Sign in to follow this  
richard

Different Linota Models...is There Difference

I know Stephen knows this but ... the "NP" indicates the metal ends.

Hi Paul,

Yes, I didn't bother to state it because Jim Lucas had already done so, in his post of February 8.

Stephen,

Thanks for the great price list; do you have anything similar from 1928? Did prices or models change much from year to year in this period?

I wish I did ! Prewar Wheatstone anglo price lists seem to be extremely rare, the one in question is the only one I have ever seen. (Then again, prewar Wheatstone anglos are pretty rare too ...)

The prices, and models, changed very little in the period we are talking about (they didn't have the kind of inflation we now take for granted), but cheaper construction/materials started to be used from about 1936 onwards.

My only other catalogues, listing Wheatstone anglos, are from the 1950's/'60's, by which time the model numbers were completely different :

No. 1A. POPULAR MODEL, 20 keys. Mahogany finish, non-corrosive erinoid keys, five-fold bellows, steel reeds, including case.

No. 2A. 30 keys, specification as above.

No. 3A. BEST QUALITY, 20 keys, Rosewood or Ebony finish, nickel-silver capped keys, six-fold bellows, steel reeds, in leatherette case.

No. 4A. 30 keys, specification as Model 3A.

No. 5A. 36 keys, specification as Model 3A.

No. 6A. 40 keys, specification as Model 3A.

No. 7A. PROFESSIONAL MODEL, finest quality new octagonal "AEOLA" model, Ebony finish, nickel-silver capped keys, eight-fold bellows, steel reeds, in leather case.

All models can be supplied with metal ends - chrome plated on nickel-silver - at extra cost.

A duplicated Price List from May, 1959, reveals the following prices :

1A ...... £21. 3. 6

2A ...... £30.16. 0

3A ...... £30.16. 0

4A ...... £40.18. 1

5A ...... £47. 6. 9

6A ...... £54. 5. 0

7A ...... £75.17. 3

Whilst a later catalogue, from the Boosey & Hawkes factory, lists only models 3A., 4A., 6A. and 7A.

I just finished reading all the posts concerning the Wheatstone Linota. All very interesting, but I am now wondering, what is the going price for say a restored Model 55 30K in today's market.

I checked on the internet trying to find any that have sold recently, but had no luck.

Since they seem to be highly praised, I would assume they are very dear. Anyone know the current (ballpark figure) market values?

Joyce :)

[Prewar Wheatstone anglo price lists seem to be extremely rare, the one in question is the only one I have ever seen. (Then again, prewar Wheatstone anglos are pretty rare too ...)

I posted on the web (about a year ago) a full colour scan of an earlier pre-war Wheatstone Anglo list of prices and models which belongs to Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. It is dated from internal evidence as circa 1910:

Wheatstone Anglo Pricelist c. 1910

The instruments listed are called "Chromatic-Anglo Concertinas" and include the "Linota" trademark. Instruments come in regular range plus tenors, baritones, and basses. Each of the four ranges is available in three grades: "Class A" (rosewood, ordinary), "Class B" (rosewood, superior), and "Class C" (ebony, finest in every specification), and the particulars of the three classes are listed. Prices for a Class A begin around three pounds sterling, and for a Class C at about six pounds sterling.

The "Class A", "Class B", and "Class C" designations sometimes appear in the Wheatstone ledger entries for Anglos as model indications.

More information about this pricelist and how it was dated is available on the web at

Anglo and Duet Pricelists from Chris Algar's Achives