Looking For Books On Concertinas?

I've seen a few books on concertinas, playing, fingering charts, etc. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for books on, 1. Teaching one's self to play the English Concertina, and 2. Learning more about concertina "guts" and maintenance.

Although I could just ask lots of questions on here, limited computer time makes having a book that I can read anytime more practical. Besides, I'm sure that it'll keep more questions coming!

Thanks!

My suggestions: For 1) find a copy of Alistair Anderson's Concertina Workshop, a great place to start. Allan Atlas's Contemplating the Concertina is also good, though much more advanced. Both are available from Button Box. Butler's tutor is also on line at www.concertina.com . For 2) the reference is the Concertina Maintenance Manual by David Elliott. Button Box also has it.

I would second both recommendations. Cannot see where you are. If in UK, we could send you a copy of Alistair's tutor (or Folkworks would). Neil Wayne is bringing out the recording on CD any day now. Last time I spoke to him, he had plans to put the tutor on the web as a PDF file.

Allan Atlas' book is wonderful, and one of the few to address the question "how should I hold the instrument", but not really for beginners.

There are quite a few recent tutor books each with strengths and weaknesses (he says, mumbling into beard). Get hold of Alistair's Concertina Workshop if you can.

• 3 weeks later...
I would second both recommendations. Cannot see where you are. If in UK, we could send you a copy of Alistair's tutor (or Folkworks would). Neil Wayne is bringing out the recording on CD any day now. Last time I spoke to him, he had plans to put the tutor on the web as a PDF file.

Allan Atlas' book is wonderful, and one of the few to address the question "how should I hold the instrument", but not really for beginners.

There are quite a few recent tutor books each with strengths and weaknesses (he says, mumbling into beard). Get hold of Alistair's Concertina Workshop if you can.

I would second both recommendations. Cannot see where you are. If in UK, we could send you a copy of Alistair's tutor (or Folkworks would). Neil Wayne is bringing out the recording on CD any day now.........

Hurrah!!

My Vinyl LP of this was seriously wrecked on one side when some scumbag knicked the hi-fi. The LP was thrown away and when i found it had a big gouge across it on the B side.

ps the track listing needs correcting ... I can't remeber the exact bit but one track it lists 3 HPs (I think) but only 2 are played - very confusing!

Chris

Alistar Anderson's book is OK to my opinion, but not great. Lot's of similar folk tunes, that don't get you anywere, unles you're in love with single line English tunes and use the book as your repertore build-up.

Alan Atlas tutor is more like a docotrate on English concertina, and you are better off avoiding it like a plague in the beginning :D

You are better off by buying Jackie with short "half-tutor" from Wim Wakker. It'll get you going. Then you need to simply buy tune books for violin, flute, recorder - if you want to play single line melodies. If you want chordal style - accordion compositions, where you can omit the basses, and simply learn trebble parts.

To resume - you will have no teachers, no tutors to stick to, no established road of learning from simple to complex. You are on your own, zig-zagging up/down the learning "curve", but it'll teach you independence of thinking and force to develop your own style. It is bad and good. If you are like me, with more talent to hear than to produce - take piano lesons. If your combination is more fortunate - you'll be very happy camper with envious perspectives.

Dear Fiddlehead: you might also consider the instruction tutor by Alf Edwards. . . . i don't know if it's readily available or not. . . . .if you can't find it, i can make a copy for you. . . . . .whatever you do, don't start with my book. . . . .you'll get discouraged. . . . .though some people say it's an "entertaining read"......................

also: look at the things that Pauline de Snoo posts on the internet each month. . . . .

i agree with whomever it was who said that a "tunebook" is useless. . . .you don't learn anything from it..........Allan

Edited by allan atlas

FF: that's good also. . . .checked the Alf Edwards today. . . .that will help. . . . . .there's no single, perfect tutor out there. . . .each has its good and less-than-good points. . . . . .let your common sense and musicality guide you............also: they're not terribly expensive. . . .get two or three, and utilize the best of each.........Allan