Concertinas Players In Canada ?

Hello everybody,

I am the questions girl, always want to know things, ask questions like kids !!!

Well, well, well...

Who plays the concertina in Montreal or around in Québec province ? I need to meet people there, to hear them play and talk of their instrument, try myself too !

Thank you for your answers....

Our site owner and fearless leader, Paul Schwartz, lives on the west side of Montreal and plays anglo. I expect he would be happy to hear from you (search his name in the Members area). Other players up there will likely identify themselves...bon chance!

Ken

Hello everybody,

I am the questions girl, always want to know things, ask questions like kids !!!

Well, well, well...

Who plays the concertina in Montreal or around in Québec province ? I need to meet people there, to hear them play and talk of their instrument, try myself too !

There's a Guillaume that lives in Montreal, cool guy. Nice guy. I don't know where he is exactly though... Maybe he'll see your post. He plays an Edgely and knows a boatload of tunes.

Hello everybody,

Well, well, well...

There's Robin, a member of this site as Lildogturpy. Plays the English concertina and attends Irish sessions. Look him up under members.

Im in Hamilton, Ont. Ive just started learning on the anglo but im a fiddler and attend alot of sessions in the area. I lurk on this website reading about concertinas alot too...a poor student must make due with any concertina he can get, even if the buttons stick.

There's a Guillaume that lives in Montreal, cool guy. Nice guy. I don't know where he is exactly though... Maybe he'll see your post. He plays an Edgely and knows a boatload of tunes.

Guillaume is a member here - goes under the name of Azalin. He plays an Anglo C/G.

Dear Slow Waltz: had you lived in the late 1840s/early 1850s, you might have bumped into ANNIE OLIVER. . . . a canadian concertinist. . . . .but she was already in New York by 1852 and in London in 1854 (age ten). . . . . .more recently, there's the concertinist in the british film "49th Parallel", for which Vaughan Williams wrote the music. . . . . .wasn't it Lawrence Olivier who played the instrument?????????...........Allan

. . . . . .wasn't it Lawrence Olivier who played the instrument?????????...........Allan

Hi Allan

I have a copy of the "49th Parallel". It was filmed in Montreal, and England. Those WWII movies are my favourites. At 21 Minits into the film, one of the minor characters plays and sings a French tune to an English Concertina. I can't tell if he plays it or if it's used as a prop. It's a 4 fold bellows Wheatstone, if I got my identification correct. I'm still not too good at that. Olivier plays the sub skipper marooned in Canada.

The film is in the public domain and is on Google Videos. You can watch it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=19...h&plindex=0

Thanks

Leo

Hello guys,

The song in the film is a very old french song my mum sung to me, in another minor melody !!! If I had the cam to record or something I would sing it for you !

I donot understand Allan I am sorry, it sounds to me very surrealistic wrinting, maybe because of my english... and because I donot know the references you talk about, I must look like an old pinched lady without sense of humour or maybe a woman from Mars planet !!!

Anyway I am from Paris and live in Canada since 10 years, my identity stays parisian, ... jewish, from here and elsewhere, from here and everywhere !!!

Hello guys,

The song in the film is a very old french song my mum sung to me, in another minor melody !!! If I had the cam to record or something I would sing it for you !

I donot understand Allan I am sorry, it sounds to me very surrealistic wrinting, maybe because of my english... and because I donot know the references you talk about, I must look like an old pinched lady without sense of humour or maybe a woman from Mars planet !!!

Anyway I am from Paris and live in Canada since 10 years, my identity stays parisian, ... jewish, from here and elsewhere, from here and everywhere !!!

Dear Valse lente: Please tell me just what you don't understand. As you can see, this time I'm writing with normal English punctuation.

Dear Valse lente: Please tell me just what you don't understand.

Allan,

I'm not surprised that Caroline (valselente) may be struggling with your potted history of concertina playing in Canada, not only is English not her first language, but also she's trying to find out about living players there!

Mind you, you missed out any reference to George Case being in Ste-Antoine Ward, Montreal, on the 1881 Canadian Census - which we've corresponded about. He and Grace Egerton (Mrs. Case) seem to have done plenty of touring!

Edited by Stephen Chambers