Is Anyone Still Making 20 Button Boxes

Some years ago, I had in my possession a Lachenol 20-button set up in the keys of D and A. I have often regretted that I traded it back. The D-A setup offers some very unique fignering opportunities, although it can get a bit shrill in those A row notes above the middle-finger button of the right hand.

I have been thinking hard about investing in another D-A by a modern maker of rivetted-action boxes. Are any of these makers still putting out 20 button boxes or are those a thing of the past? I have a 33-button Connor I like very much, set up by Paul Groff. A little heavy, but made to last.

Suggestions? Comments?

If you want a modern maker to make a 20-button box, then you are restricting yourself to those who will make a custom box - the Dippers, Suttner, Dickinson etc. If you're doing that anyway, why not get a thirty-button D-A? you might be able to widen your choice of makers as well.

Just my tuppenyworth...

Chris

Edited for typo.

Edited by Chris Timson

The D-A setup offers some very unique fignering opportunities, although it can get a bit shrill in those A row notes above the middle-finger button of the right hand.

I have one of these - it's very quiet at the moment as some internal wood shrinkage is making it leak like a sieve. But I can imagine it'll be a bit of a dog-whistle up the top end when I've fixed it. :)

Interestingly the note names stamped on the reed shoes in mine correspond to the actual pitches for the A-row of the left hand, but the shoes for the right-hand A-row are stamped as if they were actually in G.

If I was having one made, I'd go for 30 (or 30+?) keys, though, much as I like 20 key instruments.

If you want a modern maker to make a 20-button box, then you are restricting yourself to those who will make a custom box - the Dippers, Suttner, Dickinson etc.

Maybe one of the other makers would be willing to make a 20-button box instead of a 30-button, but I would guess that it would cost the same or more. Saving on reeds and mechanism parts would be offset by extra labor to customize or plug up standard parts that have holes for the 10 buttons you "don't want".

So why not get a 30-button in D/A? You don't have to use the "extra" buttons if you don't want to. And even the added weight of those additional reeds shouldn't be a problem, not compared to your Connor. My 30-button Button Box Ceili model C/G weighs 2 pounds even. I have a 26-button C/G Lachenal at 1 oz. less and a 20-button Ab/Eb Lachenal at 6 oz. less.

Hello,

I like to take select Lachenal and Jones 20 keys (chosen for woodwork and buttons in very nice condition) and commission "hotrod" (upgraded) rebuilds from the best concertina makers. Due to the low market value of unrestored 20 keys, such an instrument, if given a nice new, ample 6 fold bellows and riveted action, becomes a great player at reasonable cost. For the best of these, the best vintage reeds can be selected and/or new reedtongues made, and some of these will give the professional quality instruments a run for their money. I was told that a 30-key hotrod Lachenal like this was a bit hit at Noel Hill's school last year, and many other great players who have seen these like them also.

Many D/A concertinas can be very shrill in tone, but the woodwork of a good rosewood or even mahogany LAchenal seems to keep those high notes from becoming too harsh. I would definitely recommend a hotrodded 20 key Lachenal D/A as a great instrument for everything that can be played on a Quebecois or Irish melodeon in D - and much more.

Paul

If it is the shrillness of the A row that you are worried about, you could also consider a D/A with a "Drop A" tuning (so that the A is a fourth below the D, rather than a fifth above, one octage lower than a standard D/A).

This, obviously, would have to be a modern custom instrument.

--Dave

A 30-button may be a little heaveir than a 20-button, but modern 30-buttons, can be made lighter than older ones. I never had patience for a 20-button, so I found adjusting to a 30-button to be well worth it.

I think Tedrow has made D/A Anglos like this before, even some with the Dropped A row. Here's a D/A he shows on his site:

Jeffries papers; aluminum buttons; d/a pitch

- Alex

The D-A setup offers some very unique fignering opportunities, although it can get a bit shrill in those A row notes above the middle-finger button of the right hand.

Unless you're talking about a piccolo D/A, it should only be one musical whole-step above a C/G. Is it really significantly more shrill than a C/G?

I play a D/A concertina with a "baritone" A row. I built ten of them a few years back, they are scattered about the country.

My first concertina was a d/a bastari with a factory "baritone" a row. At the time (80's) I had never met another player and assumed all concertinas were set up similary.

Bob

Unless you're talking about a piccolo D/A, it should only be one musical whole-step above a C/G. Is it really significantly more shrill than a C/G?

Those metal reeds above G# on the right hand can really peep at you.

BUT you can really play a Scottish reel in A major fast with a box like Paul described above.

As far as the baritone row A is concerned, I don't know about that. I had an A-D melodeon but didn't care much for that bariton setup. Maybe it is just that I was used to playing G major on the C-G Anglo and wanted a box that duplicated it in A major.

Call me old fashioned, but I sort of like a 20 button Lachenol refitted with rivetted action. They really sound great with fine reeds. Nice, resonant tone. Light. Fun to wail on. I'll bet a G-D 20-button Lachenol would sound really sweet.

Still, D-A is practical. My opinion anyway.