Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh!

RiverHamble

the piano keyboard isn't a linear, one dimensional layout - you can constantly sliding in order to switch keys, reach accidentals, or facilitate technical runs.

The linear vs. spacial keyboard concept is not concerned with the lenth of the keys. One can construct piano keyboard with buttons.

Sliding along the key will get you into different tone. Uniformed can be made with 2 to 4 rows.

Jim's description is interesting, but I usually consider piano keyboard as two, one diatonic in the key of C and one pentatonic in the key of :blink: . Both playable on their own. I'm not a pianist, but having older dauther taking piano, and supervising her progress, I practiced her pieces for at least first 3 years, and paid much attention to the teaching methods. Otherwise, I can't play, but I can give advices :D

What instrument is that? It looks a hybrid melodica-clarinet....what is its tone like?

I will say that if you change the length of the keys, it's no longer the same keyboard, since the same physical gestures are not required to play it. So the length of the keys is of great importance.

Tallship is probably right - this topic should probably have its own thread, and we should probably all be practicing!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the debate raging in the barely related sub-topic, I would have thought it warranted a thread of its' own by now. :rolleyes:

We once had spontaneus fascineting discussions at work, that lasted for hours. Finally we decided to move them elsewhere after work. Discussions were successfully killed.

(it was during Danger Productions days. Anybody remembers "Bump in the Night" show?)

[you wouldn't argue that Bandoneon is as difficult to learn as piano?]

as a matter of fact, yes, i would argue that bandoneon is at least as difficult to learn as piano. same with the big chromatic accordions with free basses, same with large-keyboard free-bass piano accordions.

what i wouldn't argue, is that concertina is as difficult to learn as piano. it is difficult, but i would not argue as difficult as piano.

but bandoneon---70-something bisonoric buttons voicing 140-something tones, and organized in no sequential or handy mnemonic layout, compared to 88 unisonoric sequentially laid-out keys, um......bandoneistas take decades to get there on this instrument. astor piazzolla was locked in a closet or bathroom or something by his father or uncle for ages as a boy and tortured until he grasped it....

...bandoneon---70-something bisonoric buttons voicing 140-something tones, and organized in no sequential or handy mnemonic layout, compared to 88 unisonoric sequentially laid-out keys, um......

That comment led me to try to imagine a "bisonoric piano". Now how would that work?

Aha! A piano that sounds one note when you press a key... and a different note when you release the key!

Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!
:ph34r:

What instrument is that? It looks a hybrid melodica-clarinet....what is its tone like?

It's a Melodica with piano keyboard. Only it's a small Melodica and long keys are too long.

The tone is warm, due to brass reeds, and quiet. It also has very typical delay of slow reed response.

It's very much harmonica-style, but harmonicas respond quicker, esp. those latest with stainless steel reeds.