William Winter's Quantocks Tune Book

Pete Dunk

Valmai Goodyear thought this subject to be worthy of its' own thread so here goes.

A recently released tune book and CD set are available here. As it is a reprint of a player's repertoire some of the tunes will be familiar to all, but the vast majority were unknown to me. Forgotten for 150 years it's a feast of material waiting to be brought back to life.

,............as we speak, this is winging it's way to me in Ontario as a Christmas present from my Father.I'll let you know about it.

Lydeard St Lawrence is the next village over from where I was raised,Bishops Lydeard.

I used to work there as a farmers boy when I was a teenager. Yep, the farmer had three daughters (true). No, never married one of them or even went nutting in the wood !.

Robin

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this as a Christmas present for my other half Sally and she is delighted with it. There is also a CD included with 32 of the 450+ tunes played by Rob Harbron (tenor/treble Wheatstone Aeola), Nancy Kerr (fiddle), Miranda Rutter (fiddle) and Tim van Eyken (melodeon) and a fine job they make of it too.

So what do you think of it Robin?

Pete.

So what do you think of it Robin?

Pete.

A load of Quantocks, perhaps? :unsure: Seriously though, it's a delightful collection of tunes. My partner Rosie and I bought a copy of it a few months ago. Looking through the tune book, I found that I had already come across versions of quite a few of the tunes from other sources but that didn't surprise me, given the continuing popularity of many of the tunes and William Wynter's original sources. It's extremely good value for just Eighteen English pounds, with the added bonus of a CD containing a number of the tunes played by some outstanding folk musicians, to give a flavour of how they can sound and great as an aid to learning them by ear for those who do not read music notation. Highly recommended. :)

Chris

Cheers for the heads-up, Pete. I think I saw this reviewed in the latest EFDSS magazine, but I didn't register the quality of the accompanying CD. (This is especially important for me, cos I'm crap at reading music :unsure: )

Cheers for the heads-up, Pete. I think I saw this reviewed in the latest EFDSS magazine, but I didn't register the quality of the accompanying CD. (This is especially important for me, cos I'm crap at reading music :unsure: )

No worries mate, if you get a copy I'll transpose some of the other tunes to abc for you to put through the Tune-O-Tron, that way you'll be able to play back the midi file to get used to the tunes. :D

Hi, I haven't really had to time to do it any justice yet. Mainly because I've also just got these books of tunes...

1.........Hampshire Dance tunes ( from 1822 Pyle MS) Ed.Bob Shatwell and Paul Sartin

Also has a CD with some wonderful duet playing Tim Laycock.This is a really interesting book as I think almost none of the tunes were previously known, and the CD is terrific to listen to.

http://www.wildgoose.co.uk/displayAlbum.asp?PRODUCT_ID=124

2......Pride of Place.Music Book of Frrances Prideaux Brune. 94 tunes written around 1730

ISBN 978 1 903963 30 2 Lots of Minuets

pub Lyngham House Music, St. Ervan, Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27 7RT

3.....Ilow Kernow Cornish Instrumental Tradition Mike O'Connor

ISBN 978 1 903963 31 9

pub Lyngham House Music, St. Ervan, Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27 7RT

4....The Golowan Band Tune book.Just 21 tunes but some crackers for session etc

email Alan at alan@qdconsult.co.uk

Finally,I think quite a few might have this , but I can't remeber id it's been discussed brfore.

5.....Hardcore English..300 Cracking Tunes Pub.EFDSS

Also available is a 2 CD set......again a fantastic resouce for English Traditional Music.

http://www.efdss.org/news.htm

Robin

Finally,I think quite a few might have this , but I can't remeber id it's been discussed brfore.

5.....Hardcore English..300 Cracking Tunes Pub.EFDSS

Also available is a 2 CD set......again a fantastic resouce for English Traditional Music.

http://www.efdss.org/news.htm

Robin

I got this for Christmas with the CD - lucky me! I have been practicing for a gig this coming saturday but after that I look forward to working my way through "Hardcore English". I like the presentation in this book giving alternative tune names and where known the MS the tune came from and any changes/similarities. :D

No worries mate, if you get a copy I'll transpose some of the other tunes to abc for you to put through the Tune-O-Tron, that way you'll be able to play back the midi file to get used to the tunes. :D

What a man. B)