Obi's 3rd Annual Ring In New Year's Day Muisc Party

Happy New Year to you all. I'm tired, beat and contentedly rung out. Just finished cleaning up the mess in the kitchen. Obi's 3rd Annual Ringing in New Year's Day Music Party was a smashing success.

My Bulldog Obi loves music and through the year we have a number of get togethers at the cottage which he grandly hosts. This is the first time I have mixed in with my bluegrass, western swing and old time compadres those inclined to attend from the John Stone's Irish session. The recent punch up on these pages concerning Irish sessions in Ireland caused me a considerable amount of soul searching and saddness. Much like a mad chemist mixing volitile chemicals or a brat child with a sack of rocks and a large hornets nest hanging on a low branch, I just wanted to see what would happen should I bring certain forces together under the right conditions :huh: . As the afternoon's start time approached I was damned nervous. What a raving success, due in no small extent to my Dominique's fine table groaning with provisions, libations (one of which she had just brought back from Bonn which can best be discribed as fancy moonshine with a hazel nut aftertaste) and her fine punch in a proper large victorian bowl.

There were no ground rules, we just set in with introductions, conversations and the music started. As things evolved Obi's Boys would "do" one and then I would with a flourish of hand and a wink invite my Irish buddies to start one off. Back and forth such lovely fun. The fiddler mother/son duo are Irish only, but after a few they took a leap into one of our western swing standards with a Bob Wills florish that got several yee-haws in astonished appreciation. Our bass player who can only be discribed as Red, White and Bluegrass was listening intently on one set trotted out and before I could warn him off was laying down a most tasteful bass-line. The fiddlers and backer looked up grinning like Cheshire cats. Our backer George (master bousouki player) joined in often on the bluegrass and old time numbers and threw in some crackling interjections with the bones that raised the hair on the back of my neck.

A couple who likes to dance at Stone's came over as well and some children too. Obi was in heaven. He was weaving in and out of the dancers thinking for all the world that he too was dancing with them. I've never seen him so happy. Nice...very nice indeed and Dominique proclaimed it a wonderful evening which she later said had some profound musical moments. :o It ended all too soon. To bed very happy and just a wee bit sloshed :P .

Edited by Mark Evans

Nice...very nice indeed and Dominique proclaimed it a wonderful evening which she later said had some profound musical moments. :o It ended all too soon. To bed very happy and just a wee bit sloshed :P .

Lucky Mark,

Great story! Many happy returns of wonderful evenings and profound musical moments.

Happy Newyear to all you C.Netters ;)

Edited by Henk van Aalten

never seen him so happy. Nice...very nice indeed and Dominique proclaimed it a wonderful evening which she later said had some profound musical moments. :o It ended all too soon. To bed very happy and just a wee bit sloshed :P .

A great way to start the year, Mark.

I welcomed in 2008 playing for a Civil War grand ball -- across the road from the Gettysburg Battlefield memorial. Lots of women with hoop skirts and men in uniform. When the fireworks started shortly after midnight, it sounded like the battle had started all over again.