Concertina Scene In Melbourne Australia?

Aogan

Tentative at the moment, but there's a possibility I'll be moving to Melbourne for a year or two. I was wondering if there are many (or any!) people out there playing and learning concertina who perhaps might like a half decent teacher to land in their midst?

Or indeed players in general in terms of a social or session scene?

Aogan,

There's a big scene, and Mark et al. were kind enough to throw a get-together for me when I was through there in July of 2006. Several are already very accomplished players, and like all parts of Australia, several were building or starting to do so (though rarely commercially). I'm sure they will jump in here but write me off-forum if they don't and I'll put you in touch.

Ken

post-4-1200057563_thumb.jpg

Aogan,

There's a big scene, and Mark et al. were kind enough to throw a get-together for me when I was through there in July of 2006. Several are already very accomplished players, and like all parts of Australia, several were building or starting to do so (though rarely commercially). I'm sure they will jump in here but write me off-forum if they don't and I'll put you in touch.

Ken

Why anyone would want to live in "that little cabbage patch down south" is a mystery but, rest assured, there are plenty of concertina players in 'Melboring'. And since it's the third largest Greek populated city on earth you'll also find some great bouzouki players too. Actually there seems to be a lot more folk music in Melbourne than Sydney - bloody annoying for us Sydneysiders. Do it!

Tentative at the moment, but there's a possibility I'll be moving to Melbourne for a year or two. I was wondering if there are many (or any!) people out there playing and learning concertina who perhaps might like a half decent teacher to land in their midst?

Or indeed players in general in terms of a social or session scene?

Aogan

My name is Jamie Molloy. I live about 4.5 hours north east of Melbourne and play a bit of concertina on a Suttner. there is a a small but very dedicated group of concertina players in Australia. Ruth Boylan knows all about us as she was here last year and gave a master class at a Irish Music Festival to 8 of us from around the country side. I figure you could probably get at least four students in Melbourne that I know of (some already well on the way) with others like myself prepared to travel to get tuition on a less regular basis. Also Michael Rooney has met a few of us and can give you his version of how things are here. Also Maura Wlash from Lixnaw in Kerry has been out hereI would be very happy to help you out in any way i can to get you here, with contacts etc. I'll try to get your phone number and wil give you a call soon. Am just over in NZ at the moment so it might be a couple of weeks. Cheers. Jamie.