Buying My First English Concertina?

Hello there,

I'm looking to purchase my first English concertina - I think.

I say 'think' as I'm fairly sure that English (rather than Anglo) will suit me best.

Assuming I do go for an English, I wondered I'd anyone could offer any hints on what I should buy?

My budget is approx. £500 - I don't know what I should expect to buy for that. New or secondhand?

Or should I go cheaper to start, make sure I can put the playing time , then buy something much better?

I'm based in the UK so would also appreciate and leads re. shops etc.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

I suggest that you go to a store that has both and can demonstrate both - and/or to a session, festival or whatever to experience some first hand. Then if English still makes sense for your first stab (or anglo, duet...) try to borrow, rent, or buy (in that order) whatever type you can get. Don't put much money into this as you're not sure if the type is for you, and even if it does "click", you'll be wanting to get a better one fairly soon anyway.

If you'll be buying an English I suggest to get a Jackie as they're an excellent value (new or used) and only about €265 (new). They're also come in decent shape and have been very reliable. Some places have a full-price upgrade policy for that make/model when bought new. They have very good resale value in any case.

-- Rich --

Hello there,

I'm looking to purchase my first English concertina - I think.

I say 'think' as I'm fairly sure that English (rather than Anglo) will suit me best.

Assuming I do go for an English, I wondered I'd anyone could offer any hints on what I should buy?

My budget is approx. £500 - I don't know what I should expect to buy for that. New or secondhand?

Or should I go cheaper to start, make sure I can put the playing time , then buy something much better?

I'm based in the UK so would also appreciate and leads re. shops etc.

Simon,

If you're near Manchester, check out Jubilee Concertina workshops. Where you can try and see all varieties of concertinas (though english are in the majority at the workshops). They also have a couple of loaners.

Chris Algar (Barleycorn) in Staffordshire has an enormous number of secondhand concertinas and is a good bloke to deal with. Your budget may just get you a lower end vintage Lachenal English - some of these are very good. As a beginner, you'd do best to make sure any box is overhauled properly (ie avoid ebay until you know what to look for - and even then be very careful!) Vintage boxes hold their price well. Hobgoblin Stores are also worth a look (branches all over)

The Jackie seems to the best new option currently available and should also hold much of it's value if you change your mind!

Theo at the Box Place Gateshead, may have something in your price range

There are others.... as recommended, try for somewhere local enough that you can look and feel and try.