Comhaltas Live

Wow! Thunderstruck! What beautiful, almost sad faces until the last time 'round and they allow a smile.

Both women have an astounding cross-row technique. I could barely catch the bellows changes. Bravo!

Edited by Mark Evans

• 3 weeks later...
A long and detailed thread here...http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/14711

about how she plays those cuts/rolls.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this link; certainly a long thread!

I've never understood all the "technical" terms used to describe the ornaments in Irish music (or other musics for that matter), but I certainly like to hear the end results when done well (like here!).

Also nice to see some names familiar to this Forum. I tend to visit the www.thesession.org site only when looking for specific tunes.

Regards,

Peter.

i had seen the ernestine healy videos several times, but not the other one, really nifty....

yes, when i started on concertina it actually took me a while to be able to grasp what the style was that i found totally electrifying and wanted to learn, and it is like these players---great cross-row virtuosity for playing the melody, so you get that flowing, fluid, fiddle or flute-like line, but keeping the melody line clean otherwise for a classic ITM melody-instrument sound, unbroken by loud, percussive cuts in the melody, and unobscured on bass side by the accordion or ceili-piano-like loud bass chords which are very fashionable right now with many irish concertina virtuosos......the new cd, "bean chairdin," by dympna o'sullivan of county clare, is playing very much in the vein of the playing in these videos, with a dazzling level of virtuosity as well as expressiveness....