Wha'd You Get?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! What fun. I look forward to hearing more about it.

All being well, I'll have it by this time next week, though I won't be back home until the middle of that week.

Here's another photo of the two Webb brothers, taken almost 40 years earlier in Germany, with a fine array of concertinas (probably including this one):

JoJoRuteLeipzigc1890.jpg

Here's another photo of the two Webb brothers, taken almost 40 years earlier in Germany, with a fine array of concertinas (probably including this one):

What a beautiful and unique instrument you've found! You do have a clown suit to wear while playing it, I hope? :)

What in the world is that thing behind the clown on the right in that photo? That couldn't be a bunch of bulb horns on a wooden frame...could it?

No concertinas - insufficient capital these days and living on a pension ;)

However, a CD by Magpie Lane "Knock at the Knocker, Ring at the Bell", also a book of Graeme Miles songs - "Forgotten Songs Remembered"

Geoff

You do have a clown suit to wear while playing it, I hope? :)

As a matter of fact that's a touchy subject, as around 15 years ago there was a JoJo Webb concertina in auction complete with one of his clown suits, but there was something else there that I wanted even more that day, so I couldn't afford to bid on it. I'm not sure if this concertina is the same one , but the man I'm buying it off inherited it and doesn't know anything about a clown suit... :(

What in the world is that thing behind the clown on the right in that photo?

They're tuned sleigh bells.

That couldn't be a bunch of bulb horns on a wooden frame...could it?

To put things into context, the first motor cars only went into production in 1890, the year the photograph is believed to have been taken, though I seem to remember reading that the Webbs later had tuned bulb horns hidden in their costumes.

Mine's a good bit older and seems to think she's a music critic; at least she always leaves the room if I start playing a concertina... :unsure:

I'm lucky. When I start playing my concertina my "Aussie" runs into the room with me, sits real close and watches intently ... sometimes he even throws his head back and sings and sings and sings! post-206-1199214213_thumb.jpg :)

Bill Taffe

Rumney, NH

No concertina under the tree... In fact not really ;-) Because it was money under the tree, and the money has been used to order my first concertina : a Rochelle from Concertina Connection ! I wait for it, maybe tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. It's hard to wait !!!

I would have answered "nothing", but at a party on Saturday last I was handed a 20 button East German anglo with a button missing and a broken hand strap and told "take it away".

I'm considering seeing just what I can do to it to improve it. All the notes sound now that I've made a temporary button and new handstrap and the tuning could be worse:)

Robin Madge

No concertina under the tree... In fact not really ;-) Because it was money under the tree, and the money has been used to order my first concertina : a Rochelle from Concertina Connection ! I wait for it, maybe tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. It's hard to wait !!!

I just receive my Rochelle this morning. I'm very happy and I begin to learn.

I just receive my Rochelle this morning. I'm very happy and I begin to learn.

So, early days, but what are your first impressions?

Regards,

Peter.

So, early days, but what are your first impressions?

Well. About the instrument, I like the sound, the buttons are pleasing to the touch. The instrument is nice, and it seems to be strong. The only problem that I meet it's the same as in this post, so it will disappear.

About the learning now. Of course it's very different from the piano (all the buttons are the same and it don't produce the same thing if you push or draw). So I think I had to acquire automatic reflexes, to learn how to produce this note, etc.

I had two methods for the moment. One in french by Didier Jaffrédo, and an other one in english given with the instrument. I think the english one is better for me for the moment, I prefer the progression. And it learn me the ABC notation and I think it will be usefull if I have to talk with an english player or teacher. But it seems to me that the english one don't talk about ornements, so I will study the french one in some months. I ordered the John William's DVD (but not receive).

I think I will make some videos of my learning. The first tunes of the method it's "When the saints", but I don't begin to learn it for the moment.

So what's happened to your mystery new toy Stephen? Still in negotiations?

I'm flying to England for a few days at the beginning of January to collect it (touch wood!) and see a few old friends. :)

Which I did, and greatly enjoyed. So here is a new photo of Jo-Jo Webb's famous concertina, praised by no less a critic than George Bernard Shaw:

Jo-Joconcertinaedit.jpg

There was a letter with it showing that it had been bought, by the father of the man who sold it to me, off Tommy Williams for £8.00 in 1968.

But on Friday I was surprised to actually receive a belated Christmas gift of a concertina in the post, from my friend Gérard Dôle in Paris. It is an old German toy one:

Goldtoyconcertinaedit.jpg

Curiously, Alf's concertina has gold sides/bellows, Jo-Jo's has gold buttons and the toy one has gold ends... :huh:

Edited by Stephen Chambers