Connor's Jeffries Concertina For Sale

p_tans

Well seeing as it was I who added a comment suggesting caution, I'll pm ptans directly. Quite happy to accept that sale was genuine but I make absolutely no apology for sounding a little warning bell. I think that it is entirely appropriate, that anyone who has any suspicion that a sale may be a touch suspicious, should have the courtesy to warn others. I'd expect that.

After all sellers are quite happy to take advantage of forums like this to sell items - to spread the message far and wide - so I also think potential buyers should share info. and spread that far & wide if they have any concerns... whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander etc.

I must say that I was slightly annoyed to read the final few lines of P_tans posting and would like to add the following. I contacted P_tans about this concertina on behalf of two concertina class mates who were looking to trade up from a Stagi and an old Latchenal.In his email reply P_tans told me that he actually didn't own it and knew nothing about it and was merely selling it through the net for someone who was unfamiliar with how the internet worked. So straight away, not only was I contacting someone who had only just joined this site but I was now being passed on to another unknown person. I was given a phone number which I then passed on to my class mates and there ended my interest.

When Tombilly flagged his concerns I wrote to him asking what he felt was going on or what he was concerned about because whilst I know very little about concertinas my class mates know less and I didn't want them buying a pig in the poke or indeed a stolen pig in a poke. Tombilly was very fair, repeated that he didn't want to accuse anyone unfairly and relayed his experience to me. I must say that, having heard what he had to say and coupling that with being passed on to a person other than the site member, I found good grounds to be cautious if not neccessarily suspicious .

P_Tans obviously doesn't play the concertina and only joined this site to sell a concertina( as he did on session.org).Yet, for someone who chose the internet to sell an instrument, he now confesses to not having opened his mail for some time( being "away"hardly constitutes a reason for not opening e mails with the easy access of internet cafes) which seems a strange way to behave, bearing in mind that there is nothing more annoying or bad mannered than someone not returning your calls/ e mails and especially more distressing if you have your heart set on a new concertina and are hoping to be successful in the buying of one on site.Only a concertina player would understand the disappointment of losing out on one, never mind the added annoyance on not being told where you stand( I have, just the other day, this time for myself, written to someone else on this site who is selling and I haven't had the courtesy of a reply, so I know about being left hanging !!)

And yet he seems to need to state "Just to repeat, CONCERTINA HAS BEEN SOLD. No more inquiries please.Thanks to all who were genuinely interested, and not rude." Perhaps had he opened his mail and replied to it, he might have had less enquiries !!

Now that a member here has bought it, I suppose a contribution to concertina.net is out of the question!!

Edited by Larryo

Only a concertina player would understand the disappointment of losing out on one, never mind the added annoyance on not being told where you stand( I have, just the other day, this time for myself, written to someone else on this site who is selling and I haven't had the courtesy of a reply, so I know about being left hanging !!)

I know what you mean. A while back a 'member' (from San Diego I think) put in a listing for a Jones then failed to respond to efforts to contact him. Why did he bother and why couldn't he just do the polite thing and reply to say it wasn't available. Fortunately most members here have more class than that.