38 Key Suttner For Sale

Aogan

Hi guys,

I'm selling up a new Suttner. I got it a few months ago, it's pretty much identical to my existing instrument. When I received that four years ago or whatever, I ordered another. My intention was to sell the old one and keep the new, but the old one is so well played-in and playing so well, and is all set up for the microphones I use, and not giving me any problems etc, that I'm happy to keep it.

It's an A4 model, 38 key, C/G Jeffries-type, (Anglo), standard except I got the flat solid ebony ends (which I've always done). List price currently for the instrument is €4610, excl p&p, and you'll be waiting 4 to 5 years for the instrument. Obviously I'm looking for more than that -I've kids to feed (plus I fancy a new motorbike :)) . Anyway, if you know them you'll know what they are and what they're worth, if you don't then - they're a top class instrument. They're my instrument of choice for the last 10 years and pretty much every top class anglo player in Ireland has one, plays one or wants one.

I suppose, if you're interested PM me, or email aoganlynch(at)gmail dot com.

And I would actually take a trade in of a low mileage XB12r or s, or an '04-on litre sports bike :)

Edited by Aogan

This is "the" Suttner to buy. Solid ebony ends in addition to the 38 key makes this an amazing instrument. Aogán is correct, in that most top players in Ireland are playing this exact model. If mine wasn't already on the way I would jump at having this concertina. I think that the extra mass of the 38 vs 30 key, and the solid ebony ends really make this concertina sing. Buyers in America please note that we are getting killed on exchange rates with the Euro now as opposed to 4 years ago, and it is not getting any better.

Sorry to change the subject, but as an aside, what mics do you use and how do you attach them to your instruments?

No bother - I use AKG gooseneck mic's I'm afraid I don't know what the exact serial number is, I bought them years ago. They're quite good. Not brilliant, but good. I'd change for something better if I came across something better, and I have yet to do so. With a good sound engineer who can get the best out of them they're pretty good, otherwise they can be very "live" and it's difficult to get adequate monitor level back so that I can hear myself properly. I guess I've just learned to live with it. :) - They're attached to the top of the stock, just above your thumbs, with velcro.

I use the same mics AKG 416 L i believe. I attach mine to the Suttner and the Shakespeare by loosening the thumb screws and they slide ride in. I use the AKG preamp/ mixer for them. My experience has been that the feedback can still be a little squirrely, but not as bad as a pair of big mics on each side. Watching TG4 lately I see people using what appear to be Crown 301 goosenecks. Small goosenecks are great for being able to direct the pickup pattern, but still a little funny on tone. The AKG mentioned above, or a Crown GLM 100 ( and there is a Sennheiser) are easy to attach, but beware the cable leads getting caught in the bellows. A Suttner, or a big voiced Jeffries has the advantage of being pretty present to start with. Some quieter instruments like my Shakespeare are still a problem with volume.

No bother - I use AKG gooseneck mic's I'm afraid I don't know what the exact serial number is, I bought them years ago. They're quite good. Not brilliant, but good. I'd change for something better if I came across something better, and I have yet to do so. With a good sound engineer who can get the best out of them they're pretty good, otherwise they can be very "live" and it's difficult to get adequate monitor level back so that I can hear myself properly. I guess I've just learned to live with it. :) - They're attached to the top of the stock, just above your thumbs, with velcro.

Niall Vallely used to use the AKG gooseneck mics you're probably referring to. When I was looking for mics a while back I asked him if he still used them and he has switched to Sennheiser e608s since the AKGs were too sensitive to feedback. I decided to give the Sennheisers a go and have been very happy with them. Never tried an AKG, though.

I just use three strips of electrical tape, which doesn't leave a sticky residue when you take it off. There isn't a wide, flat surface on the mic or the holders that came with them to put much velcro on. The holders are designed to be slid onto the end of a trumpet bell, for instance, and there's no comparable place on a concertina for them.

post-776-1199729687_thumb.jpg