Wwii Songs

m3838

I hope I'm excused to call all ethnicities in Britain "English"

Of course you're not - that would just be silly. It's like saying "I hope I'm excused to call all people Trevor".

Wrong wording: "I hope to be excused for calling...

Just because you improve the grammar doesn't mean it makes any more sense. It's not the choice of words, it's the choice of meaning. :lol:

It does seem strange to me that you say you want to learn more about the English, but when you do learn something about us you insist on ignoring it.

No, no, I'm not ignoring it. I noted it. You don't seem to accept that distance makes difference.

One has to maintain a scale. I'll be much more careful while traveling in the UK, but back home "I've visited England".

Many people around the world will refer to the British as English - the Americans are noted for it - but it doesn't matter because they don't know any better, nor do they need to know unless they're travelling or corresponding with the wider world. If they do discover the difference but they're talking to friends that don't know then they may well continue talking about the "English" when they mean "British" just to simplify conversation which is fine.

What seems strange is if when conversing with the wider world, including British citizens, and you know that the term you are using is incorrect, you continue to use it. It just seems ignorant and rude.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I meet someone and he says his name is David and I call him Peter, at which point he tells me his name is David and I say "thanks Peter", so he tells me again his name is David and I say "yes I know, Peter" then really I don't think he should feel offended, but he's perfectly entitled to have quite a lot of contempt for my ignorance and sloppiness with regards to accuracy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't take much notice of what I said in the future...

Back on topic - I thought this thread was about the Nintendo Wii too!

If I meet someone and he says his name is David and I call him Peter, at which point he tells me his name is David and I say "thanks Peter", so he tells me again his name is David and I say "yes I know, Peter" then really I don't think he should feel offended, but he's perfectly entitled to have quite a lot of contempt for my ignorance and sloppiness with regards to accuracy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't take much notice of what I said in the future...

Back on topic - I thought this thread was about the Nintendo Wii too!

Interesting discussion.

Corresponding with the whole world may include very many people, who custumary call GB an "England" or USA "America", regardless of what modern day British or US'ish PC requires.

When we correspond with recipients across the Globe, we go through several stages.

First we marvel at incorrect assumptions of the "Others" and attempt to correct their arrogance. The we run into our own incorrect assumption of "Others" which may seem as arrogance. Then we either stop corresponding, or accept each other's ways.

My question about "English WWII songs" was perfectly understood as "Some Russian participant of the C.net wants to find some mainstream WWII songs from the UK of GB and NI, sang in the English language".

Let's accept each others' conventions about each other. These have long history and are not changed at will.

I, as educated representative, will try to refer to United Island of proud Scottland and imperialistic England as GB, and to the Union of the Great Britain and illegally occupied Northern Ireland as UK, but if you encounter someone else using the term "English" in regards to the entire Union, don't beat the drums.

My question about "English WWII songs" was perfectly understood as "Some Russian participant of the C.net wants to find some mainstream WWII songs from the UK of GB and NI, sang in the English language".

Well that's my point! If you had said that in the first place you would have been perfectly understood.

Union of the Great Britain and illegally occupied Northern Ireland as UK

I think it unwise to get much into other peoples politics on this site but I think this should not be allowed to pass without challenge.

Given that Northern Ireland is part of the UK based on consensus across all the major political parties, established by treaties between the UK and the Republic of Ireland, and endorsed in referendums by the people of both countries - in what way is Northern Ireland illegally occupied?

in what way is Northern Ireland illegally occupied?

I was joking.

3500 dead & over 40000 injured over this issue until a settlement was reached. You'll have to excuse me if I find your "joke" to be in bad taste.

in what way is Northern Ireland illegally occupied?

I was joking.

3500 dead & over 40000 injured over this issue until a settlement was reached. You'll have to excuse me if I find your "joke" to be in bad taste.

Sorry.

I'd keep on joking though, because this is the only rational reaction to endless wars, claims of superiority and such.

Some Russian Patriots could have viewed similar jokes as been offencive, untill new historic facts were uncovered: that Hitler outsped Stalin by mere 2 weeks. Had the weather was bad for German aviation, USSR would have started it's major historic offencive to "free" the proletariat of Western Europe. The situation could have been drastically different. That's why Stalin was in such shock for a week or two. And we're talking about 20000000 dead and countless injured over this issue. Still laughing. :(

I guess Western Europeans are more disciplined people with less tendency to uncontrollable release of emotions. So they can afford to take these issues seriously.

Anyways, sorry if I, arrogant and rude descendant of Nomadic Khazarian hordes (a possibility), offended anyone.

I'm confused a bit about what happened to this thread...shows up kinda funny on my computer...but, anyway,

you might check out websites on the works of Woody Guthrie, American folksinger, of course. His time is actually later than the 30s but he gave voice to the people of the 'Dustbowl' times.

Also, you might find some interesting links via SingOut.org.

The publication, 'Rise Up Singing,' published by 'Sing Out' publications, has a wide range of American folk songs including some from the Depression era, but it's all lyrics and chords, no notation. Available through Amazon.com, I think.

edit added:

you can also get a full set of teaching CDs that goes with the Rise Up Singing book.

Another edit:

Okay, I guess Woody Guthrie was born in 1912, so....he WAS in fact a contemporary of the Great Depression era.

Edited by bellowbelle