Followup Question For Box Makers

caj

My last question turned into a discussion about chamber size, but what I really want to know is this: what's the best route for getting this practice box built in the first place?

The problem, again, is that most buttons on my new layout have a push- and pull- note that are 5 or 7 half steps apart. Forget about chamber size---suppose this isn't a problem. But, how about the basic problem of aquiring accordion reeds with that kind of interval? Is that possible, or really problematic?

So I guess that's my real question: is it going to be impossible or prohibitively expensive to get accordion reeds with push- and pull- notes so far apart?

If it can't be done with accordion reeds, I could maybe do something with concertina reeds (or pay someone to do it---I've tuned reeds before, but I'd rather pay a pro than accidentally ruin something or file off one of my hands.) Of course, I could put myself on a waiting list for four years, but right now I'm trying to get a just practice box made. So I can practice the new layout, some time sooner than 4 years from now. Just a pair of custom reedpans would be sufficient, if it fit my existing practice box.

Regards

Caj

I am building a MIDI box, although I presently have little time to finish it. I have already made endplates, installed 36 pushbuttons, prototyped the circuit, written the microcontroller program and so forth. I'll be putting in my own layout as soon as I get it working.

But what I am trying to find out here is how problematic it will be to have a real one made. Would makers have trouble getting appropriate accordion reeds? What options are there for getting ahold of concertina reeds? Those kind of questions.

Caj

Some accordion reed makers will make custom double reeds of ANY tones. Even an octave apart on whatever size reed plates you want. Most makers have minimum order amounts that you won't be able to get near though I've heard that HARMONIKAS spol. s r.o. custom makes and sells individual sets.

For a single set of concertina reeds, it would probably be easiest to get some used concertina reeds. Just ask any concertina repairs place (which like us, probably keep the reeds from every junker they've come across).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered using harmonium reeds? They are on single plates like concertina reeds and old harmoniums can be picked up for next to nothing. I recently brought one home which my local church had discarded with a load of rubbish. You might also get some nice timber to build the rest of the box! I have saved the reeds out of this harmonium, and have a box of others, contact me direct if you aare interested.

Have you considered using harmonium reeds?

Harmonium reeds are lovely, but the ones I've seen that span the concertina note range have much larger frames than standard concertina reeds, and I think there would be problems trying to fit them into a concertina of reasonable size.