Tuning Bellows

Bill Crossland

Here's me sat with a choice of three sets of donor bellows (but too lazy to do anything about it) and a strobe tuner waiting in the wings. I'm awfully tempted to put a bid in!

if you do, would you consider selling me one of your donor bellows?

Rob

Looks nicely made Pete, very much a labour of love. If you aren't going to build one if you're honest, and you intend to keep tinkering I should get it. The repaired bellows are probably worth that to put on another box, aren't they?..

(well you helped me spend my money)

if you do, would you consider selling me one of your donor bellows?

Rob

Hi Rob, one set of bellows is from an accordion and although Ive seen a tuning rig made with a similar set they are a little large if storage and working space is limited. Another set is still on an old 'tina that I think is probably beyond repair but for some reason I'm reluctant to break it for spares just yet.

That leaves a set of five fold Lachenal bellows that have been cut off the frames during replacement, these were given to me by a repairer. If I buy the tuning rig you can have those for free although it would be nice if you donated a couple of quid to c.net. You'll need to make new frames although I've already cut the 12 bits of wood and they'll just need gluing up, it might be an idea to fit support blocks in the angles (David Leese sells strips you cut to length yourself) to give the frames some strength while the bellows are fitted to them.

So keep your fingers crossed that the rig sells at a fair price that I'm prepared to pay!

Pete. :)

Looks nicely made Pete, very much a labour of love. If you aren't going to build one if you're honest, and you intend to keep tinkering I should get it. The repaired bellows are probably worth that to put on another box, aren't they?..

Oh, it's a lovely thing, the work of an artisan. I'm capable of making something like that but as it's a workshop tool I'd have used something like birch faced plywood for the table and patched up the bellows as needed; functional but not pretty. It is grand to work with lovely tools and equipment and using a rig like this would give me enormous pleasure every time I did any tuning.

So it's all down to how much someone is prepared to pay to own this wonderful thing, I've worked out what I think would be a fair price and then added a bit more because I want it. If anyone else is prepared to go higher so be it and I'll lose out. Having seen this one I'd have to rethink my plan and make myself something that has beauty as well as functionality.

(well you helped me spend my money)

I have a singular talent for spending other folks' money. :wacko:

Hi Pete,

very generous of you, I'd be very happy to donate to C.net, and of course pay your postage.

so happy hunting on ebay!

Agree with you as regards using a simple plywood top etc, think I'd add a few small holes as file holders.

I would do a complete rebind etc, just for practice.

regards,

rob

Billcro, you have done a very nice job with these. I have been watching the auction, but I'm afraid the going price is already more than I can afford. However, I have everything I need to make myself a set, except the brass reed jigs. Where did you get those? Where can I find a set of these? All help appreciated.

Thanks-