Help Request: Reading The Ledger ...

RobSay

In my experience the 81 frets designation is for fretwork that includes openings between the buttons.

The effect is quite similar to to the Edeophone treatment in the same area.

I have a dim memory of someone speculating that this *might* be an indication of cooperation between Wheatstone and Lachenal decades before their merger. Comments from the experts, please!

The two 81 fret instruments I have played (Aeola and hex) had great reeds and were quite loud.

Greg

Thanks guys - v. helpful.

In my experience the 81 frets designation is for fretwork that includes openings between the buttons.

The effect is quite similar to to the Edeophone treatment in the same area.

The two 81 fret instruments I have played (Aeola and hex) had great reeds and were quite loud.

And the instrument has just this type of open fretwork between the buttons - bonus points to you.

cheers

Rob

Interesting, Greg...........how did you figure this out.

I posted a question her a couple of years ago about the open fretwork between the keys. My Tenor Treble (1914) has this open fretwork but no mention of "81 frets" in the Ledgers......................I tried to access all my posts to find the previous thread but can't.............is it a function of this site ?

Regards Robin

(I recently sent you a pic, in a PM,of the finish on this T/T.)

Interesting, Greg...........how did you figure this out.

I posted a question her a couple of years ago about the open fretwork between the keys. My Tenor Treble (1914) has this open fretwork but no mention of "81 frets" in the Ledgers......................I tried to access all my posts to find the previous thread but can't.............is it a function of this site ?

Regards Robin

(I recently sent you a pic, in a PM,of the finish on this T/T.)

I am guessing from limited experience and false information. ("Fools rush in where....")

After Robin's inquiry I went back to the ledgers and discovered that, contary to my memory, my Aeola #26063 does NOT have an 81 fret designation. I scanned the ledgers back to #25000 and saw no 81 fret annotations. I then went forward in the ledgers and found an 81 fret designation for #26238, which in my quick scan was the chronologically first 81 fret designation I saw.

So my supposition of the 81 fret annotation indicating fretwork between the buttons begs for corraboration or refutation. (I will ask Chris algar if he has any insight.)

I can stand by my statement that this limited sampling of two with fretwork between the buttons did possess outstanding reeds with great response and volume.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Chris Algar could shed no light on the "81 fret" annotation. He promised to note any instruments with fretwork between the buttons and see if there was a ledger correlation.

In the meantime perhaps it is up to us. Does anyone have a Wheatstone english made after 1913 with fretwork between the buttons? Do the Wheatstone ledgers have an 81 fret designation for your instrument?

Data input appreciated.

Greg

Aha, very interesting! Sometimes the only way of knowing what something means in the ledgers is to look at the actual instrument(s), if and when they obligingly present themselves for inspection... I think you could be onto something here Greg, though why "81 Frets" I wonder - could it have anything to do with the figure-of-eight shape of the fretwork around adjacent buttons, or what?

It has been suggested that this fretwork (and likewise the occasional use of rivetted actions in Edeophones) point to collaboration between Wheatstone's and Lachenal's, though the Wheatstone cutout between the buttons is simpler and I don't see any hard evidence. However, though the two firms tended to protest their independance, their respective owners do seem to have been on amicable terms, seeing that I have in my possession a post card from the Ballinger family (owners of Lachenal's) to the Chidleys (owners of Wheatstone's). Perhaps sometimes the same people carried out work for both?

Edited by Stephen Chambers