'Cathedral City'; but it's just a name because you have the charter and a cathedral. The cathedral is incidental. Maybe the church gets pressure to 'promote' churches in new cities. (Urgh! 'new cities'. What a grim phrase)

They didn't make Swindon a city recently because the inspectors said there wasn't the necessary civic pride. That was a surprise...

And lay off Wells; charming place, Wells. There's only about 12,000 other people fighting you for elbow room. Wells does have one of the finer cathedrals, as well as a moated bishop's palace.

Now retired from public performances, but still available on the end of the telephone for a chat.

Are you on SKYPE?

Hi Chas,

With my on-going computer problem (don't ask!) this is one package which I can't install, so it's the good old-fashioned telephone. Actually, even that's a novelty for me, since I lived in this house for six years without one! Mind you, in those days I worked for a living, so could take calls in the office.

Regards,

Peter.

... the DLR clearly wouldn't be allowed under the Orpington offside rule and we wouldn't want to get into Poplar penalties would we?

Tall ship sighted - sailing very close to the wind!!

Has the oyster been taken into account in the latest rules (my updates haven't arrived yet)?

I could never get the hang of the thing.