Identity

Dear Caroline and Folks: First, neither the red nor the large type was meant to express anger or anything like that. Second, as Stephen and many of you know I live in New York (no I will not give you my credit card numbers, though as an employee of a public, state-supported university, my salary can be tracked down on the internet). Were we, in fact, supposed to choose a pseudonym when we registered on C.net? If so, I think I'd like to go with Anon. IV, one of my very favorite medieval theorists, so called because his is the fourth treatise in a series of anonymous treatises by medieval music theorists published by Edmond Coussemaker in the nineteenth century. Thus I am henceforth Anon. IV.

Anon. IV

Edited by allan atlas

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I choose a pseudo as required by the forum when you subscrive...

Caroline,

Actually, you aren't required to choose a pseudonym, though that's an option, you're perfectly at liberty to use your real name if you want, as both I and Allan chose to do (and Marien, I know Allan is who he says he is, because I've met him ;) ).

... valse lente is my favorite tune, the one I prefer to play, the one with which I end a little show, the one who makes my ex jolipapa cry !!!

Hmmm, so maybe I should change my name to "swingvalse"? I adore the swing valse La Valse des Niglots, amongst others, and like to visit Paris most years for some jazz manouche... :)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I've had no problems arise from using my full name here. I like it when others do it too (or at least share their first names), especially when they're exchanging private messages with me. And I'm happy to now see a few folks who have only been pseudonyms in the past post their names on this thread.

Daniel

Allan,

I haven't had any bad experiences with using my real name on concertina stuff. It seems to me that using real names tends to keep postings ever so slightly more civil and reasonable (though clearly not always!)....no one wants to be Googled to find foolish posts in their Googled files, and those using pseudonyms are not so constrained. But I also understand the general reluctance of many to be named...it is a jungle out there.

It would be nice to know the country of origin of everyone, though...or even a continent.

If c.net were an organization, you could get a member's list, which would be useful. A knowledge sharing forum is not the same thing, of course.

Cheers,

Dan

. . . .and since i'm not up on Robert's Rules of Order, does the withdrawal of a motion end all discussion about it. . . .

I don't think it matters, since we haven't yet voted to adopt Robert's Rules, nor do we have a procedure for doing so. B)

I sometimes sign my posts with my given name but keep other details to myself until I know people a little better and then exchange details privately by PM if there's a valid reason to do so. I invariably sign PMs with my name. I've nothing to hide but see no reason to clutter the place up with irrelevant detail. So I'll meet you halfway Allan. ;)

Pete. :)

p.s. My copy of Contemplating the Concertina is on the bookcase waiting for me to develop sufficient expertise to start using it and I have my fingers crossed that Santa might bring me a copy of The Wheatstone English Concertina in Victorian England...

ALL IN FAVOR SAY YEAH. . . . .ALL OPPOSED SAY NOPE..................

Allan W. Atlas

Nope... .. . .

Whatever people choose to call themselves IS their name - here at least. Whether its the given birth name, or one choosen for their concertina ID, that is their name here. On Microchip's forum, I could not have "Gerry" so I choose "concertinaman". Am I hiding behind a pseudonym? or am I anouncing a different and irrelevant part of my life to the electronics community?

It matters? - Really?

Whatever people choose to call themselves IS their name - here at least. Whether its the given birth name, or one choosen for their concertina ID, that is their name here.

Not just on C.net.

"James" is the name on my birth certificate, but I've been known as "Jim" for most of my life. (And I've occasionally been known by other names -- not all of my own choosing, -- which I prefer not to divulge here.) My passport and other government documents say "James", but on my bank accounts and in other "formal" contexts I successfully use "Jim".

Then there's my friend "Babe". Though that's not the name she was given when she was born, it's the only name she's been known by since she was a small child. Some years ago she got tired of people asking her, "Is that your real name?" and then insisting on explanations. She had her name legally changed to "Babe", so now she answers that question with a simple "Yes," and the conversation can continue un-sidetracked. :D

Ah, the happy chaos on C.net continues...I agree with Dana. We are what we are, to paraphrase the cartoon character Popeye.

If there's one item I wish new folks would fill in more often, it would be location. At least tell us what continent/island you are on. How often is a first post What kind to buy, Which system to play Where is a teacher etc. Followed by the usual first response, where are you located? We could make it mandatory to enter location at registration, but that leaves out several thousand existing members, which seems uneven to me, and like names we cant force folks to tell us anything truthful anyway. Maybe that's one of the strengths (and weaknesses) of the Internet. So we muddle along in our inefficient way. When I dwell on those things too much, I go play concertina instead!

Ken

FOLKS: well, i certainly didn't think i would unleash such a reaction. . . . .perhaps i did it subconciously to make up for all the threads i've killed over the years. . . . . . .at any rate, it's nice to know that everyone is not only free and able to do what he or she wants to do, but will in fact do it. . . . . .i can even sign my name:

ANON. IV (a.k.a.: AWA)

Edited by allan atlas