Tanzbaer Concertina

asdormire

I saw this on ebay and thought neat:Tanzbaer Concertina Music Rolls Germany Vintage .

I was wondering if this is like a player piano, can it be played as a regular concertina as well as play the rolls?

The other cool thing was the Store's stamp on it being from New Bedford which was where my wife is from. Not that we can afford another instrument right now, but that made just a little more interesting.

Alan

I was wondering if this is like a player piano, can it be played as a regular concertina as well as play the rolls?

Alan,

These come up on eBay quite frequently and have been discussed before under Tanzbar. Unfortunately, and unlike a player piano, they cannot be played as a regular concertina as the buttons are ornamental and non-functioning. :(

• 5 months later...
I just found this if anyone has an interest to hear one. I can't tell if the musician is playing most of the tune or the paper roll is the tune. Looks interesting anyhow.

Accoredéon Automate - Contertina

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5i15t_ac...tina-tanz_music

Thanks

Leo

I want one!

It doesn't look like there is any mechanism for the buttons at the end he opened, maybe the other end plays though, you don't get a view of that.

• 2 months later...
Thanks Stephen, I thought they had, but couldn't find it using the Tanzbaer spelling.

Alan,

That depends on whether you're using umlauts or not! In German it is either Tanzbär (with umlaut) or Tanzbaer (without), but in English we'd write it (in blissful ignorance! :rolleyes: ) as Tanzbar.

I just found this if anyone has an interest to hear one. I can't tell if the musician is playing most of the tune or the paper roll is the tune.

Leo,

The same clip was posted on eBay a few weeks ago when that very instrument was for sale there, along with a companion clip that shows the "player" cranking the operating lever: Mélodie Moulin rouge - Automate Musique Accordéon - Contertina Tanzbär de 1930

It seemed to be in top-class original (unrestored) condition, but failed to reach its reserve. :(

Thanks Stephen. Operating lever. Now I see how it works on the right hand. I really should wear my glasses more. I couldn't tell if he was playing buttons or not, now i can see it.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

I saw this on ebay and thought neat:Tanzbaer Concertina Music Rolls Germany Vintage .

The other cool thing was the Store's stamp on it being from New Bedford which was where my wife is from. Not that we can afford another instrument right now, but that made just a little more interesting.

Nope, it can't be played by hand.

I (used to?) collect little player reed organs and the liek, and came close to buying a Tanzbaer at a swap meet. It's a lot harder to paly than it looks! You have to squeeze and pull bellows liek the real thing (at least it's unisonoric, whew!), and at the same time pump a little lever that spins a flywheel that advances the player roll. Talk about chewing gum and rubbing your tummy! Personally I had less trouble learning to play my Hayden Duet :o . Not kidding!

But the Tanzbaer really is a cool gadget. But "baer" in mind, if you buy a self-playing instrument, you'll spend hours and dollars hunting up more rolls/discs/cylinders for the blasted thing. Part of the fun.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer