Warped Reed Pan

Joe,

good point about the shaping of the beam section, what we used to call 'fish-belly' beams.

as to removing the inner grid of chamber walls, careful you don't know what stresses you may release.

I think that the purpose of the stiffening webs, beams, is to hold a 'trued-up' pan true. I think that the issue is to 'flatten' the pan as much as possible first, then use this idea to finish the job off and to lock it flat.

Jim,

I cannot comment on the sound, as you can see from the finger residue, these have been fitted for may years and I don't want to undo them unless I have to.

Dave E

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

all things are relative!

Indeed they are... and relative to most other parts in a concertina, those beams are "big". ;)

Actually, consider the pinkie and forefinger, of either hand . The pinkie is more often than not,

referred to as the little finger. It is about 3/4 size of the larger forefinger. It's the same relative relationship

between the reed pan beam and a larger beam more often referred to as the handle.

Seems reasonable to me.

:-I Joe

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting old 20-button Lachenal on ebay. This one has a new solution to the warp problem - screw the reed pan to the action board with two screws. It seems it was successful (although it is the seller that says so).

Hi Paul.

I have a 20-button Lachenal anglo where someone glued one of the ends on (end plate to action board, action board to bellows). It seems there is no end to the strange things people will do.

Paul