56 Key Amboyna Aeola

Andie

I had the uneasy feeling that I'd seen this instrument before, but to my relief I discovered that that was on C.net earlier in the year when it was the subject of an earlier thread: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...08&hl=31987

I admired it greatly then, and thought it would make a lovely companion for my 1926 amboyna tenor-treble, but that's a hefty amount he's wanting to start it at... :unsure:

Anyway, I don't need it. I've just got Alf's box, which is a super treble! :)

I do not need another treble

I do not need another treble :unsure:

But it is gorgeous... :wub:

Sure you do Stephen!

Addition by subtraction (Loosely to the tune of We Wish You A Merry Christmas):

I do not need another treble!

I know no need for other trebles!

Indeed I need another treble!

And it's amboyna too!

In the true tradition of The Harvest Festival, Solstice, Saturnalia, Wassail, Christmas and Mastercard...

GO FOR IT! and let the fiscal New Year sort itself out.

We are all behind you all the way to the poorhouse.

Greg

I do not need another treble :unsure:

But it is gorgeous... :wub:

Sure you do Stephen!

You would say that laugh.gif, you're selling it!

3-1.gif

Mind you, I took Alf's box out with me tonight for the first time, to the session in Kilrush, and it is magnificent - it has a fantastic dynamic range that makes people listen to it, even the drunks in a large and noisy pub! In fact everybody wanted to "have a go" on it, including the Anglo players... ;)

I do not need another treble... :huh:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Along the lines of "Oh! Dear, What Can the Matter Be?":

I do not need, a 'nother treble.

Temptation is here, to test my mettle.

Oh what the h...! Let's dance with the devil,

And she's amboyna too.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Alf, Stephen. It may give you strength, but I suspect we are watching a drowning man. I, for one, might just as well be looking in the mirror.

My sympathies and regards,

Greg

I'm glad you are enjoying the Alf, Stephen. It may give you strength, but I suspect we are watching a drowning man. I, for one, might just as well be looking in the mirror.

My sympathies and regards

3-2.gif 3-2.gif 3-2.gif

Thanks Greg,

It's pure greed really, I've already got this amboyna tenor-treble:

Aeolatenor-treble31205.jpg

... and frankly I've got my perfect treble in Alf's one. Indeed, I often said that I thought the ideal combination was the contrast of a sweet-sounding wooden-ended tenor-treble and a bright metal-ended treble (when most people seemed to go for a metal-ended tenor-treble and a wooden-ended treble - to try to "equalise" the sound of them), and now I've got it at last.

I do not need another treble... :rolleyes:

But I do need a new kitchen... :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Stephen whilst your on this subject I wonder whether you would be kind enough to roughly date mine.It has dovetailed reeds and riveted levers and its serial No 9008.Ive owned it many years and have often wondered about its age.Many thanks,David.post-536-1197819238_thumb.jpgSorry the picture is not very good.

Stephen whilst your on this subject I wonder whether you would be kind enough to roughly date mine.It has dovetailed reeds and riveted levers and its serial No 9008.Ive owned it many years and have often wondered about its age.Many thanks,David.post-536-1197819238_thumb.jpgSorry the picture is not very good.

If it's a Wheatstone I can't see how the number can be correct (could it be 29008?) Or is it a Crabb perhaps?

Having checked the ledgers and price lists, I'm betting it is 29008. This would make it a model 19 (aeola tenor treble) from late 1921. Seems to fit the photo.

Edited by Paul Read

If it's a Wheatstone I can't see how the number can be correct (could it be 29008?) Or is it a Crabb perhaps?

Having checked the ledgers and price lists, I'm betting it is 29008. This would make it a model 19 (aeola tenor treble) from late 1921. Seems to fit the photo.

The instrument is certainly a bit of a puzzle as several things seem not to be "right" about it, like rosewood (?) ends, the finger plates and the oval badge, not forgetting the serial number...

I too wonder if it shouldn't be #29008, which was built as a metal-ended instrument, and it has been modified at a later date. It even has the SV (single valve - windkey) and WS (wrist straps) that 29008 is listed as having. Does it have the batch number 10 stamped inside it by any chance?

If so, the original date is 12th November 1921.