Wha'd You Get?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What'd you get? :rolleyes:

No concertinas or other expensive gifts for me. But in the last week or so I've reestablished contact with a few old friends, and a good friend won the auction for that beautiful bass concertina. That's enough to warm my heart this year. :)

I guess my best possible Christmas present (to myself) was Alf Edwards' gold Æola, which I bought only a few weeks ago.

DSCF54282.jpg

You can hear him play it on the Arthur Dulay web page (about two thirds of the way down, on the right), something I had the great pleasure of at his home back in 1973, but I never thought I'd come to own the instrument myself. It figures prominently in the tutor book that he wrote, Wheatstone's Instructions for the English Concertina, which got me started in the first place.

AlfEdwards.jpg

Mind you, I wouldn't have minded that amboyna 56-key treble Æola in New York for Christmas too, but Santa said I was just being greedy... :(

Edited to add photos.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

This guy seems to have had a very good Christmas

http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/16189

He does indeed! :blink:

Not only did he get a 38-key Anglo made by Henry Crabb, that was found in a family attic and appears to be in very nice condition, but it even has fretwork that is engraved and in the fancier design normally reserved for 46-key instruments.

HenryCrabbengraved38-key.jpg

Very nice! thumb.gif

Edited to add photo.

This guy seems to have had a very good Christmas

http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/16189

He does indeed! :blink:

Not only did he get a 38-key Anglo made by Henry Crabb, that was found in a family attic and appears to be very nice condition, but it even has fretwork that is engraved and in the fancier design normally reserved for 46-key instruments.

Edited to add photo.

Seems he has turned up where all concertina players should congregate http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ic=6920&hl=

my wife bought me, from ebay, a Lachenal & Co Rosewood 48 key English 'tina.

Serial # 85884, beautiful sound, can't believe she did it!!!

...told her that I had always wanted to learn one, now I have to!!!!

I got a new concertina for Christmas...er, well, I mean I am still paying for the one I got last summer so it's, like my birthday present and Christmas present and more. I am very Ok with that.

What'd you get? :rolleyes:

Joyful New Year to all.

Randy

post-6402-1198703453_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stephen Peszel

A dialogue has started between me and Harold Herrington in just the last couple of days that may have some interesting results.

Watch this space ...

Chris

PS

my wife bought me, from ebay, a Lachenal & Co Rosewood 48 key English 'tina.

Serial # 85884, beautiful sound, can't believe she did it!!!

...told her that I had always wanted to learn one,now I have too!!!!

That's really heartwarming. Congratulations, you have an unusually perspicacious partner.

Edited by Chris Timson

£180 speeding fine ...

Not nice! :(

... and this to squeeze !

Nice, but I don't recommend squeezin' 'em - them's got claws and teeth! :blink:

Mine's a good bit older and seems to think she's a music critic; at least she always leaves the room if I start playing a concertina... :unsure:

I received a book of humorous quotations which included this:

"Anyone who has heard certain kinds of performance on the concertina will admit that even suicide has its brighter aspects" Stephen Leacock

Of course, I should burn the book immediately. However, despite myself I can't help feeling a slight twinge of sympathy for his point of view...

Well our "Christmas" present (bought in September and arrived in December) is a free reed instrument and therefore has bellows (looks like suction type on this model). has 5 octaves Starting in F1 for her main voice though the sub bass goes even further down though very limited (1 octave range). She has 13 stops, bass and treble couplers, a non functioning Vox Humana (tremolo) and needs a good bit of work though only has 9 reeds that don't speak and is tuned to A4= 452. This leaves us with the crux of deciding whether to leave her at 452 or retune to 440 very difficult choice and have not made up our minds yet. It was my gift to my wife (an organ student in the Diocesan program of St Andrews & Edinburgh). She also has two knee levers one that is Grand Forte (as was common with the left knee lever)and the other is a swell primarily for the Treble section. The only problem is her crown was cut off at sometime ago and need to find out what it would have been and some time in the future replace it.

We have also gotten a signed copy of Mr. Gellerman's book from him and love it as it adds to my knowledge and will be a great help in restoring her with the other book we have gotten by Mr. Ord-Hume.

Picture below of our new member of the family, a harmonium.

post-3997-1198767924_thumb.jpg

A Merry Christmas to all (Christmas doesn't end till Epiphany). Well we just won an auction on Ebay for a Lachenal 48 button brass reeds that I get to repair for the Wife which will be alot of fun for me as get to rebuild one and also have the fun of hearing her play it afterwards (tend towards Anglo myself).

post-3997-1198771744_thumb.jpg

Michael

Keep Christ in Christmas

Edited by Michael Marino

Well, Randy, I didn't get anything concertina related (only this Macbook Pro...) but I GAVE a 1941 version of The Maritime History of Massachusetts by Samuel Eliot Morison to my beloved and read him a certain passage aloud. I got hugs, misty eyes, and a great deal of appreciation and gratitude in return.

Anyone who was at this year's NESI will remember the passage in question, recited at the Saturday concert by our own Fiddlerjoebob. Magnificent!