Playing "on The Knee"

Hooves

Good concertina friends,

some some months ago we had an engaging discussion of the Bisonoric Anglo Duet, or BAD concertina, somewhere between jest and innovation. (I will add link to actaul thread here when I find it).

The thought came up of playing a single end independent of the other, to which I suggested a half-tina strapped to each leg.

I would like to issue a challange to you Concertina wizards, with digits o'flaming, to develop a style called "On the Knee" playing, by which I mean, strap one end of your tina to your leg, and play the other end freely.

The goal is to play a melody, chordal accompiament, to your other hand utilizing a small bodhran or other frame drum thus providng rhythmic accompiament to your floundering tina hand.

I am in the prcoess of getting a 12" Bodhran for this purpose, I suggest it now as I know so many of you can run circles around me, I would like to see in action one of you great concertina players play the bodhran and tina at the same time.

I think a duet would work well, but the anglo may be the winner (not sure about the English, but feel free to try, I'm easily impressed). I will submit my own fumbling attempt after seeing the masters have a go.

all in fun, no prize other than "Hmpph, I showed that Loud mouth Hoove's...)

The goal is to play a melody, chordal accompiament, to your other hand utilizing a small bodhran or other frame drum thus providng rhythmic accompiament to your floundering tina hand.

I am in the prcoess of getting a 12" Bodhran for this purpose, I suggest it now as I know so many of you can run circles around me, I would like to see in action one of you great concertina players play the bodhran and tina at the same time.

Nah, it's been done already, a century ago; well, at least on the melodeon! I've an old catalogue for Mayenburg's Royal Standard Accordeons (sic) that contains a photograph of Mr. J. V. Tiaman, Champion Player of Wales, with a small drum mounted on top of the bass end of his melodeon, and a cymbal on the front of it too. :blink:

There ain't nothin' new!

Good concertina friends,

some some months ago we had an engaging discussion of the Bisonoric Anglo Duet, or BAD concertina, somewhere between jest and innovation. (I will add link to actaul thread here when I find it).

The thought came up of playing a single end independent of the other, to which I suggested a half-tina strapped to each leg.

I would like to issue a challange to you Concertina wizards, with digits o'flaming, to develop a style called "On the Knee" playing, by which I mean, strap one end of your tina to your leg, and play the other end freely.

I think a duet would work well, but the anglo may be the winner (not sure about the English, but feel free to try, I'm easily impressed). I will submit my own fumbling attempt after seeing the masters have a go.

I think you will find this was part of the discussion regarding Concertina Rests

Al

all in fun, no prize other than "Hmpph, I showed that Loud mouth Hoove's...)

Nah, it's been done already, a century ago; well, at least on the melodeon! I've an old catalogue for Mayenburg's Royal Standard Accordeons (sic) that contains a photograph of Mr. J. V. Tiaman, Champion Player of Wales, with a small drum mounted on top of the bass end of his melodeon, and a cymbal on the front of it too. :blink:

There ain't nothin' new!

Oh Blarney Stone!

Oh well, I'll have to check that out, actaully I'm not surprised, however I will still give it a go, albeit minus the cymbal.

Edited by Hooves

There ain't nothin' new!

Oh Blarney Stone!

Oh well, I'll have to check that out, actaully I'm not surprised, however I will still give it a go, albeit minus the cymbal.

I have an old freind, just over 90 years old now, who, when he was younger, would sit in front of a piano, play his fiddle, stomp on a self-made contraption that thru a series of foot pedels, levers and rods would plunk cords on the piano key board and all the while he would be calling the dance. One man band indeed. He also told me when he was young he would play at the dances until 2;30 in the morning and get home just in time for milking the cows. Now thats living.....

randy

Edited by fiddlerjoebob

It would probably work with a duet. I seem to recall that an English duet player who died last year, a member of a quite well-known ceilidh band, lost his left hand in an accident some years ago, yet continued to be able play his duet, strapping the bass end to his right leg and playing the melody only, with his right hand. So, providing you have two good hands, you should, with practice, be able to bang a drum, or use some other percussion instrument, with your left hand, whilst at the same time, playing the melody on the tina with your right hand, in the manner of a pipe and tabor! Perhaps some eccentric duet player may be willing to give it a go and report back?

Chris

Waste a perfectly good hand to work a goatskin drum? No self respecting duet player. Try 'looney' instead of 'eccentric'

What about playing another sort of keyboard with your other hand? That might show some profit. Tune on the duet rh, accompaniment on electric piano, say. No I'm not going to try that either, sorry. I'll wait until I can affford that midi Maccan.

It would probably work with a duet. I seem to recall that an English duet player who died last year, a member of a quite well-known ceilidh band, lost his left hand in an accident some years ago, yet continued to be able play his duet, strapping the bass end to his right leg and playing the melody only, with his right hand.

You're probably thinking of Dave Brady. I've loaned a small Crane duet to Mick Tems who is teaching himself to play it in precisely this manner (for those who don't know, Mick played mean anglo and melodeon until a severe stroke some years back paralysed his left side).

Chris

Dave also played a mean single-handed Bass Guitar. Lovely man. He lost is arm at 17. When I saw him with Swan Arcade he didn't strap the box to his knee (with one arm it's a hassle) he held it between his knees!

To give some idea of the man this an excerpt from an obit

"Dave never regarded losing his arm as a disability. He was a member of the one-armed golfers' association, continued potholing, learned to use a chainsaw and, with the SCO, did all the tasks expected of the job. He moved the instruments, including grand pianos, and drove the truck up and down the country and on foreign tours."

Steve

Edited to add more info

Edited by oggie

I thought the ability to play anglo with one end between your knees and a pint pot in the free hand was a must for any thirsty musician.

Ha! definitely a skill to develop.

I'm awaiting my Bodhran, and yes, the Pipe and Tabor was exactly what I had in mind, though I have considered using a stringed instrument as well, like a mini-koto or Nordic lyre.

I will definitley post my results as soon as I have them. I was hoping some of the more skilled players would volunteer up a show.

I have also considered rigging up one of those bicycle brake tethers with a device to push the skin so as to change pitch (kind of like the controls on a tymphany drum).

Hmmm, I seem to encounter difficulty when I attempt to sing and play the violin at the same time. I have a feeling that attempting this sort of manuver would be just as futile for me. However, it is quite interesting to see what you all come up with. :P

I'd say stick to the pipe and tabor, that's what it was designed for, after all!

Hmmm, I seem to encounter difficulty when I attempt to sing and play the violin at the same time.

A memory from my mis-spent youth at the Grove in Leeds is of Tom McConville singing while playing the fiddle laid flat on his left arm just above waist level. I saw him for the first time in many years just a few months ago at Faversham Folk Club and was shocked to see him now singing with the violin under his chin. I challenged him about changing his style. "Oh", he said with a disarming wink, "That was just kids' stuff"! :o

It would probably work with a duet. I seem to recall that an English duet player who died last year, a member of a quite well-known ceilidh band, lost his left hand in an accident some years ago, yet continued to be able play his duet, strapping the bass end to his right leg and playing the melody only, with his right hand.

You're probably thinking of Dave Brady.

Chris

Yep, it was Dave Brady I was thinking off, Chris. Thanks for reminding me. My head is so full of tunes, I now have difficulty remembering names!

Chris