When Your Heart Isn't In It

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm primarily a livingroom player, and I find that the quality of my playing, both technical and soulful, vary with my mood. Sometimes my heart just isn't in it. I can, at that point lay down the instrument and do something else.

But what about those of us who have engaged to make music for the pleasure of others? What do you folks do to maintain the quality when you'd rather be doing other things, are tired, hungover, distracted, unlucky in love or any of the myriad of other things that could put you off your musical stride?

i'd never rather be doing anything else! i even skip meals to find time to play.

the only way to maintain quality is to constantly pay attention to what you are doing and how you are doing it.

attention is constantly searching. every second. it's always looking at what you are doing, how you are doing it, and more importantly, never pausing, always searching. you need to constantly pay attention when you are playing music. you shouldnt ignore your distractions, as they are one of those things you should pay attention to. you shouldnt discriminate between what you should be paying attention to and what you shouldnt be. the only thing that matters is that you are paying attention at all.

you heart isnt in music because you're not paying attention to what you're doing. there's nothing wrong with distractions! pay attention to them, along with everything else, and you'll quickly get that motivation and energy that you're lacking.

Not sure I agree with this.Sometimes it is worthwhile putting the concertina gently in it's box and doing other things.I detect a bit of depression and possibly loneliness,this does not sort itself out sitting at home playing constantly on the concertina.It does not introduce you to the person who makes you lucky in love.It does not find you a new job, if you are made redundant.You need to take action to sort it out and this can be the turning point of your life.If of course you sit at home ,the perfect woman,job, or a group of like minded musicians to form a band or session,will not come knocking at your door.

The concertina has to be part of your life not all of it,

Al

i agree.

i couldnt figure out how to say it well enough. thank you for saying it, as i think it needed to be said.

i had a post written up, about respecting yourself, including your feelings and your attention span, but it just didnt work out right. i know that in my own life, i have had many problems because i pushed myself to do something longer than i wanted to, because i felt obligated. i especially used to feel very guilty when i was not playing music, as i felt that my time was being wasted. now i know that that my attention span and my enthusiasm wax and wane, depending on the situation and my mood. i find that lately, any more than twenty minutes of playing is too long for me on most days. when i put all my attention and energy into music as i described, i very quickly notice when i have something else that i should be doing, especially if it is something like you describe to work on whatever problems of loneliness or sadness i might have.

however, i would say that my renewed attention to my music would be because of a renewed attention to my life as a whole, and my post did in fact neglect to show that.

There will never be a more fanatical player than me (apart from perhaps Jody) but I felt the turning point was actually when I stopped being fanatical,took two steps back and relaxed.I may not be a better player but I feel better.

Al

A number of Davids last remarks really resonate with me. I pushed myself to be an "opera singer" much longer than I had any reason to simply because of a sense of obligation.

At times when things seem just perfectly cocked up, it's hard to open up the cases, pull out my instruments and sing. As a part of my routine (and mental health regime) I go through the motions. By the end I'm feeling better dispite afore mentioned cock-ups.

The renewing, healing well of water remains playing with others and for others. Like Alan I have learned to take it easy, stop and enjoy the experience. We have a very long time to do the dirt nap ladies and gentlemen. Each moment counts in the persuit of musical communication.

Last night was a gift at Stone's. All my favorite players were there, save one. The energy was very good indeed. The crowd was attentive. Some chap at the bar bought a around for the circle (15 strong). The topper was my Dominique up and saying "I'm going this evening." She sat with session friends and I loved watching her knitting and engaged in very animated conversations. Noticing that she was fading, I made noises to set sail for Milford, me chums started chanting for my Dominique to sing. I started up "Il est ne, le divine enfant" and was joined by the banjo and bousouki. She stood up, walked into the middle of the circle and sang! The crowd went drop dead silent. I had to bite the inside of my mouth not to sob like the old fool I am. We said our goodbyes, both very happy. How does it get any better than this?

Edited by Mark Evans

One trouble with having a good gig or an excellent session is that the adrenaline gets going and when you go home afterwards you can't sleep!

It helps with driving home for an hour or so at the end of a long night though, but I won't accept gigs with more than 90 minutes driving afterwards as there are too many stories of musicians coming to grief late at night on the road.

Robin Madge

...... but I won't accept gigs with more than 90 minutes driving afterwards as there are too many stories of musicians coming to grief late at night on the road.

I won't even consider evening bookings, since I suffer from car-sickness (much worse after dark), and am reluctant to use public transport since a "mugging" incident 14 years ago (fortunately, I didn't have a concertina with me, but lost some camera equipment and finished up with an expensive dental bill).

Years ago, when I was much happier to travel (and much happier!), I was driven by with three drivers who "dozed off" at the wheel. On the first two occasions, I noticed, and a loud cough did the trick. On the third occasion, I was already asleep, and my driver was only woken up by a car passing in the opposite direction!

With a lack of performing venues within walking distance, my opportunities are somewhat limited!

Peter.

Edited by PeterT

This has turned out to be a deeper thread than I expected when I launched the topic. I had been thinking, mostly, about how professional musicians muster the wherewithal to give it their all under less than inspiring circumstances. We have wandered into the effect of mood on art, and other nooks of conversation.

Performance is like no other aspect of art that I can think of; a painter, a sculptor, or many of the other "mainstream" disciplines that occur to me as I write this,all present the end product only after it has been honed, buffed and polished, so to speak, to a high gloss. the artist usually gets to choose when and where the work is displayed. Even working musicians who do not perform-composers, lyricists, songwriters,- don't have to stand there in that spotlight and sell that song, over and over again. Yet performance artists do it as a matter of course. I find that remarkable.

Lots of you respondants mentioned that performance is an activity that creates its' own energy, and that getting the process going pretty much takes care of the rest. I have not had that experience very often, like once when I was playing the blues at a house party with members of the University of Oregon Jazz band. Playing way out of my league, the proficiency of those guys drove me to heights that I have not achieved before or since. When they got out the Coltrane charts, I settled in to my beer. :lol:

BTW, why do you suppose that men generally outnumber women in making music?

With wandering thoughts (as usual),

Robert

how professional musicians muster the wherewithal to give it their all under less than inspiring circumstances.

Once, long time ago, our college theater was touring the countyside. A girl that I had affection for, seemed like giving the affection back to me, untill right before the show, I accidentally found her with another fellow. Nothing original.

The world collapsed on me. We were performing funny comedy and I had one of the leading roles.

I was told it was my best performance to date, and I wanted to ask the director to take me off the show.

Do they?
Not in my experience.

But if they do in certain types of music, or in certain venues, I'd be inclined to guess that it's because men are excluding them.

'Cuz somebody's gotta be out in the kitchen makin' samwiches... ;)

:ph34r:

You've got stones lad. :unsure:

Roberts observation begs another thread perhaps and one that could get damned dicey. I'm glad we still have a sense of humor on the subject. A recent addition to Obi's Boys is the harmonica wizzard Kathryn Kaufman. Brilliant, classy and very cool. We have endevored to remain unwashed, hunched over barbarians, grunting and scratching our way through life and overall have been sadly successful.

I wonder how she feels about being just one of the boys.........

Edited by Mark Evans

Last night was a gift at Stone's. All my favorite players were there, save one. The energy was very good indeed. The crowd was attentive. Some chap at the bar bought a around for the circle (15 strong). The topper was my Dominique up and saying "I'm going this evening." She sat with session friends and I loved watching her knitting and engaged in very animated conversations. Noticing that she was fading, I made noises to set sail for Milford, me chums started chanting for my Dominique to sing. I started up "Il est ne, le divine enfant" and was joined by the banjo and bousouki. She stood up, walked into the middle of the circle and sang! The crowd went drop dead silent. I had to bite the inside of my mouth not to sob like the old fool I am. We said our goodbyes, both very happy. How does it get any better than this?

Give me a quiet hour at e'en

My arms around my dearie oh

And warly cares and warly men

May a gae topsy-turvy oh.

The sweetest hours that e're I spent

Were spent among the lassies oh.

.... How does it get any better than this?

Give me a quiet hour at e'en

My arms around my dearie oh

And warly cares and warly men

May a gae topsy-turvy oh.

That part's right for Mark, to be sure. :)

The sweetest hours that e're I spent

Were spent among the lassies oh.

But I think Mark is quite content with his one lassie... or mademoiselle. :)

And while he probably does know that old favorite, "I Wish I Was Single, Again", I'll bet that if he sings it, his "Heart Isn't In It".
;)

Yes, well, maybe we should just let that last question lie...

BUT

I go out to Guthrie Park, (the local acoustic jam), glance at the membership here, see the lineup of local live musicians here, and just gotta wonder if maybe the Old Boy's Club might be a factor...

Any of the women here care to comment?

Or not...??

I'm a girl and I play music, does that count? Then again, I'm not in the kitchen "makin' sandwiches" either. (I don't cook.)

I haven't noticed a big difference between men vs. women in music. I think it's something that anyone can relate to and do if they choose.

Although I dearly love sea chanties, somehow it's just a bit strange for a soprano/alto to be singing them. It doesn't stop me though! ^_^

Very interesting to read all of your thoughts and stories.

If your heart isn’t in it, and you are at home, then it’s fine to stop and do something else. But if your heart isn’t in it, and you are in front of an audience (or behind in a deadline), of course, you have to forge ahead and do your best. That “best” could well be of equal quality to the “best” job you do when you are feeling great.

Your heart does not need to be in it to play music well. Music can inspire others and wonderful, creative and surprising things can occur when musicians are inspired. Still, the actual playing of music is more about craft than inspiration. That is... doing again, those things you have practiced before. Paying attention to the right details at the right time. Making the right choices. Seeing the forest as well as the trees.

This practice of craft is possible even if your boy or girl friend just dumped you and you are feeling blue. I could imagine being so distracted by pain that I could not pay attention to the craft, but that pain would have to be pretty severe.

Playing music, like other craft activities, can have a calming, focusing effect that can be a sort of meditation. It can be rejuvenating and transformative. It can take your mind off your troubles for a time by focusing your attention away from your “self”. By doing again that difficult task that you have worked so long to master, you can reaffirm your work and raise your spirits.