Concertinas And Cameras

petec

If we are talking about trains, why not talk about cars with character?

Here is a picture of the first car with an engine (as far as I know), before that there was one with a propellor. This one is from 1771 and it runs on steam. The model has obviously more character than todays cars.

post-1783-1200357165_thumb.jpg

This car also started a trend. It was involved in the first car accident ever.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are talking about trains, why not talk about cars with character?

Here is a picture of the first car with an engine (as far as I know), before that there was one with a propellor. This one is from 1771 and it runs on steam. The model has obviously more character than todays cars.

post-1783-1200357165_thumb.jpg

Interesting photo. And how a photographer happened to be there at the time of the accident?

Interesting photo. And how a photographer happened to be there at the time of the accident?

Look close, I think it's a drawing. :P

There was no photographer present at the accident.

However, I believe there was a lawyer there, thus starting yet another trend. :ph34r:

Stephen,

You have definitely cornered the market on cool old concertinas. Did you wind up buying that tortoise shell one that went off about a year ago?

Dan,

No, I didn't buy that (or any other) tortoiseshell one. I only have a couple of 20th century instruments (for playing purposes) that I would call my own - plus ones that I'm restoring to resell. I used to have a tortoiseshell 48-key English, 30 years ago, but sold it to a friend (so I still have "visiting rights"), but I was looking for an amboyna tenor-treble for a very long time before I found the one in the photo, whilst finding Alf's box has been a delightful surprise. The other concertinas that I buy are antique instruments for my research collection, and not much use to play.

Look close, I think it's a drawing. :P

There was no photographer present at the accident.

However, I believe there was a lawyer there, thus starting yet another trend. :ph34r:

And how that lawyer (in triangular hat) happened to be there right at the time of the accident?

Something is screwee here.

...I believe there was a lawyer there, thus starting yet another trend. :ph34r:

And how that lawyer (in triangular hat) happened to be there right at the time of the accident?

Something is screwee here.

Isn't that part of their training?
;)
:D

Hm, didn't think this will evolve into a serious discussion. I viewed it as a tongue in cheek.

Well, I think people of 1900 were correct when they saw railroad as Devil's invention. It's ugly, dirty, moves at incomprehensible speeds with great calamity, and basically just marrs countryside. Let's those foul burgers litter the pristine beaches and forests with themselves and their priviledged offspring, disseminate book reading and tempt virgin souls of peasantry with vulgar decadance.

hungarian5horse_carriage.jpgparni-lokomotiva.jpg

So how do you get around?

So how do you get around?

Row, row, row your boat?
:unsure:

Boats are the results of so called "book reading". They allowed foreigners to invade neighboring countries and spread their own "culture" around the world. Pure natives put aside their beautiful cane fluites and

and picked up such monstrocities as acc...ons and con...nas.

Oh, I move around by sorcery: horseless carriages, iron devils and roaring birds of hell.

This is the engine on the Kent and East Sussex railway, which pulled the 'folk special' at last year's Tenterden festival. On our trip, we had a great time, and could not resist playing 'the runaway train'.

- John Wild

On our trip, we had a great time, and could not resist playing 'the runaway train'.

Wot, and not The Wreck of Old 97?

It's a mighty rough road from Lynchburg to Danville,

And Lima's on a three-mile grade;

It was on that grade that he lost his air brakes,

You can see what a jump he made.

He was going down grade, doing ninety miles an hour,

When his whistle began to scream;

They found him in the wreck, with his hand on the throttle.

He was scalded to death by the steam.

To the tune of The Ship that Never Returned.

To the tune of The Ship that Never Returned.
Stephen,

I found more versions.

Marien,

There are many versions of The Ship that Never Returned as it has been very popular with "folk" musicians of various persuasions, but it was originally composed by the songwriter Henry Clay Work (a contemporary of Stephen Foster) and first published in 1865.

But my purpose in quoting those particular verses was to show how, in the 19th century, steam trains were not always viewed in such a romantic light as they are now. They could be seen as a scary way to travel, and created a morbid fear of wrecks and being "scalded to death by the steam" that was not altogether unjustified. :(

Edited to add the "always" that was always meant to be there. comp26.gif

Edited by Stephen Chambers

my purpose in quoting those particular verses was to show how, in the 19th century, steam trains were not viewed in such a romantic light as they are now.

The challenge is taken.

Here is the composition

And here are the translation of first stanza (sp?)

“The road song”

Music by M.Glinka

Lirics by N. Kukolnik

Smoke and steem – it billows, hisses

Locomotive...

Colors, feasting, expectation,

Noise, impatience...

Righteous Christians, our peasants

Having fun.

Like it's fleeing slav'ry chain

O'er the field is flying train.

etc.

It's a long song about someone's eyes expecting aristocratic protagonist in Sanct Petersburg. All while the Noble Peasants show off the merriment and enjoyment.

Song was written for the opening of the first rail road between S-Petersburg and rural residence of the Tsar.

Full page with scores and Midi versions of parts is here;

http://otgoloski.com/h/poputnaya/s.htm

There are many versions of The Ship that Never Returned as it has been very popular with "folk" musicians of various persuasions....

Also in the form of parodies, particularly Charley on the MTA (aka "The Man Who Never Returned", a political campaign song which entered the folk tradition) and Super Skier (well, he did return -- in pieces, -- but it's the same tune). :D