I'm Selling My Wheatstone Baritone On Ebay

harryandoval

After a great deal of thought, I have decided to sell the Wheatstone Baritone that I acquired from an estate sale a few weeks ago. I will start a 7 day ebay auction on December 4th at noon pst, that should make it easily viewable from Europe and the America's. We are an honest member of ebay with 100% positive feedback.

I have read here on concertina.net that ebay is both good and bad, but will go with my instincts and list on ebay. I hope that all of you will at least go to my auction to look. I will be checking back here daily for comments, pro and con, that will, perhaps, help me to keep my auction true and honest.

This has been a wonderful learning experience for me. I am now a proud owner of three very nice instruments and after selling the Wheatstone will keep the Crabb and the Crane duet. I am learning the treble clef quickly and will be playing simple holiday music on the Crabb with my children ( Rose plays cello and john plays viola) this season.

I have been both inspired and educated on this site. I want to thank you all for your input.

Have a joyful holiday season and keep on pushing those buttons.

Chester Welch

post-6305-1196747095_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1196747340_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1196747350_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1196747554_thumb.jpg

After a great deal of thought, I have decided to sell the Wheatstone Baritone that I acquired from an estate sale a few weeks ago.

Except that the sales slip from Crabb says it's a "Bass", not a baritone.

That makes a big difference.

After a great deal of thought, I have decided to sell the Wheatstone Baritone that I acquired from an estate sale a few weeks ago.

see what I mean! I'm already messing up. Help me get it right. I do believe this receipt is for this concertina. I have uploaded another bit of the puzzle on this reply. I have the Wheatstone nameplate that was attached to this message and the wheatstone in my possession is missing it's nameplate. Confused? You bet! I have had other members refer to it as a Baritone/bass.

post-6305-1196780830_thumb.jpg

After a great deal of thought, I have decided to sell the Wheatstone Baritone that I acquired from an estate sale a few weeks ago. I will start a 7 day ebay auction on December 4th at noon pst, that should make it easily viewable from Europe and the America's. We are an honest member of ebay with 100% positive feedback.

Chester Welch

I see that the invoice describes the Wheatstone as a bass. Which is correct? I would have thought Harry Crabb would know.

Chester,

If you can give us the range of the notes, lowest to highest, compared to a middle C on the piano or electronic tuner then we can help you identify the instrument's category.

The label may be missing but outward appearances say Wheatstone. A picture of the action mechanism will allow positive identification.

You can think of gathering this information as preparation for your auction. All these questions will be asked along with tuning in relation to A=440 standard, pictures of the reed pan and condition of the bellows.

You are correct in that a proper description in the auction heading will insure the interest of serious bidders.

Greg

Paul,

It is a likely assumption that the letter from Crabb is refering to the instrument that Chester is selling, but I did not see the

serial # mentioned. If eBay has taught me anything, it is to assume nothing. I think it will be in Chester's best auction interest to positively identify the type and make of his instrument prior to auction. Yes?

Greg

see what I mean! I'm already messing up. Help me get it right. I do believe this receipt is for this concertina. I have uploaded another bit of the puzzle on this reply. I have the Wheatstone nameplate that was attached to this message and the wheatstone in my possession is missing it's nameplate. Confused? You bet! I have had other members refer to it as a Baritone/bass.

Two letters. One seems to be an invoice for a "bass" English concertina. By appearance, that's the one with serial #22118. The other appears to refer to a new 56-button tenor-treble to be built by Crabb. #22118 has 64 buttons, so is clearly not the tenor-treble referred to in the second letter.

If #22118 is a bass, it's lowest note should be C two octaves below middle C. If that lowest C is on the left-hand end, then it's a standard "bass". If that lowest C is on the right-hand end, then it's a "bass-baritone".

If the lowest note is the G or F above that "bass" C (1½ octaves below middle C), then #22118 is some kind of "baritone". If so, and if that lowest note is G (in the right hand), then it's a standard "baritone". But if that lowest note is F (also in the right hand), then it's a "baritone-treble".

Aha! The pattern of the buttons on the two ends isn't identical. The left-hand end has 4 "rows" of 8 buttons each, while the right hand rows have respectively 7, 8, 9, and 8 buttons. That's the 64- button pattern for tenor-treble, baritone-treble, or bass-baritone. If it were a "normal" bass or baritione, I believe the patterns of the two ends would be switched. My money is on it being a bass-baritone. (Oh, if only I had enough money to put in a bid for it! :()

Paul,

It is a likely assumption that the letter from Crabb is refering to the instrument that Chester is selling, but I did not see the

serial # mentioned. If eBay has taught me anything, it is to assume nothing. I think it will be in Chester's best auction interest to positively identify the type and make of his instrument prior to auction. Yes?

Greg

hi Greg,

Absolutely correct. I would want to identify it exactly to avoid too many questions and disappointed winners. Jim has added some good info to work with.

Paul,

Greg

hi Greg,

Absolutely correct. I would want to identify it exactly to avoid too many questions and disappointed winners. Jim has added some good info to work with.

I certainly don't want to disappoint anyone on this concertina. It is a wonderful instrument!

The information about key arrangements and range of notes has me befuddled and I am now going to put off starting the auction until I have gone to a local music store and know more for certain.

Chester,

Jim Lucas could probably tell you very quickly how your instrument would compare to Rose's cello.

(I would have to look it up!) Then you would have a good idea of the range of your instrument and its proper classification.

Somewhere on cnet Geoff Crabb has posted a brilliant picture of a piano keyboard and its relationship to the concertina family. If you search and find it, print it out it will be an invaluable aid on a trip to the music store.

Greg

It took about 6 minutes of searching but here is a link to Geoff's post. In the post is a link to his attachment that shows the relationship of the concertina family to a piano keyboard.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...p;hl=&st=25

Greg

Argghh! You will have to use a little ingenuity and scroll down a few posts. Now I'm behind and i literally have a train to catch!

Best of luck!

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

This afternoon I took the concertina to my old cello teacher. She loved it! I copied your post on here and took it with me. We easily figured that this is indeed a bass-baritone. She is second chair cello in several orchestras and is well schooled, not to mention, also cute. :rolleyes: She said that it was in concert pitch, A=440. Every note plays true. My guess is that when Hy. Crabb sold it to Loomis , it had been "gone over" and was not treated harshly after.

I really, once again, have to thank the members of concertina.net for your kind help.

I have been contacted by private email about the Wheatstone and am considering an offer from one member. I may never list this on ebay. Only the woodland sprites seem to know my mind and they're not talking.....LOL.

Someone should have said 'Well done, you won't regret it' about keeping the others. Good choice, and what cracking instruments to start on. Glad you're joining us.

Thank you. I'm a little "puffed up" about it all. Like a new daddy.

:P

I really, once again, have to thank the members of concertina.net for your kind help.

I have been contacted by private email about the Wheatstone and am considering an offer from one member. I may never list this on ebay.

In that case, I'll make a quick pitch for the enterprise here; if you succeed in selling through C.net you might consider making a donation (see the pinned topic on the Buy/Sell subforum). Cheaper than ebay, and helps us pay for the (ever growing) server space that holds all your nice photos. Thanks.

Ken, assistant bottle-washer at C.net

I have been contacted by private email about the Wheatstone and am considering an offer from one member. I may never list this on ebay.

In that case, I'll make a quick pitch for the enterprise here; if you succeed in selling through C.net you might consider making a donation (see the pinned topic on the Buy/Sell subforum). Cheaper than ebay, and helps us pay for the (ever growing) server space that holds all your nice photos. Thanks.

Ken, assistant bottle-washer at C.net

I have yet to figure out how to list this on cnet. This site has been good to me and I will be appreciative.

Chester,

I have sent you a couple of personal messages via this forum but received no reply. Could you please contact me concerning your bass/baritone by clicking my name in the upper left of the post box and sending a pm.

Thank you,

Greg