Need Help Selecting An Instrument For Son

Hi,

I'm a musical dunce, but my son really wants a concertina for Christmas. He has a couple of years' piano and a good ear for music. He wants to play Flogging Molly covers with a band of friends. I've heard a few tracks and I know they use accordion and concertina. Just wondering if anyone's familiar with their music who could suggest an appropriate instrument.

Thanks!

Kellan

Hi,

I'm a musical dunce, but my son really wants a concertina for Christmas. He has a couple of years' piano and a good ear for music. He wants to play Flogging Molly covers with a band of friends. I've heard a few tracks and I know they use accordion and concertina. Just wondering if anyone's familiar with their music who could suggest an appropriate instrument.

Thanks!

Kellan

I listened to a few youtubes of Flogging Molly. They sound like a thrashing Irish rock band that has a few elements of trad and folk with drum kit up high in the mix. My thinking is that his best bet would be an accordion since he already knows about the piano and Flogging Molly uses one; I saw no concertina being played in the few videos I saw. If his heart is set on a concertina (I can understand that) then get him an Anglo. They lend themselves to being very punchy and rhythmic and Irish players tend to prefer them. In a band setting though, his mates will have to agree to play and sing in the limited keys the Anglo works in... could work out, but accordion would allow for more options.

Good luck!

My thinking is that his best bet would be an accordion since he already knows about the piano and Flogging Molly uses one; I saw no concertina being played in the few videos I saw.

Thanks, Jody. That seem like the logical step to take.

Hi,

Thanks!

Kellan

Matt Hensley of Flogging Molly plays a Tedrow c/g Anglo

That'd be a sweet Christmas present. Even better than an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time -- it's hard to put an eye out with a concertina.

That'd be a sweet Christmas present. Even better than an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time -- it's hard to put an eye out with a concertina.

A little too sweet for my bank account, but having done just a bit of research on Bob I'm already a huge fan. Now I want to learn to play and start saving for a present for myself!

Granted, the price of entry is a bit steep, but even hybrid concertinas tend to hold much of their value over time.

Also, as one who started out with a Tedrow tweaked Stagi, I would recommend just going ahead and making the leap now to a better instrument. Its cheaper in the long run. (well if there is a trade in program, it might not be, but then again, as you learn more about concertinas, you might decide you want something different in a concertina than Bob's excellent instruments.

--

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
having done just a bit of research on Bob I'm already a huge fan. Now I want to learn to play and start saving for a present for myself!

If only we could get the wonderful Bob to make proper (English) concertinas instead of those silly pully/pushy things. ;)

Funny you should say that because Mick finished the fence in November. I was going to get him to do a bit of interior decorating but he came up with this outlandish idea of painting a mural on the living room ceiling so I told him to hop it. What a weirdo he was! :P

having done just a bit of research on Bob I'm already a huge fan. Now I want to learn to play and start saving for a present for myself!

If only we could get the wonderful Bob to make proper (English) concertinas instead of those silly pully/pushy things. ;)

I second it. It's time for Bob Tedrow to mature and start making those Englishes in two reeded version, octave tuned. Square.

concertina_player1.jpg SILLY

concertina_player2.jpg SOPHISTICATED

Actually, I know of a woman who has an english that Bob made. I was kind of surprised when she showed it to me a year ago.

Alan

Doesn't Bob still make Hayden Duets on special order? And with 52 keys instead of 46?

I keep meaning to ask him re lead time and price.

(Duets, like ECs, don't reverse the bellows so often). --Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer